GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Life of front brake rotors F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-17, 01:29 PM
NebulaGrey
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Installed ebc rotors.

Havnt gotten a chance to really drive to see how the feel, so far so good. Paired with stop tech sport pads.

I did seem seem to feel the extra 10 pounds in the steering - I think.

Oh yeah - there’s about a 5lb difference from stock rotors to ebc rotors.
Old 10-30-17, 09:13 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by NebulaGrey
Installed ebc rotors.

Havnt gotten a chance to really drive to see how the feel, so far so good. Paired with stop tech sport pads.

I did seem seem to feel the extra 10 pounds in the steering - I think.

Oh yeah - there’s about a 5lb difference from stock rotors to ebc rotors.
They are that heavy huh? Are they black?
Old 10-30-17, 09:15 AM
NebulaGrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LatinGS350
They are that heavy huh? Are they black?
They are black, but it’s just a coating that you’re supposed to clean off before using. About two cans of brake cleaner to get it all off. Still have a light squeal to them right now - hopefully that goes away after break-in.
Old 11-01-17, 03:14 PM
NebulaGrey
Intermediate

Pulled the stop tech pads after failing to cure the squeal. Cleaned the caliper, put noise grease (whatever u call it) on the shims and brake pads, sanded down the pads a bit - only thing I didn’t do was mess with the rotor.

But i switched to a akebono pad set I had (practically new) and squeal went away. Interesting enough - I had pulled the akebonos off because they squealed with the stock f sport rotors.
Old 11-01-17, 06:04 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

my akebono pads squeal too when its cold. going for a diff pads next time
Old 11-01-17, 09:46 PM
Bartman619
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by richard203
my akebono pads squeal too when its cold. going for a diff pads next time

Just installed my EBC 14in rotors on the front with Brembo Ceramic pads. So Far it's been good. Stops have been solid and short with no squeals or squeaks. Brake Feel is better than Factory Pads and also seem easier to modulate. The rotors are 1 piece and weigh 4-5 pounds heavier than the stock 2 piece rotor, but can't really tell the difference when you're driving. When the pads are broken in I'll report how they are holding up. BTW, I changed pads and had my front rotors machined in May 2016. I drive easily 12K-15K a year. Hopefully these Brembo Ceramic pads last longer than 18 months.
Old 11-10-17, 03:35 PM
NebulaGrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bartman619
Just installed my EBC 14in rotors on the front with Brembo Ceramic pads. So Far it's been good. Stops have been solid and short with no squeals or squeaks. Brake Feel is better than Factory Pads and also seem easier to modulate. The rotors are 1 piece and weigh 4-5 pounds heavier than the stock 2 piece rotor, but can't really tell the difference when you're driving. When the pads are broken in I'll report how they are holding up. BTW, I changed pads and had my front rotors machined in May 2016. I drive easily 12K-15K a year. Hopefully these Brembo Ceramic pads last longer than 18 months.
just curious if you noticed the direction of the ventilation veins on each rotor - did they match or have opposite directions?
Old 11-10-17, 09:48 PM
Bartman619
Driver

just curious if you noticed the direction of the ventilation veins on each rotor - did they match or have opposite directions?

There was no Left or Right side motor marked on the rotors. I didn't notice if the vents were directional or not. I did notice that the non factory Brembo Brake pads I got from Tire Rack do squeal and squeak a lot when braking. Will be replacing these pads with factory pads within the next week or so.
Old 11-11-17, 08:52 AM
NebulaGrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bartman619
There was no Left or Right side motor marked on the rotors. I didn't notice if the vents were directional or not. I did notice that the non factory Brembo Brake pads I got from Tire Rack do squeal and squeak a lot when braking. Will be replacing these pads with factory pads within the next week or so.
my ebc set had the vents going the same direction which I thought was odd. Yes, there was no clear indication of left vs right - when comparing with the stock rotors the vents of each side went in the direction facing forward. So with my ebc set, one side will face forward while the other side faces the towards the rear - makes me think there will be ventilation issues with that side.

As for pads I have tried stop tech sport, akebonos and they both squeal when hard breaking or near the end of the breaking process. I too Plan to try the stock pads. If doesn’t work I just May pull the ebc rotors and resurface my stock rotors if I can.
Old 11-20-17, 08:41 AM
NebulaGrey
Intermediate

Three sets of brake pads update.

Pulled the ebc rotors as I have tried 3 different sets of brake pads - all new. 1. Stop tech sport. 2. Akebono. 3. Oem lexus. They all squealed with the ebc rotors. Not sure if material of the pads didn’t mix well or what. Calipers were cleaned and anti squeal lube was used every time.

Swapped the ebc rotors and put put back my oem rotors with the new oem pads - no squeals.
Old 11-20-17, 11:23 AM
junglechkn
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im having the hardest time finding front rotors for my 13 GS350 FSport RWD. Ive found plenty of pads and rotors for the AWD but nothing for the RWD. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-20-17, 11:26 AM
NebulaGrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by junglechkn
Im having the hardest time finding front rotors for my 13 GS350 FSport RWD. Ive found plenty of pads and rotors for the AWD but nothing for the RWD. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
As you can probably tell there really isn’t any other choice than oem rotors. Ebc was an option but they are hard to obtain and even if you do - imo not worth it.

there are big brake kits if you want to go that route.
Old 11-20-17, 12:02 PM
junglechkn
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As you can probably tell there really isn’t any other choice than oem rotors. Ebc was an option but they are hard to obtain and even if you do - imo not worth it.

there are big brake kits if you want to go that route.

yea i found a pair of EBC but didnt know if it was true or not. Alot of these sites are misleading. might just go the OEM route.
Old 11-20-17, 01:58 PM
Bartman619
Driver

Three sets of brake pads update.

Pulled the ebc rotors as I have tried 3 different sets of brake pads - all new. 1. Stop tech sport. 2. Akebono. 3. Oem lexus. They all squealed with the ebc rotors. Not sure if material of the pads didn’t mix well or what. Calipers were cleaned and anti squeal lube was used every time.

Swapped the ebc rotors and put put back my oem rotors with the new oem pads - no squeals.

I'm headed that direction. I swapped in oem Lexus pads last saturday on the EBC rotors. During the test drive, squeezed and squealed like there's no tomorrow. So I've got the OEM 2pc rotors, OEM shims, and new poem pads on order and should be in this week. Hope to get them on some time next week. This 4th Gen Lexus GS F Sport is really finicky on brakes. I just think the because of the composition of the EBC rotors make it work better with EBC pads, which I remember reading on their website. But whatever it is, these EBC rotors work but, they squeal like crazy on OEM pads, Tirerack Brembo pads, Stoptech Sport pads, and Akebono pads. Hope this helps.
Old 11-21-17, 04:54 AM
GSHLNMTR
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my front brakes done on my 2015 F Sport at the 30,000 mile service. New pads, machined rotors, etc. I decided just to make it easy and stick with oem Lexus on all the components. No squealing!

Quick Reply: Life of front brake rotors F-Sport