GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

The way others handle your car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-15, 05:43 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

It's on the lip of the tire, u know some tires have a guard lip to protect ur rims.

I drove on it going 80 MPH for 80+ miles today.
Old 01-07-15, 06:43 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
It's on the lip of the tire, u know some tires have a guard lip to protect ur rims.

I drove on it going 80 MPH for 80+ miles today.
Oh, okay. That tire only has cosmetic damage, and in no way will it have a safety issue. You may want to consider leaving it until it's time to replace tires.
Old 01-08-15, 01:47 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This gets under my skin, and I wouldnt have it...

Since as you said the car wash guy is “decent” get a quote for the repair and have him pay for damages he caused. That would likely have him be more careful in the future when washing your Lexus! Of course then you have to scrutinize the work performed by the dealer after the install.. it’s tough out there with the total lack of care found in todays level of service from my experiences.

Maybe I am obsessive, but personally I will do anything it takes to forego having anyone touch my car, ever. I am even really careful about what I am wearing in my car and how clean my clothes are, how I get in and out of the car, my methods for sitting onto the seat, and releasing the seat belt. I hand wash my own car with brand new clean chenille mitts and chamois I rinse frequently during one session, I do my own maintenance (when the time comes), and anytime I find road grime, tree sap, bird stuff, or anything on my paint I get rid of it asap.

Why all this? Because I am ultra picky about the condition of my car and feel no stranger is ever going to treat my car like it was their own. Even if so, they just don’t care about their own car the way I do about mine!

My last car - I had a Land Rover dealer buy my Range Rover Supercharged back because every time they worked on the car I found damages, scuffs, rattles, loose trim, cracked parts, missing bolts, etc. that they caused or overlooked. They found it easier to simply buy the car back and refund me 100% (all payments, tax, interest, every last cent) after about 8 months and them pouring over $20 grand into repairs, some of which was their fault some of it was not. The GM personally apologized to me (as she handed me a hefty check) for the lackluster service within their dept. agreeing with my viewpoint that a vehicle in that price range should be handled with the utmost quality of service, especially by the "trained technicians". There was so much work done, it raised a flag at their parent dealer corp, and Land Rover, so she was eager to escape my wrath at that point!

If you think the car wash guy is that cool and this doesn't bother you however, I say more power to you! Go ahead and keep handing him your cash, understanding the risk you are taking going there... Good luck!
Old 01-08-15, 02:14 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Atomic350F
This gets under my skin, and I wouldnt have it...

Since as you said the car wash guy is “decent” get a quote for the repair and have him pay for damages he caused. That would likely have him be more careful in the future when washing your Lexus! Of course then you have to scrutinize the work performed by the dealer after the install.. it’s tough out there with the total lack of care found in todays level of service from my experiences.

Maybe I am obsessive, but personally I will do anything it takes to forego having anyone touch my car, ever. I am even really careful about what I am wearing in my car and how clean my clothes are, how I get in and out of the car, my methods for sitting onto the seat, and releasing the seat belt. I hand wash my own car with brand new clean chenille mitts and chamois I rinse frequently during one session, I do my own maintenance (when the time comes), and anytime I find road grime, tree sap, bird stuff, or anything on my paint I get rid of it asap.

Why all this? Because I am ultra picky about the condition of my car and feel no stranger is ever going to treat my car like it was their own. Even if so, they just don’t care about their own car the way I do about mine!

My last car - I had a Land Rover dealer buy my Range Rover Supercharged back because every time they worked on the car I found damages, scuffs, rattles, loose trim, cracked parts, missing bolts, etc. that they caused or overlooked. They found it easier to simply buy the car back and refund me 100% (all payments, tax, interest, every last cent) after about 8 months and them pouring over $20 grand into repairs, some of which was their fault some of it was not. The GM personally apologized to me (as she handed me a hefty check) for the lackluster service within their dept. agreeing with my viewpoint that a vehicle in that price range should be handled with the utmost quality of service, especially by the "trained technicians". There was so much work done, it raised a flag at their parent dealer corp, and Land Rover, so she was eager to escape my wrath at that point!

If you think the car wash guy is that cool and this doesn't bother you however, I say more power to you! Go ahead and keep handing him your cash, understanding the risk you are taking going there... Good luck!
I am like u too, a little ding drives me nuts.

Unfortunately my laziness got me good this time and from now on I'm going to wash this car myself!

I've had my dealer fixed my rear wheel before and it came out really good, so I trust them and plus blending in paint isn't really something I can do myself. As for the tires I'm hoping they're going to replace it for free, if not I'll just glue that piece back on and use it until I need to get a new set.

Any ideas on tire glue? Will super glue work for this?
Old 01-08-15, 04:11 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

douchbags are usually rough with cars they are envious of. I saw one time how the valet was driving / parking my vehicle and i got real pissed off. No valet or car wash guy will ever drive my car again. When i go to a restaurant or events now i tell the valet i want to park my own vehicle.
Old 01-09-15, 08:27 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Here's a closer look at my bad luck..

I also noticed a hardened brake dust on the edge of my wheel and it looked like a scrape mark, but after rubbing with my finger nail it comes off but it's really hard. But that scratch u see is really a scrape mark from the guide rail.
Old 01-09-15, 09:03 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Well, it looks to me like not only is the 'rim protector' or 'scuff guard' torn (which is just cosmetic damage), but the tear goes down into the sidewall of the tire. The 'rim protector' or 'scruff guard' being torn is okay (from a structural standpoint) and is only cosmetic because it is meant to be sacrificial if necessary. However, (if I am looking at your image correctly) I am seeing the tear (that might start or begin up where the protector/guard is located) goes down into the sidewall of the tire. In my opinion, that is definitely not good. If it was my damaged tire, I would most definitely replace that tire with a new one...and I might have to replace both front tires because of tread depth difference. The question now becomes; if you replace just one tire with a new tire - will the other front tire that was not replaced have a distinct difference in tread depth?
Old 01-09-15, 09:10 AM
YotaLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, this more than likely happened from buttons on pockets. I have done similar damage to my car..... It's because my seat is back so far and I usually brush agains that panel stepping into the car.
Originally Posted by modthispny
so, not a big deal, its just the side trim near the seat belt, but how rough does someone have to be with a seat belt for it to leave such a deep scratch.

guessing was the car wash guy, he's a super nice guy and does a decent job, but man, not so rough! lol

Old 01-09-15, 09:19 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
Well, it looks to me like not only is the 'rim protector' or 'scuff guard' torn (which is just cosmetic damage), but the tear goes down into the sidewall of the tire. The 'rim protector' or 'scruff guard' being torn is okay (from a structural standpoint) and is only cosmetic because it is meant to be sacrificial if necessary. However, (if I am looking at your image correctly) I am seeing the tear (that might start or begin up where the protector/guard is located) goes down into the sidewall of the tire. In my opinion, that is definitely not good. If it was my damaged tire, I would most definitely replace that tire with a new one...and I might have to replace both front tires because of tread depth difference. The question now becomes; if you replace just one tire with a new tire - will the other front tire that was not replaced have a distinct difference in tread depth?
They measured it and it's at 9/32 now, I have 5K miles on them. I don't see any chords showing though but I'm going to push them to give me a replacement. I think a new tire with thicker tread is better than a damaged one.
Old 01-09-15, 09:22 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I would not be concerned with the other (non-damaged) tire having 5k more miles on it than the new tire you hope to get.
Old 01-09-15, 10:07 AM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

I am like u too, a little ding drives me nuts.

Unfortunately my laziness got me good this time and from now on I'm going to wash this car myself!

I've had my dealer fixed my rear wheel before and it came out really good, so I trust them and plus blending in paint isn't really something I can do myself. As for the tires I'm hoping they're going to replace it for free, if not I'll just glue that piece back on and use it until I need to get a new set.

Any ideas on tire glue? Will super glue work for this?
Glad to hear I may not be the only obsessive one here when it comes to these things!

And yes, sometimes it is better to leave things in others hands although I hold them to high standards and try to avoid this when feasible.

As for your tire, again I am dang particular, but I would just go and replace that thing. I would not trust that gash to stay that size and not tear right open say if I want to exceed triple digits on the highway, or blast the car around some mountain curves. This could be a case where you are trying to save a couple hundred bucks, that could turn into a real disaster down the road..

I like to drive aggressively though, and I always feel safety is not something to take lightly at the same time (although this may sound contradictory admittedly!).

I am no tire expert though, this is just my thoughts on the matter! Maybe get an opinion from a tire shop?
Old 01-09-15, 10:29 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

I'm bringing it in on Tuesday for the wheel repair, I'll see if they'll replace it or not, and if not I'll just go to my tire shop (America's Tire) and buy a new tire. They do credit ur old tire depending on the tread life right? So that means I'm not paying full price on it?
Old 01-09-15, 11:51 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I'm bringing it in on Tuesday for the wheel repair, I'll see if they'll replace it or not, and if not I'll just go to my tire shop (America's Tire) and buy a new tire. They do credit ur old tire depending on the tread life right? So that means I'm not paying full price on it?
Not sure what you are referring to about the credit...unless you have road hazard replacement tire coverage. Even then they may not honor the replacement if they are told how it was damaged. Maybe they'll replace the damaged tire based on thinking it was damaged while driving on the road and hitting a piece of metal or something similar...in lieu of the conveyor track at a car wash damaging it.
Old 01-09-15, 12:04 PM
Atomic350F
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bclexus
Not sure what you are referring to about the credit...unless you have road hazard replacement tire coverage. Even then they may not honor the replacement if they are told how it was damaged. Maybe they'll replace the damaged tire based on thinking it was damaged while driving on the road and hitting a piece of metal or something similar...in lieu of the conveyor track at a car wash damaging it.
I agree, they may change it if you have the warranty and dont get specific about how it happened.. you just noticed it when you walked up to the car in the parking lot today.

As far as them giving you money for "trade-ins" this is correct, Americas Tire is the only company I know of that does this. However it kinda sucks!

My experience: I wanted to trade my brand spankin new 200 mile only Dunlops for some Michelin Super Sports - they offered me $25 per tire!!

In their defense they stated the quote was "lower than normal" due to the unpopular and staggered sizing found on the F Sport 19" wheels. Needless to say for that price I am going to run the Dunlops until they disintegrate, or get gashed like yours!
Old 01-09-15, 12:41 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

That's exactly what I'm going to tell them. It just happened.

And I have the tire protection Plus. I know this covers the wheel cause they fixed it once and they told me there is no limit on that one. But don't know about tires yet.

Quick Reply: The way others handle your car.