GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus debuts 2016 GS F (Pictures Starting on Page 8)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-15, 03:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I dunno about the seats...I would think they would make the rear feel very claustrophobic. I love them in a coupe, not so sure about a sedan...
Old 01-07-15, 03:43 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah I really don't think those seats match the GS itself but the seats are awesome!!! And I think the seats that come in our lexus are kinda plain and boring. They just can't hit the mark in between.
Old 01-07-15, 03:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Which I can throw right back at a bunch of you guys only inserting the word "Lexus" where you put "M5". We all have biases, and they are very clear.

Just a heads up...this is not the thread in Car Chat...this is the thread in the 4GS Forum. According to what I was told we're supposed to be allowed to be brand and model loyalists in here without being called out by people who aren't 4GS owners or enthusiasts.
interesting you quoted my first sentence when you didn't quote my last sentence in the exact same post where i said everyone has bias and it's ok. selective reading?

i don't dislike lexus, i like lexus a lot. this is pretty much the only board i frequent and participate every day. but that doesn't make me into a fanboy, not even close. i like the brand, i want it to excel big time, and i have personally owned 6 lexus in the past 10 years. but when i see something isn't right i am not going to blind myself and start finding excuses for it.

and just in case, i am 4gs enthusiast. i love the chassis and i have praised about it over and over again. doesn't make the car perfect but i give it thumb up. even this gsf? i like what i see except the badge and where lexus is trying to slice it into
Old 01-07-15, 04:06 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Which I can throw right back at a bunch of you guys only inserting the word "Lexus" where you put "M5". We all have biases, and they are very clear.

Just a heads up...this is not the thread in Car Chat...this is the thread in the 4GS Forum. According to what I was told we're supposed to be allowed to be brand and model loyalists in here without being called out by people who aren't 4GS owners or enthusiasts.
but no matter how much we love the GS and lexus
lexus made a half baked car with the GSF
in the real world a car of this caliber and expectation,467HP is just too weak
in 2008 it might have been a warp machine but in todays tech and competition its just not
my ISF makes over 400hp atw and i get pipped by alot of newer cars these days

if the GS350 F sport can stick its finger to the 535 M the GSF was suppose to stick its fingers to the M5

Last edited by ilv1004s; 01-07-15 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-07-15, 04:09 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
Simple, don't slap the F badge on it and it won't be compared to the M5. Not too hard to comprehend and far from your absurd comparo of the corolla and tesla.
You're so hung up on badges and "image". Get over it.
Actually your earlier comment about this segment being more about image and not so much about people actually tracking their cars cracked me up. I could imagine just such a scenario you laid out.

Guy 1: hey dude my M5 has 550 hp.

Guy 2: My GSF has 467 hp.

Guy 1: Boo. you lose!

This all happens in the high school back yard.
Old 01-07-15, 04:15 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

also another problem is the shared motor
the GSF will be more expensive than the RCF
but they share the same motor..
you would expect it to be a different motor or alteast a different tune to make more power
i dont see the same motor in a M3 and M5

even the AMG's have different versions of their V8 in their repsective model line up

one may argue that the GS350 shares the same motor as the IS350 which is a lower tier class car
but thats run of the mill cars
we are talking about the F here
Top of the line lexus's repsective models
its just general rule
you buy a more expensive car your expected to have a bigger motor or turbos or sumthing
Old 01-07-15, 04:17 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ZbynekZ
This is so naive

And in 1989 they didn't want to build a competitor to Mercedes, just car "regardless of what other cars may exist in the marketplace"
Lexus has indeed made cars regardless of what other cars exist in the marketplace. They did invent the luxury crossover segment in the form of the RX. No competitor existed back then. If the M5 did not exist, would Lexus still invent the GSF? Hard to know, but given the track record with the RX, that is not improbable.
Old 01-07-15, 04:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The GS F fills it's own little niche for now. All it's 'competitors' are FI behemoths, whereas this NA mill is likely the bridge before Lexus crosses fully to the FI side. What we have here is something well rounded, confident and modern yet pleasantly old school. Should handle and howl well. Lexus clearly chased passion over power in this first iteration. And don't count out hotter F models in the future. Be them FI, Hybrid and AWD.
Old 01-07-15, 04:36 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

I think the current model GS has a timeless design, the styling is just so good from every angle. This car will still look good 20 years from now, just like the Supra. If u like the Supra that is.
Old 01-07-15, 04:42 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
U r in pure denial if u don't think F cars are not compared directly to the AMG, RS, or ///M counterparts. What was the first thing the press (and not just C&D and motortrend) wrote about the RCF? Of course, how it stacked up to the competition. Even our own RC forum compared the two (even though Lexus stated it wasn't trying to compete against the M4). What does that say to u? That's not German fanboyism there, as u say. F wants to be taken seriously...then they put out this lackluster attempt. They put the same engine (not even tuned) from a car a segment below in the GSF. What's next? The LS-F will also have this 467hp beast? Can u imagine an M5 with an M4 engine in it? Heads would be rolling at BMW.
What if the M5 were priced at $75,000 instead of $100,000 if it had the M4 engine in it? That is what you are missing - we don't know where the GSF is priced yet. 470 hp is plenty if they price it the same as a 550, which I think they will. But neither one of us knows yet, so it's silly to complain about the hp of the F when we don't know the price point. If they price it at $100,000 then we can complain.
Old 01-07-15, 04:45 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I think the current model GS has a timeless design, the styling is just so good from every angle. This car will still look good 20 years from now, just like the Supra. If u like the Supra that is.
Agree with this. The current generation GS and LS designs are classic, they should age well.
Old 01-07-15, 04:51 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrase321
Actually your earlier comment about this segment being more about image and not so much about people actually tracking their cars cracked me up. I could imagine just such a scenario you laid out.

As car enthusiast, we all bring up specs and compare. That's what this forum is about and part of the nature of being a gear head. All this image/prestige is all marketing. If you don't think badge and image is important in marketing, then I am at a loss for words and maybe you should take a class or few in marketing. Cars at this price point need to deliver on all counts (image, luxury, and performance). There are plenty of more fun cars to drive that are half the cost of a GS. You are hellbent in saying that the F doesn't compete against ///M, AMG, or RS. That's delusional IMO. Nothing I say is going to convince you. I want Lexus and especially the F brand to excel to the level of the Germans. I guess some will just settle for mediocrity. This is my last post addressing you because I feel I'm talking to a brick wall. Just have to just settle for agree to disagree. Peace.
Old 01-07-15, 04:51 PM
CLkicker
Driver School Candidate

Wait.. People are comparing the GSF with an M4 and M5?
Can't wait to see pricing on the GSF!
Old 01-07-15, 04:54 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrase321

Sadly, but this often happens outside of the school yard, and mostly in the magazines. Lexus should get prepared to get flamed soon, because all the car magazines will take this car apart, compare every bolt and nut to M5 and the likes, then chew it and spit back in Lexus face.
Old 01-07-15, 04:55 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
What if the M5 were priced at $75,000 instead of $100,000 if it had the M4 engine in it? That is what you are missing - we don't know where the GSF is priced yet. 470 hp is plenty if they price it the same as a 550, which I think they will. But neither one of us knows yet, so it's silly to complain about the hp of the F when we don't know the price point. If they price it at $100,000 then we can complain.
And I agree with you as I said in an earlier post, this car will sell if priced right. It still shouldn't have the F badge on it though. If Lexus ' goal is to compete against the 550, call it the gs 500 f sport then.

Quick Reply: Lexus debuts 2016 GS F (Pictures Starting on Page 8)