GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Test drove the new 435i M pkg today

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-14, 07:05 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I know for a fact that these aren't just "internet facts". My boss has owned/leased about 15 different cars since ive known him for him and his family. Everything from corvettes, to e55 AMGs to ISFs to minis to audis and he has had more issues with his bmw and especially his Benz than any other car by far. I remember his Benz was about 2k every 2 months in bullsh1t maintenance and parts going bad ($2500 for front battery and rest battery replacement 2 months after purchase anyone?). His corvettes tire monitor system had to be replaced every other year or so.

But by far the worst was his bmw. He specifically warned me about getting bmw, said its one of the worst cars he's ever owned. It was always in the shop.

These aren't "internet facts". You might have had a bimmer and never had one single issue, but I've heard so many people complain about them that it's not even funny.
Old 12-29-14, 07:51 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

$2K for battery?! What kind of battery is that? made of gold and titanium and human arms and legs or something?

That's why I like Japanese cars, parts are dirt cheap and Lexus included.
Old 12-29-14, 08:03 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by MEAHT
I know for a fact that these aren't just "internet facts". My boss has owned/leased about 15 different cars since ive known him for him and his family. Everything from corvettes, to e55 AMGs to ISFs to minis to audis and he has had more issues with his bmw and especially his Benz than any other car by far. I remember his Benz was about 2k every 2 months in bullsh1t maintenance and parts going bad ($2500 for front battery and rest battery replacement 2 months after purchase anyone?). His corvettes tire monitor system had to be replaced every other year or so.

But by far the worst was his bmw. He specifically warned me about getting bmw, said its one of the worst cars he's ever owned. It was always in the shop.

These aren't "internet facts". You might have had a bimmer and never had one single issue, but I've heard so many people complain about them that it's not even funny.
You make my point for me. You point to one persons experience. If my last two cars are a Lexus and a BMW, and the BMW had zero problems and the Lexus had two problems, is it a fact that BMWs are more reliable than Lexus? Of course not. And I already admitted that Lexus probably is the more reliable brand.

I have friends who have owned several BMWs that had zero problems, and I have a very close friend who has owned the same 13 year old BMW that they bought used about ten years ago. Yes, he has had to do some repairs to it, but nothing I would consider out of the norm for a 13 year old car. About every two years something needs to be fixed.
Old 12-29-14, 08:21 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,562 Posts

Is BMW going out of business?
Old 12-29-14, 10:33 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Well...my cousin is a BMW fan and keeps leasing them. All of them have had several problems where they needed to be towed to the dealer to get fixed. Recently, these include his 335is, 640i gran coupe, 750i. They included battery problems, ignition problems, turbo problems, engine failure, etc. All were leased and within warranty, and he doesn't push the cars hard at all. I've also talked to a few M3 owners who were so fed up taking their car to different dealers for the same problem. They switched to Audi or Lexus just because the dealers were incompetent.
My cousin's dealer wasn't very accommodating either. He would have to wait for the tow truck, ride in the tow truck, wait in the dealer for an hour for advisor to be available, beg for a loaner, and be out of the dealer in a couple days. They even have the audacity to tell him that loaners are expected to be back on the same day that they call that his car is ready. If it was my Lexus dealer, my service advisor would probably drive a loaner to my house and ride with the tow truck back to the dealer. They even told me to keep the loaner until I have time to go pick up the car, or they can deliver it back to my house. He also told them about how the car would crank for an excessive amount of time, and they told him that it was "normal." Next day, car was dead and had to be towed to the dealer again, and the cycle began again.
I had one BMW and I would never go back based on my own and other's experiences. Also, I hate 4-cylinders and I don't think they belong in luxury cars. They seem great when brand new, but become unrefined and rough, especially as you put more miles on them.
There's my rant against BMW, Lexus ftw! Haha
Old 12-29-14, 11:47 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by dchar
Well...my cousin is a BMW fan and keeps leasing them. All of them have had several problems where they needed to be towed to the dealer to get fixed. Recently, these include his 335is, 640i gran coupe, 750i. They included battery problems, ignition problems, turbo problems, engine failure, etc. All were leased and within warranty, and he doesn't push the cars hard at all. I've also talked to a few M3 owners who were so fed up taking their car to different dealers for the same problem. They switched to Audi or Lexus just because the dealers were incompetent.
My cousin's dealer wasn't very accommodating either. He would have to wait for the tow truck, ride in the tow truck, wait in the dealer for an hour for advisor to be available, beg for a loaner, and be out of the dealer in a couple days. They even have the audacity to tell him that loaners are expected to be back on the same day that they call that his car is ready. If it was my Lexus dealer, my service advisor would probably drive a loaner to my house and ride with the tow truck back to the dealer. They even told me to keep the loaner until I have time to go pick up the car, or they can deliver it back to my house. He also told them about how the car would crank for an excessive amount of time, and they told him that it was "normal." Next day, car was dead and had to be towed to the dealer again, and the cycle began again.
I had one BMW and I would never go back based on my own and other's experiences. Also, I hate 4-cylinders and I don't think they belong in luxury cars. They seem great when brand new, but become unrefined and rough, especially as you put more miles on them.
There's my rant against BMW, Lexus ftw! Haha
The oddity is that I am on the BMW forum every single day and have been for three years. Stories like those you mentioned are very rare. Yes, they do happen occasionally, but very seldom do I see threads of any problem that actually strands drivers.

I feel the same way about four cylinders in higher end cars, but you and I are not going to stop that trend. And I'll be surprised if we don't see them more in the Lexus lineup.
Old 12-29-14, 11:49 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jjscsix
The oddity is that I am on the BMW forum every single day and have been for three years. Stories like those you mentioned are very rare. Yes, they do happen occasionally, but very seldom do I see threads of any problem that actually strands drivers.

I feel the same way about four cylinders in higher end cars, but you and I are not going to stop that trend. And I'll be surprised if we don't see them more in the Lexus lineup.
Which BMW forum?
Old 12-29-14, 12:26 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Let's just leave it at that, the Lexus is primarily more reliable than the BMW. Which is common knowledge to most car owners but not a deterrent from folks buying what they want to buy.

Folks have their reasons to what they want to drive and that's respectable.

And fanboys will be fanboys.
Old 12-29-14, 12:49 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

They mainly buy them for the name and cool factor. Oh I drive a Bimmer and a Benz, not some Japanese crap. lol
Old 12-29-14, 12:53 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Old 12-29-14, 01:44 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by bclexus
Which BMW forum?
Bimmerfest

Originally Posted by islandbeef
Let's just leave it at that, the Lexus is primarily more reliable than the BMW. Which is common knowledge to most car owners but not a deterrent from folks buying what they want to buy.

Folks have their reasons to what they want to drive and that's respectable.

And fanboys will be fanboys.
I can accept that broad statement.

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
They mainly buy them for the name and cool factor. Oh I drive a Bimmer and a Benz, not some Japanese crap. lol
There is certainly some of that, probably more than a little. I personally have owned 60 vehicles all bought new. The biggest percentage have been Japanese. Honestly, when I bought my BMW three years ago the only reason I bought it was because the Japanese were not building any sedan with nearly the power except the Infinity M56, and that car had gotten stupid expensive with no good lease deals, questionable resale value and behind the times technology. If Lexus built the GSF then I probably would have bought it, and maybe again now instead of the Audi I just bought (could not wait for the F).
Old 12-29-14, 01:53 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Bimmerfest
No Bimmerforums.com?
Old 12-29-14, 02:07 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Lexus ppl saying BMWs are unreliable is like BMW ppl saying Lexus are rebadged Toyota.
Usually ppl making these statements have no experience with the other brand.

My 2013 535i has had ZERO issues.
My 2012 528i had ZERO issues in short time i had it.
My 2009 335i did have the famous fuel pump and injector failures but car still worked and never left me stranded, quickly resolved by dealer.

My dad had a 05 LS430 and 08 LS460 - ZERO issues.
He now has a 2013 Jag XJL also ZERO issues.

Average Luxury buyer keeps cars up to 5yrs and its all covered by warranty. If u do keep it longer, most by extended warranty.
Reliability is one of the least of my concerns.
All manufacturers are making quality cars these days.....
Old 12-29-14, 04:26 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by bclexus
The only one I go to is Bimmerfest.
Old 12-29-14, 04:45 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

The only one I go to is Bimmerfest.
I started the Bimmerforums forum (under a different name) along with another fellow back in 2000. We changed the name in early 2001 to Bimmerforums. The website was later sold to the current owner (Mike) with Kevin taking care of most everything as the Administrator. Excellent BMW forum... Bimmerforums currently has: Threads 2,008,263 · Posts 26,945,489 · Members 595,450

I've owned, modified and tracked many BMWs - numerous M3s (E30, E36s, E46), 3-Series, 5-Series. Great cars!

Quick Reply: Test drove the new 435i M pkg today