GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus debuts 2016 GS F (Pictures Starting on Page 8)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-15, 04:59 PM
CLkicker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Sadly, but this often happens outside of the school yard, and mostly in the magazines. Lexus should get prepared to get flamed soon, because all the car magazines will take this car apart, compare every bolt and nut to M5 and the likes, then chew it and spit back in Lexus face.
Exactly what Im thinking.. Let's hope the GSF is priced well below the M5 and maybe even the M4.
Old 01-07-15, 05:10 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Sadly, but this often happens outside of the school yard, and mostly in the magazines. Lexus should get prepared to get flamed soon, because all the car magazines will take this car apart, compare every bolt and nut to M5 and the likes, then chew it and spit back in Lexus face.
You forgot internet forums on these cars, sometimes even from "mature" adult males who actually have the means to buy these cars You really don't think even rich, successful people can sometimes still behave like little boys ?
Old 01-07-15, 05:15 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But, but, but those car magazines don't know what they're talking about. They're comparing the GSF to the wrong cars. Listen to what Lexus says. Their word is gospel!
Old 01-07-15, 05:20 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,051 Likes on 665 Posts

It'll be like this again. Lexus is the slowest one.

Old 01-07-15, 05:26 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Originally Posted by obturator
As car enthusiast, we all bring up specs and compare. That's what this forum is about and part of the nature of being a gear head. All this image/prestige is all marketing. If you don't think badge and image is important in marketing, then I am at a loss for words and maybe you should take a class or few in marketing. Cars at this price point need to deliver on all counts (image, luxury, and performance). There are plenty of more fun cars to drive that are half the cost of a GS. You are hellbent in saying that the F doesn't compete against ///M, AMG, or RS. That's delusional IMO. Nothing I say is going to convince you. I want Lexus and especially the F brand to excel to the level of the Germans. I guess some will just settle for mediocrity. This is my last post addressing you because I feel I'm talking to a brick wall. Just have to just settle for agree to disagree. Peace.
Badge and image are important but only to the extent that they can be backed up by actual performance. And by performance I don't mean blistering 0-60 times or whatever metric you might consider important. I'm looking at the whole car and whether it fills the purpose for which it was designed. The GSF is designed as a powerful luxury sports sedan that appeals to enthusiasts while being accessible to amateurs at a price point that makes economic sense. Who cares what the M5's horsepower is? It's irrelevant to most GSF buyers who will, as you admitted, not even track their cars. Most buyers will want the GSF to be a posh, competent, reliable, fast car that transports its passengers from point A to point B in style and with some exclusivity. The GSF only has to be good enough to be a winner. You don't have to beat that M5 to the red light en route to Whole Foods to the last friggin millisecond.

I get that luxury sports cars are considered an image maker or status symbol for a lot of people. They are a surrogate marker for one's wealth. They are not a marker of your racing ability since you don't even track your car. They are not a marker of your ingenuity since you didn't actually invent the car yourself. All you really did was write the check to pay for the car. It's a marker of wealth. Since we can't advertise our wealth by pasting our stock portfolios and bank accounts on our foreheads for everyone to see - that would be crass - we drive around in 500hp loud sports sedans like the M5 to announce that we have arrived, financially speaking. That would not be crass.
Old 01-07-15, 05:35 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrase321
Badge and image are important but only to the extent that they can be backed up by actual performance. And by performance I don't mean blistering 0-60 times or whatever metric you might consider important. I'm looking at the whole car and whether it fills the purpose for which it was designed. The GSF is designed as a powerful luxury sports sedan that appeals to enthusiasts while being accessible to amateurs at a price point that makes economic sense. Who cares what the M5's horsepower is? It's irrelevant to most GSF buyers who will, as you admitted, not even track their cars. Most buyers will want the GSF to be a posh, competent, reliable, fast car that transports its passengers from point A to point B in style and with some exclusivity. The GSF only has to be good enough to be a winner. You don't have to beat that M5 to the red light en route to Whole Foods to the last friggin millisecond.

I get that luxury sports cars are considered an image maker or status symbol for a lot of people. They are a surrogate marker for one's wealth. They are not a marker of your racing ability since you don't even track your car. They are not a marker of your ingenuity since you didn't actually invent the car yourself. All you really did was write the check to pay for the car. It's a marker of wealth. Since we can't advertise our wealth by pasting our stock portfolios and bank accounts on our foreheads for everyone to see - that would be crass - we drive around in 500hp loud sports sedans like the M5 to announce that we have arrived, financially speaking. That would not be crass.
then if thats the case shoudlnt carry a F badge
should be called GS500F sport
i dont see the GSF being anyfaster than the RCF all roound
and you will be paying hell of alot more for a 2 more doors and a bigger boot with the same motor and gearbox

F is to M which is to AMG which is to RS
GSF is not in the same league as the others
Old 01-07-15, 05:39 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Lexus has indeed made cars regardless of what other cars exist in the marketplace. They did invent the luxury crossover segment in the form of the RX. No competitor existed back then. If the M5 did not exist, would Lexus still invent the GSF? Hard to know, but given the track record with the RX, that is not improbable.
I should also add the Lexus Ct hybrid which is the first luxury compact hybrid car in its segment. Lexus created the car with no competition in sight.
Old 01-07-15, 05:42 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will respond since this latest post was not insulting albeit it had a little sarcasm at the end. The GSF doesn't have to beat the M5, it just needs to be competitive or the magazines will not write kindly. Most mags prefer the M4, but they also praised the RCF. To me, neither cars are better than the other. You can't go wrong with either car. They are competitive and belong in the conversation. Let's hope the same could be said for the GSF.
Old 01-07-15, 05:43 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ilv1004s
then if thats the case shoudlnt carry a F badge
should be called GS500F sport
i dont see the GSF being anyfaster than the RCF all roound
and you will be paying hell of alot more for a 2 more doors and a bigger boot with the same motor and gearbox

F is to M which is to AMG which is to RS
GSF is not in the same league as the others
There's no law that says F should match with M/AMG/RS. What are you going to do, arrest Lexus executives for false advertising? In any case, let the market decide.
Old 01-07-15, 05:50 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

There's no law that says F should match with M/AMG/RS. What are you going to do, arrest Lexus executives for false advertising? In any case, let the market decide.
nope then what else is it going to be?
logic will tell you
if the previous ISF was M3 competition
new RCF is M4 competition
what does the GSF compete against? a 550 M sport based on the price?
im sure lexus didnt make this car to compete against the second best thing in the 5 serise lineup

lets get real here if lexus carried the 5L 2UR into the GSF from the RCF there is no difference
We all love lexus and for me i love the GS
but they did it wrong putting the RCF motor into the GSF with no power difference atleast

Remember the F badge is also on the RCF which is as good as an m4
Old 01-07-15, 05:57 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
You forgot internet forums on these cars, sometimes even from "mature" adult males who actually have the means to buy these cars You really don't think even rich, successful people can sometimes still behave like little boys ?
Agree, but they are the minority their voice and opinion usually stays within the forum walls.
Old 01-07-15, 06:04 PM
kevings03
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CLkicker
Wait.. People are comparing the GSF with an M4 and M5?
Can't wait to see pricing on the GSF!
Yes, they are:
Lexus GS F takes on M Division
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/l...res-2015-01-06

Old 01-07-15, 06:07 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

After reading all 24 pages I finally arrived at the conclusion that Lexus GS no longer competes with the 5 series, E Class and Audi A6. We should not compare the GS to any direct competitors. The car is in its own class now.

GS-F competes with RC-F, and both are trying to take on LF-A. They even stole the gauges!
Old 01-07-15, 06:11 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Looks like they are already making fun of it ...
Old 01-07-15, 06:15 PM
gyrase321
Pole Position

After reading all 24 pages I finally arrived at the conclusion that Lexus GS no longer competes with the 5 series, E Class and Audi A6. We should not compare the GS to any direct competitors. The car is in its own class now.

GS-F competes with RC-F, and both are trying to take on LF-A. They even stole the gauges!
All cars compete with all other cars. The competition happens between brands, within brands, across all price points. When you have $100k to spend on a car and have been eyeing a Tesla, but for whatever reason you spend $20k on a Corolla instead, you can no longer afford to buy the Tesla. You only have $80k left. So in that regard, the Corolla did successfully compete for your money against the Tesla. The competition I'm talking about is economic, not 0-60 times on the track.

Quick Reply: Lexus debuts 2016 GS F (Pictures Starting on Page 8)