GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Anyone feel the headlights are factory adjusted too low?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-17 | 09:48 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 231 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Wincer94
Thanks. Did you adjust yours? If so, how many full turns? I've only driven it once at night and noticed that the HID on 2015 is more uniformed and maybe even covers wider area. LED on 2016 seems whiter or just tad brigther
I turned it around 4 times, but I think I'll turn it a few more. Not as important since we have auto-high beam.
Old 01-05-17 | 10:23 AM
atrac7
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow I thought it was just my bulbs going dull or something. I have remarked to others when driving that the HIDs in lexus are disappointing compared to previous cars I've owned. I had no idea lexus by default would have the beams pointing so low.

My car has adaptive headlights (2013 lux pkg)...just to verify, I can still do these same adjustments that were mentioned, right? Just no horizontal movements since that is apparently locked in the USA?

I just don't want to mess anything up with the adaptive aspect of the headlights.
Old 01-05-17 | 10:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,781 Likes on 1,986 Posts

Yep, you can still make the same adjustments. I had the same car, made a big difference.

My LS is the same way, but it's much harder to adjust...
Old 01-05-17 | 08:19 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by atrac7
Wow I thought it was just my bulbs going dull or something. I have remarked to others when driving that the HIDs in lexus are disappointing compared to previous cars I've owned. I had no idea lexus by default would have the beams pointing so low.

My car has adaptive headlights (2013 lux pkg)...just to verify, I can still do these same adjustments that were mentioned, right? Just no horizontal movements since that is apparently locked in the USA?

I just don't want to mess anything up with the adaptive aspect of the headlights.
You can adjust them with AFL (lux package). The screws exist for both vertical/horizontal and the official instructions recommend you adjust them in unison, I don't recall any caveats for AFL equipped cars.

EDIT / UPDATE I just confirmed on my '14 Lux what SW15LS confirmed, you can adjust up/down and left/right. Let's hope tomorrow I don't discover that I mucked up my beam alignment.

Last edited by spoogenet; 01-05-17 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-10-17 | 07:35 PM
atrac7
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you both SW15 & spoogenet -- appreciate the responses.

I think I would like to focus on up/down first before going to left/right adjustments. I too am worried about screwing them up, but this is something I would eventually want to do. I say this because at times, when I drive around a corner:
  • Swiveling back/return of headlights seems narrow on the surface in terms of where the beam rests at (I hope this makes sense...I am talking about when the adaptive lights "resetting" back to neutral after a turn)
  • Quality and depth of light output just doesn't seem what I would expect...narrow view of sight, depth going forward seems shallow compared to previous cars
  • if to characterize it, it's almost as if my headlights are "cross-eyed" in neutral position..
So sounds like I need to adjust all aspects of my headlights. Again, don't want to make things worse though. Thanks again guys
Old 11-13-18 | 12:28 PM
4gs1993
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight level

Originally Posted by fsportjay
I had to adjust mine after I lowered my car. Very easy to do.

I just lowered my car on swift springs and now I’m getting a headlight level error. Did you have the same thing and how did you correct it?
Old 08-21-21 | 07:10 AM
bmwjavier
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus

Hi, please, can you tell me if i must adjust bolt 1 and 3 or bolt 1 and 2? My car is european so I must turn bolt 2 or 3 the same number of turns and in the same direction as bolt 1, That's right?

My factroy adjusted is too low... If i turn it around 5 times It will be enough? Must I turn off AFS before the adjusment?

Thanks in advanced,

Pd. In my car I can´t see the 45º cutoff slope......

Last edited by bmwjavier; 08-21-21 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-21-21 | 06:56 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,648 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwjavier

Hi, please, can you tell me if i must adjust bolt 1 and 3 or bolt 1 and 2? My car is european so I must turn bolt 2 or 3 the same number of turns and in the same direction as bolt 1, That's right?

My factroy adjusted is too low... If i turn it around 5 times It will be enough? Must I turn off AFS before the adjusment?

Thanks in advanced,

Pd. In my car I can´t see the 45º cutoff slope......

With your car being a Euro model I believe the headlights are very different. I'm not sure if you'll have a 45° cutoff like U.S. models.

Your adjustment procedure may be ***-backwards from U.S. models. I really do not know and any advice I'd give on a Euro model would be a total guess.
Old 08-21-21 | 09:38 PM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

I wish the owners manual had the same instructions as my IS has. The IS gives you measurements to where your beams should be pointing at a given distance. I had to adjust my IS 250 back in the day and I adjusted them to the manual. It made a big difference. I guess one could take those same instructions and just adjust them for the ride height of the headlamps on the GS. The IS instructions are located on the pdf here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-uneven-2.html

I had to raise the headlights on my GS. I did 5 turns on the driver side and 4 turns on the passenger.

Last edited by firelikeiy; 08-21-21 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-22-21 | 02:57 PM
bmwjavier
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
With your car being a Euro model I believe the headlights are very different. I'm not sure if you'll have a 45° cutoff like U.S. models.

Your adjustment procedure may be ***-backwards from U.S. models. I really do not know and any advice I'd give on a Euro model would be a total guess.
My headlight are LED with AFS....
Old 08-22-21 | 04:26 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,052 Likes on 666 Posts

Out of all the Lexus cars I've had through the years, the GS is the only one with the headlight issue. Same deal with my 2014 and now the 2019 is too low too! 3-4 turns clockwise is good. 5 is too high I think.

The ES and RC are fine and were adjusted at the proper height from the factory.
Old 08-23-21 | 10:04 AM
grayson73
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

When you say 3-4 turns, do you mean 360 degree turns?
Old 08-23-21 | 10:41 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,052 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by grayson73
When you say 3-4 turns, do you mean 360 degree turns?
Oh yes, sorry I missed that part! Complete full 360 degree turns.
Old 08-23-21 | 12:39 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,431 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Out of all the Lexus cars I've had through the years, the GS is the only one with the headlight issue. Same deal with my 2014 and now the 2019 is too low too! 3-4 turns clockwise is good. 5 is too high I think.

The ES and RC are fine and were adjusted at the proper height from the factory.
My ES350 U/L with HID's came straight from the Factory too Low. My GS too. I could hardly see out in front at night. I thought I was going to hit something in the road at night. It was that bad.
Old 08-27-21 | 08:59 PM
ChicagoGSf
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed 100% bring them up makes a world of difference.

Quick Reply: Anyone feel the headlights are factory adjusted too low?