GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Anyone feel the headlights are factory adjusted too low?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-14, 07:12 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,537 Posts
Question Anyone feel the headlights are factory adjusted too low?

Anyone feel the headlights are factory adjusted too low? Maybe it's just me, but I don't believe the headlights are factory adjusted high enough because the headlight coverage distance is not as good as I'm used to seeing.

I believe I will adjust my headlights for a slightly higher (upward) aim to see if it improves the distance the headlights cover.
Old 12-09-14, 07:25 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I see I'm not alone in finding that the headlights are factory adjusted (aimed) too low.

Headlight adjustment help
The following users liked this post:
Shello (12-28-21)
Old 12-09-14, 08:44 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Yup same here...i adjusted mines one week after purchased because my dads 2009 Camry with Halogen bulbs lit up the road better than my 2014 GS 350 just because Lexus set it at factory way too low. Adjusting the lighys aim is as easy as opening hood and using screwdriver and looking through peep holes and rotate the screw until aim is satisfactory.

Now my GS lights up the road like a boss. God I love HIDs.
Old 12-09-14, 11:11 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my 2015 looks perfect
Old 12-10-14, 05:56 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I always thought it was disappointing, that and I can hardly see at night lol I'll have to try this when I get home!
The following users liked this post:
Shello (12-28-21)
Old 12-10-14, 06:15 AM
ZbynekZ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adaptive LEDs are OK. Miles better then adaptive HIDs in 3gen...

IMO much better look then HIDs:

Old 12-10-14, 06:38 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ZbynekZ
Adaptive LEDs are OK. Miles better then adaptive HIDs in 3gen... IMO much better look then HIDs:
our gas F Sports don't have LEDs though
Old 12-10-14, 06:40 AM
ZbynekZ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neither 2015?
Old 12-10-14, 07:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Very common with HIDs. They can be adjusted.
Old 12-10-14, 07:52 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

OMG, I thought it was just me. Thanks guys. I'm going to adjust them!
Old 12-10-14, 07:55 AM
0mghi2u
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Converted to led headlights and what a difference from old hid Lights
Attached Thumbnails Anyone feel the headlights are factory adjusted too low?-image.jpg  
Old 12-10-14, 08:32 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Yep I'm happy after I raised mine the day I got the car better visibility.
Old 12-10-14, 09:37 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post8161997

5 turns clockwise, both holes on driver/passenger side.
Old 12-10-14, 09:53 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I just adjusted my headlights 2" vertically higher (upward) at a distance of 12'. I'm guessing this might reflect an additional few degrees in vertical elevation of the headlights' beam, which (like shooting a rifle or hitting a golf ball) a few degrees at or near the source or takeoff (e.g. 12' from the headlight) makes a significant difference in carry or dispersion the further the light beam (or bullet or golf ball) is in distance away from the source.

I was able to backup the car inside my garage where the floor (and of course the car) was level and the distance from the headlights on the car to the back wall of my garage was 12 feet. I turned on the low beam headlights and placed a small piece of blue painter's tape exactly in the middle of the 45° cutoff slope that the headlight beam projects on the wall so I would have a reference of where I began. This beginning reference measurement was 25" above the floor. I then measured the height from the floor to the center-line of the headlights, which in my case (car is not dropped/lowered) was 27 1/4". I then measured the distance between the headlights (which was 53" center-to-center) so I could see if my vertical adjustment altered the headlight's horizontal aiming. Both headlight beams were aimed 2 /1/4" (as measured in the middle of the 45° slope angle) below the center-line height of the headlights on the car at a projected distance of 12'. I decided to adjust my headlights upward by 2" to 27", which means my headlights are now aimed downward (from dead level) just 1/4" at 12' (as measured in the middle of the 45° slope angle). The standard measuring distance is usually described at around 25', in which case my 1/4" below dead level would likely increase to maybe 1/2" at a distance of 25'. My point of aim was measured exactly in the middle (midway) of the 45° slope angle of the cutoffs (see image image below). I was somewhat surprised how distinct the projected cutoff was (straight line, then a 45° slope angle, then another straight line). At 12' distance I was probably better able to make exacting pinpoint measurements/adjustments than if I was at an increased distance of 25'.

I used a #2 Phillips Head screwdriver with an 8" shank (not including handle) to make the adjustment through the dedicated holes in the under-hood trim. I did not have to take any trim pieces off under the hood. Once you know where the adjustment fitting (that accepts the Phillips Head) is located so you can angle the screwdriver correctly, the adjustment process is straightforward and easy. As I watched the headlight's projected beam on the garage wall I turned the screwdriver clockwise (as in 'tightening') about 6-7 hand twists (90° - 120° each hand twist/turn) to raise the beam height upward the 2" I wanted. After the second hand twist I could see that the beam height had moved upward from my blue painter's tape beginning reference mark. Even with all the measuring it took just 10-15 minutes.

Note: I could not see that the horizontal (left-right) adjustment of the headlights had changed at all as I raised both headlights' beam upward by 2" to achieve my new aiming position. However, the directions say to turn the L-R (horizontal) adjustment the same number of turns and in the same direction (clockwise in my case because I was raising the beam upward) that you changed the U-D (vertical) adjustment, but I did not see where that was needed. The horizontal (L-R) direction did not change any, nor did the distance (53") between the beam aims on the garage wall (as measured exactly in the middle of the 45° slope angles of the cutoffs) change. I had read a post in one of the IS model forums of CL that others did not have to correct their R-L (horizontal) aim due to changing their vertical (U-D) aim.

So, tonight I will see if the distance projection of my headlights is better. It should help a significant amount to project the light further into the distance. After this adjustment I am at the maximum upward limit now (projecting the beam at just 1/4" below the level of the headlights at 12'), and cannot go any higher with the beam aim, otherwise the projected beam would then be exactly level with the headlights on my car (which is never recommended) and could be a distraction for oncoming cars. I will pay particular attention to see if any oncoming cars blink their lights at me because my headlights are distracting, thinking I have my high-beam headlights turned on. If that happens I will lower my beam aim a touch.

Hopefully this will help others to check and/or adjust their headlights...

4GS Headlight Adjustment Help

Last edited by bclexus; 12-10-14 at 05:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
KVelasqu3z (12-02-20), Niralsp88 (09-19-20)
Old 12-10-14, 12:07 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 0mghi2u
Converted to led headlights and what a difference from old hid Lights
4GS LED headlight: my wish list for x'mas to Santa.

18K price tag Corolla have standard factory LED headlight. That's how cheap Lexus is.

Quick Reply: Anyone feel the headlights are factory adjusted too low?