GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Cold weather package

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-15, 05:15 AM
ckelly14
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold weather package

Interested in a new or slightly used GS. Although I live in the south, I really love the heated steering wheel in my current LS and the kids love the heated rear seats, so the cold weather package is for me. However, I usually only see them on AWD versions and those are fairly rare in Charleston, SC.I also noticed on the website that I cannot configure the luxury package with the cold weather package on the GS RWD, but you can on the AWD.

Am I stuck with searching for AWD only or has anyone seen RWD vehicles configured with the cold weather package?

Thanks.
Old 01-04-15, 05:56 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I think you can custom order RWD GS with cold weather package, but it is not going to be cheap. Plus, you'd have to wait 3 - 5 months to get the car.
Old 01-04-15, 07:44 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a 2014 GS 350 RWD Luxury Package with Cold Weather Package and heated rear seats. Yes it can be done but would have to be a custom order. My GS was a custom order that someone made but failed to purchase. So i found it and bought it up knowing that it was rare because of the cold weather package on rwd.
Old 01-04-15, 11:03 AM
ckelly14
Driver

Really not interested in waiting 3-6 months, but will discuss with my dealer. I was considering AWD anyway, so this may push me in that direction.
Old 01-04-15, 12:03 PM
wfibear
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I custom ordered my RWD F Sport with Cold Weather and they told me 90-120 days. I had my car in 60. So I highly doubt it would take longer than 4 months, most likely less. You do have less of a negotiating position if you're custom ordering than if you buy off the lot, but I still got my car for around invoice (which is what TrueCar was saying in my region at the time) so it's not like you can't get any deal at all. If you're going to do this though you might as well order the car with everything (or almost everything).
Old 01-04-15, 12:54 PM
ckelly14
Driver

Originally Posted by wfibear
I custom ordered my RWD F Sport with Cold Weather and they told me 90-120 days. I had my car in 60. So I highly doubt it would take longer than 4 months, most likely less. You do have less of a negotiating position if you're custom ordering than if you buy off the lot, but I still got my car for around invoice (which is what TrueCar was saying in my region at the time) so it's not like you can't get any deal at all. If you're going to do this though you might as well order the car with everything (or almost everything).
I looked at CARS.COM and AWD with premium package are impossible to find. May have to go with the order...
Old 01-04-15, 09:22 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Originally Posted by ckelly14
Really not interested in waiting 3-6 months, but will discuss with my dealer. I was considering AWD anyway, so this may push me in that direction.
A few things to consider if you plan on buying an AWD.

1. AWD GSs will have that hump that sticks out toward your right leg when you are in the driver seat. And to me this was a deal breaker. I could never get confortable with my legs when I tried the AWD.

2. You will get less MPGs but its not too bad.

3. Awd has more parts so more things can go wrong. But being a Lexus I wouldnt worry too much.

4. With AWD you can only buy axle back exhaust because for some reason the AWD systen just gets in the way. With RWD you can install a Catback full exhaust system.

5. This could either be bad or good but with AWD your stuck with a 6 speed transmission while RWD gets the newer 8 Speed.

6. AWD has a higher ride height making the GS look like an SUV. Lowering it with springs and coilovers gets a little complicated with the AWD suspension.

7. AWD GSs will cost more money.

So these are the reasons why I bought the RWD version of the GS. When i need to drive in snow or go off roading, i just take the Cadillac Escalade.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 01-04-15 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-05-15, 06:04 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
A few things to consider if you plan on buying an AWD.

1. AWD GSs will have that hump that sticks out toward your right leg when you are in the driver seat. And to me this was a deal breaker. I could never get confortable with my legs when I tried the AWD.
FWIW, I'm 6'4, and for fun i tried my best to get the hump to bother me, but i could not touch it with any part of my leg while my foot was on the gas pedal. To me it looks funny but is no issue.
Old 01-05-15, 06:28 AM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 3 Posts

If the heated steering wheel is important to you, just wanted to make sure you know the entire wheel is not heated, only the grip areas at the side are. This is the thing I dislike most about the car (which is a sign of how great a car it is, if this is the worst thing about it!)
Old 01-05-15, 06:36 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Originally Posted by GregCanada
FWIW, I'm 6'4, and for fun i tried my best to get the hump to bother me, but i could not touch it with any part of my leg while my foot was on the gas pedal. To me it looks funny but is no issue.
The issue with the hump is not while driving its when on the highway with the cruise control on. When i set my cruise control i always position my legs so that is is closer to me. To me this position is more cofortable on long drives, this is when my legs bumps the hump. I am not 6'4" i am more like 5'11". And also safety is not an issue either because i mainly use radar cruise control.
Old 01-05-15, 06:44 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Originally Posted by FishBike
If the heated steering wheel is important to you, just wanted to make sure you know the entire wheel is not heated, only the grip areas at the side are. This is the thing I dislike most about the car (which is a sign of how great a car it is, if this is the worst thing about it!)
I actually solved this steering heating issue by moding my GS wheel and now the whole steering while is warm now. Check out my mod at......

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-fourth-generation/760864-diy-leather-wrapped-steering-wheel.html
Old 01-05-15, 07:46 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Didn't even notice the hump to begin with and doesn't interfere with driving with cruise on or off. Have to admit it does look strange. But with an Ebony interior it's not that noticeable when looking at the interior.

As for the AWD riding too high and looking like an SUV, BUNK!
It's a sweet looking ride, handles beautifully, and when it snows you'll be thankful for that extra clearance.

When the roads are very icy or snow covered she handles incredibly well as long as you have snow tires on.
Without snow tires she doesn't handle very well at all in snowy conditions. She needs the extra bit of traction for all the power train components to work effectively.
Old 01-05-15, 07:47 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 99alta
Didn't even notice the hump to begin with and doesn't interfere with driving with cruise on or off. Have to admit it does look strange. But with an Ebony interior it's not that noticeable when looking at the interior.

As for the AWD riding too high and looking like an SUV, BUNK!
It's a sweet looking ride, handles beautifully, and when it snows you'll be thankful for that extra clearance.

When the roads are very icy or snow covered she handles incredibly well as long as you have snow tires on.
Without snow tires she doesn't handle very well at all in snowy conditions. She needs the extra bit of traction for all the power train components to work effectively.

.6" difference.
Old 01-05-15, 08:21 AM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I actually solved this steering heating issue by moding my GS wheel and now the whole steering while is warm now. Check out my mod at......

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ing-wheel.html
How quickly does the rest of the wheel feel as warm as the sides with this mod? I ask because my commute is really short, and it gets really cold here, so I'd like the whole wheel to be warm in 30-60 seconds.
Old 01-05-15, 08:24 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by FishBike
How quickly does the rest of the wheel feel as warm as the sides with this mod? I ask because my commute is really short, and it gets really cold here, so I'd like the whole wheel to be warm in 30-60 seconds.
What i've learned, is the warm on the sides makes me hold the wheel properly - at 9 and 3.