GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Premium GS vs F-sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-14, 10:59 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I cannot seem to find out what actually takes place to the steering in Sport drive mode to provide 'Increased Steering Feedback'. I think it's nothing more than a slight increase in effort to turn the steering wheel, which is probably accomplished by altering the control ports for circulating power steering fluid.
#1 the gs uses electric power steering
#2 it makes the steering heavier, and to me feels more solid / in control.
#3 the sport + in the fsport is much stiffer than sport+ in the premium. There was a presentation movie posted 6 months back that showed the differences between base, premium and fsport on a shock dyno.

In my base gs, sport mode stiffens up steering, changes tranny shift points and changes throttle sensitivity.
Old 12-31-14, 11:55 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Have u guys tried driving in Sport+ in high wind area in the highway doing 70+? Big difference, when ur in normal mode u get pushed side to side, but in Sport+ u can take ur hands off the wheel and the car will stay solid.
Old 12-31-14, 11:58 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCanada
#1 the gs uses electric power steering
#2 it makes the steering heavier, and to me feels more solid / in control.
#3 the sport + in the fsport is much stiffer than sport+ in the premium. There was a presentation movie posted 6 months back that showed the differences between base, premium and fsport on a shock dyno.

In my base gs, sport mode stiffens up steering, changes tranny shift points and changes throttle sensitivity.
Ah, okay. I thought the GS 350 was using a hybrid EPS system that still used hydraulic pistons in the rack...in order to appease the track enthusiasts that are road-feel purists.

In Sport drive mode I'm guessing the EPS's motor torque is increased a bit to increase the effort needed to turn the steering wheel, which in-turn makes the steering feel tighter or heavier to provide the 'Increased Steering Feedback' that is advertised. Now it makes me wonder if the amount of increased torque to produce 'Increased Steering Feedback' feel is a constant value, or if the value changes based on (1) car speed or (2) input from the amount of force the driver is using to turn the steering wheel, or (3) both.
Old 12-31-14, 12:02 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

It's based on the car's speed. When ur in a parking lot the wheel feels light like in Normal mode.
Old 12-31-14, 12:54 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
It's based on the car's speed. When ur in a parking lot the wheel feels light like in Normal mode.
I'll check it out when I test to find out what the speed limiter is set at.
Old 12-31-14, 07:17 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Prime Cuts: Lexus Variable Gear Ratio Steering
From March 2012 issue of Car and Driver

The ability to change a vehicle’s steering ratio has many advantages. A quicker ratio (fewer turns lock-to-lock) can give a vehicle a deft feel. At high speeds, switching to a slower ratio (more turns lock-to-lock) imparts a better sense of stability.

Lexus is not alone in using a computer-controlled system to change ratios, but its approach is pretty trick. Note that this type of active steering is far more involved than the variable-ratio units with rack teeth cut at differing angles; they can’t make ratio changes on the fly over the full range of lock. The more complex Lexus (and Audi) approach is essentially a gearbox built into the steering column between the steering wheel and the pinion gear.

Unlike BMW’s active steering system, which employs a planetary gearbox, Lexus’s Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS) uses something called a wave generator and a flexible gear. Lexus claims its system is more accurate and quicker acting than others. VGRS can be found on the LS sedan, the LX SUV, and the new GS F Sport. We sliced into the unit to get an idea of  how it works and because we wanted to find out what a wave generator is.

Old 01-01-15, 09:26 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The RWD F Sport also has wider rear tires and comes with summer tires.
Old 01-03-15, 08:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I cannot seem to find out what actually takes place to the steering in Sport drive mode to provide 'Increased Steering Feedback'. I think it's nothing more than a slight increase in effort to turn the steering wheel, which is probably accomplished by altering the control ports for circulating power steering fluid.
Electric power steering, no power steering fluid