GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus debuts 2016 GS F (Pictures Starting on Page 8)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-15, 11:20 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Typed a long rant and changed my mind.

Don't like the RCF grafted front end, appears to lack power compared to competitors, and the price/performance value tilts the scales towards the RCF. Lexus is overdue for a more powerful engine. The Infiniti Eau Rouge is gonna blow the doors off this car for 80k.

I'm in the same boat with a few others thinking that if this is the future face of the GS, I'd better grab a late 2015 when my lease on my 2013 is up.
Old 01-06-15, 11:38 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
If it is 600 hp, it would be $115k.................I don't think there would be peeps lining up to buy a $115k GS.

I don't even see a line for the M5 and E63................
The car doesn't look the part. It won't sell at that price range even with 700 HP. IMO, the prototype GS looks better. Also, if they pulled the fender out a little, w/600 HP, on that prototype, it would be worth it to me. Oh, and with a lowered stance. That should have been the GSF.

It seemed like Lexus stuck it in and pulled it out prematurely. They did the same thing to the 2013 GS with a gimped software.

I'm more inclined to look at other cars in my next ride. Tesla might be the next choice.

The wicked has become the whack.
Old 01-07-15, 12:22 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Maybe Lexus has the GS-FS up its sleeves?

So :

GSF=550=E550=S6

GS-FS=M5=E63AMG=RS6
Well, first the overweight RC/F, then this underwhelming GSF, I think finally I am persuaded to look elsewhere. Just not enough good reasons to justify the road tax of a 5 litre without the performance....
Old 01-07-15, 03:03 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Maybe Lexus has the GS-FS up its sleeves?

So :

GSF=550=E550=S6

GS-FS=M5=E63AMG=RS6
You're dreaming. Look how long it took just to get the F out.
Old 01-07-15, 03:22 AM
ZbynekZ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very reserved to comment last Lexus models just from photos. They are looking better in person (IS and NX, RC not seen yet) and in different colours and from different angles. But I'm really afraid about this one. From first set of pictures it seems like ungly bulldog with overbite:

The frontend is disharmonic to me. Tail is without any creativity. Just using smoked IS tail lights. Quad pipes seems too thin. But the worse is the disorder between front, middle and tail! Like three different cars. I need to see it in different colours because this blue wasn't working on RC for me also.

I like the new LFA-like gauges but not the IS wheel. Front seats look good. The worse is the ENTER button Back to the roots of 1st gen navi or wtf? I hate the enter button in loaner cars. But I prefer the mouse. I think it is better than trackpad during driving. I can understand many of you can prefer trackpad. What I don't understand why is Lexus unable to make a mouse with trackpad on top like trackpad on BMW's iDrive wheel?

Engine vs. lower weight = 100hp vs 200kg. Guess what will work better. I don't have problem with same engine from RC-F but I have a problem with same setting. It is underpowered. Yes, we are talking about HIGH PERFORMANCE SEDANS. Discussion if we need such power is useless. Sure we need more. I like the state of mind I know I have horses under right foot. Those cars are about prestige. It means no one will ask you what is the weight and slap you on shoulder you are having lighter car than M5. It means everyone will smile you are having 150hp less then M5.

What I like about my GS F-Sport is decent descrete sporty look. In that way are build Germans performance sedans. It looks like regular sedan but only who know they know. I am not interested in sedan which screams "I am eating children for breakfast". The design what I like on RC-F is not working on sedan.

First F model, IS-F, was tuned IS, not looking like new model (just little visual improvement like vents, hood, quad pipes). It is the way I like the performance models.

Do you remember concept LF-Gh? It's like GS-F should look like. Clean look. Well balanced.

So for me the best looking GS is F-Sport with LED headlights:

Summary: Need to wait for reviews, more colours, more photos, see it in person but today too less for me regarding years of development...
Old 01-07-15, 03:44 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah, I don't know why they messed up the tails so bad..... I thought Lexus was finally done with the cheap clear looking tails on their sedans. I was wrong. They should have created something close to IS/LS instead.
Old 01-07-15, 04:30 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Wow I like the interior but the exterior looks weird to me and did someone say it is going to have the exact same HP as the RC-F, why? oh well at least they came out with it. The front needs a little help though.
Old 01-07-15, 04:35 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustin2011
Oh, wow! I just noticed the steering wheel buttons. That is definitely a step down. Looks like they came from the Corolla parts bin. Very cheap looking.
Old 01-07-15, 05:13 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking car. The design is actually quite conservative despite the grill. It exudes understated luxury. The power is more than enough for me. I will use it as a daily driver 99% of the time. This car is essentially the current GS with an RCF engine. The current GS is a fine, great handling car, except maybe a tad underpowered. Putting the RCF engine in it fixes the problem. I applaud Lexus for its measured, evolutionary approach to making new cars. I applaud it for avoiding the temptation to engage in a horsepower arms race with the Germans. If the goal is merely to make a 1000 HP car with 1000 lb ft of torque, I'm sure Toyota/Lexus - with all its money - can do that. But it's not all about HP and torque (unless you are a teenage racer wannabe who fantasizes about cars you can't afford to buy anyway). But this car is a sensible, responsible product that balances power, sportiness, and luxury.
Old 01-07-15, 06:27 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrase321
Great looking car. The design is actually quite conservative despite the grill. It exudes understated luxury. The power is more than enough for me. I will use it as a daily driver 99% of the time. This car is essentially the current GS with an RCF engine. The current GS is a fine, great handling car, except maybe a tad underpowered. Putting the RCF engine in it fixes the problem. I applaud Lexus for its measured, evolutionary approach to making new cars. I applaud it for avoiding the temptation to engage in a horsepower arms race with the Germans. If the goal is merely to make a 1000 HP car with 1000 lb ft of torque, I'm sure Toyota/Lexus - with all its money - can do that. But it's not all about HP and torque (unless you are a teenage racer wannabe who fantasizes about cars you can't afford to buy anyway). But this car is a sensible, responsible product that balances power, sportiness, and luxury.
Well said!
Old 01-07-15, 06:43 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone thought about what the 2016 refresh will be after this? Is there a chance the 2017 GS F will be a catch up to the 2016 GS or will the refresh wait until 2017?

JTMav
Old 01-07-15, 06:56 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would have been nice if it was announced with like 507hp, I know there negative rants about performance and styling. Lets give the GSF a chance its Lexus's first attempt in this segment. I'm sure the car will get refined over time just as the ISF perhaps larger power numbers and/or turbo. Let's see how it performs in real world conditions. just my 2 cents...
Old 01-07-15, 07:04 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
You're dreaming. Look how long it took just to get the F out.
Are Lexus cars getting slower in acceleration numbers? Isn't the 3IS350 slower that the 2IS? The 4GS450h vs 3GS450h? And the RCF is reportedly only just as accelerative as the ISF? If so, maybe their priorities have shifted?
Old 01-07-15, 07:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Couple of things just for reality checks:

1. To the question "why would somebody buy this over an RC-F?"...thats a silly question. This is a sedan, the RC-F is a coupe and a very tight coupe at that. Plenty of people have a desire to have a higher performance V8 luxury car but cannot practically drive a coupe.

2. Colors. This is but one interior color selection. There will be other color selections.

U'm not sure why they went to the IS/RC steering wheel either, and I definitely prefer my steering wheel. I have to see it in person, and I have to see the 2016 GS refresh too as that would be what I would buy.

I like the LF-GH front end too, I just don't understand why they feel the need to make these spindle front ends stick out so far...
Old 01-07-15, 07:32 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with ZbynekZ on the design. The front end should have looked like the LF-Gh with that shape spindle and side vents, simple and stately. I'm ok with the rest. Rear diffuser could have been a little more aggressive, something along the lines of the Lexon rear diffuser with stacked quads.

Quick Reply: Lexus debuts 2016 GS F (Pictures Starting on Page 8)