GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Test drove the new 435i M pkg today

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-14, 11:52 PM
rebornkhj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
All these BMW vs Lexus comparisons made me happy.

It looks like I picked the right car.
That's exactly how I feel right now specially even more since yesterday.
I just looked up 435i problems (1st year production car),
some people already have problems with fuel pump problem symptom like.
ex)towed twice even though it has less than 5000 miles

I trust lexus reliability and thank to F-Sport line.
Old 12-28-14, 12:20 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Based on my readings and friends' stories, BMWs are plagued with problems, regardless of 1st year production or not, am I wrong?
Old 12-28-14, 12:24 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Not wrong at all. BMWs are not made for long term ownership, IMHO. They're only good for a 2-3 year lease...then returned long before the warranty expires. You'll notice a ton of BMW lease returns filling up many used car lots.
Old 12-28-14, 01:01 AM
rebornkhj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by islandbeef
Not wrong at all. BMWs are not made for long term ownership, IMHO. They're only good for a 2-3 year lease...then returned long before the warranty expires. You'll notice a ton of BMW lease returns filling up many used car lots.
That is so true.
When I thought about getting BMW this year, one of my friend from California who is a
manager at foreign auto body shop told me to only lease if I`m getting BMW.
Old 12-28-14, 09:54 AM
Voogru
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

The only way to get a Merc or BMW is lease, period.
Old 12-28-14, 12:47 PM
tknx
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Voogru
The only way to get a Merc or BMW is lease, period.
I think Mercedes has clawed their way out of that reliability nightmare. They are at least reasonable at this point.

Out of warranty - I'd say Lexus is essentially trouble-free, Mercedes is fair, BMW is bad and Audi is absolutely terrible.

The shame is that Audi is selling like mad, but Lexus just seems stuck - the GS is definitely not selling as well as it should given how good of a car it is.
Old 12-28-14, 01:17 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by islandbeef
That's why I backed away from a 5 series. I'm a 6-8 year owner and the reliability and cost of maintenance of a BMW is just not equal to a Lexus. If I was a 2 or 3 year leaser, I might have gone Bimmer.
Old 12-28-14, 01:34 PM
wfibear
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tknx
Out of warranty - I'd say Lexus is essentially trouble-free, Mercedes is fair, BMW is bad and Audi is absolutely terrible.
I'd say this is an entirely fair assessment based on my experience and the experiences of folks I have spoken with personally. I made the mistake of buying an Audi when many were saying "oh all VW-made automobiles are much more reliable these days." Yeah...no.

Some will say that those who have the money to afford a BMW/Merc/whatever probably don't care about paying for the maintenance. I say it's not just the money; its a huge hassle having a car in the shop too much. I'd rather not deal with it. That's probably why the majority of bimmer sales are leases, too.
Old 12-28-14, 01:46 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

The less GS on the road the better for me! It's like the LFA, I don't want this car to be like Corollas and Camrys where u see them everywhere.
Old 12-28-14, 04:21 PM
whazzup
Driver School Candidate

I have a Lexus RX and was looking at the GS as well as BMW. I decided on the BMW 428 for a number of reasons. It's not for better reliability as Lexus is better (not my problem with a lease, however). It's not for better service since my Lexus dealer is ridiculously incredible. I wanted a smaller car and I didn't fit well in the IS and I didn't want to spend as much as the GS. And finally, the 4 gran coupe is a hatchback, so I get the convenience of a wagon/suv with the drivability of the car. And I prefer the iDrive to my Lexus system. I will say, though, that the GS is amazing and I was very close to getting one after my test drive.

They are both amazing vehicles and we are all privileged to drive them.
Old 12-28-14, 06:39 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rebornkhj
435i is really nice car but I wouldn't trade my GS unless its something like m3/m4.
How's driving feeling of your GS compare to your previous S5? acceleration, handling, etc.
The S5 has more torque, but the steering is more numb. The Quattro AWD makes the S5 stick like glue, but it is still a FWD car. There is nothing like RWD, especially with DRS. I liked the way the Audi exhaust made a "popping" sound when it went through gears fast (especially with the top down), but I like the roar the GS makes when accelerating. The Audi was more mechanical, the GS more visceral, if that makes sense.

For me, it's a toss up.
Old 12-28-14, 06:43 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Some dude tried to flex on me the other day in a 2010 5 series. Minding my own business, pulls up next to me he lets it fly, I put it in s+ and let her rip. He was out, didn't think I would catch
him but sure enough I was right behind him. Poor bastard, had his girlfriend/wife with him and all they could do was watch in awe, necks turning in unison as his car hit his peak while I was just hitting my stride.

Usually don't post **** like this but man was that effin awesome.
Old 12-28-14, 06:46 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by whazzup
I have a Lexus RX and was looking at the GS as well as BMW. I decided on the BMW 428 for a number of reasons. It's not for better reliability as Lexus is better (not my problem with a lease, however). It's not for better service since my Lexus dealer is ridiculously incredible. I wanted a smaller car and I didn't fit well in the IS and I didn't want to spend as much as the GS. And finally, the 4 gran coupe is a hatchback, so I get the convenience of a wagon/suv with the drivability of the car. And I prefer the iDrive to my Lexus system. I will say, though, that the GS is amazing and I was very close to getting one after my test drive.

They are both amazing vehicles and we are all privileged to drive them.
That makes absolute sense. The hatchback in the Gran Coupe gives you lots more flexibility. I wish the GS's back seats folded down, but then we would lose some structural rigidity. I also agree with the Lexus "mouse" system not being as easy to use as the German ones. Congrats, and enjoy your 428!
Old 12-28-14, 08:59 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MEAHT
Some dude tried to flex on me the other day in a 2010 5 series. Minding my own business, pulls up next to me he lets it fly, I put it in s+ and let her rip. He was out, didn't think I would catch
him but sure enough I was right behind him. Poor bastard, had his girlfriend/wife with him and all they could do was watch in awe, necks turning in unison as his car hit his peak while I was just hitting my stride.

Usually don't post **** like this but man was that effin awesome.
Muahahaha!!

Was it a 528? That thing is a joke, it's 4 cyl. I know it's turbo but still, it's a 4 banger.

The GS is a sleeper, future GSF is a sleeping beast! Our cars start to show its muscles at higher RPM while the Germans starts early.
Old 12-29-14, 03:53 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Muahahaha!!

Was it a 528? That thing is a joke, it's 4 cyl. I know it's turbo but still, it's a 4 banger.

The GS is a sleeper, future GSF is a sleeping beast! Our cars start to show its muscles at higher RPM while the Germans starts early.
A 2018 528 was not the 4 cylinder turbo. But for the record, I had a loaner that is the newer one with the four cylinder turbo. I was actually quite impressed with it. It's more responsive than our GS350s.

Frankly, this thread is full of what I call a lot of "internet facts". You would think reading threads like this that the sides of the roads are littered with broken down BMW's. I've known a lot of people with BMW's (including my own). While I freely admit that Lexus has better reliability than BMW, I don't think they are anywhere near as troublesome as these threads make them out to be.

It's no different than reading this forum. Outsiders coming to this forum would think that GS's are a bunch of rattle-traps. But I've had two GS350s now and neither one of them has had a single rattle.

Quick Reply: Test drove the new 435i M pkg today