GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus debuts 2016 GS F (Pictures Starting on Page 8)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-15, 11:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTG
If they are anything like the resale on current GS's, I agree!
looking back at the isf resale (very strong) and the fact that used gsf are going to be quite limited, i have a feeling that depreciation on the gsf will not be as bad as the regular gs (which is pretty bad). but still, in 3 years i think 60% or so on depreciation will put the car at mid 50s, i think that would not be a bad price to pay
Old 10-15-15, 11:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bocahoo
I'll definitely give it a test drive. My problem is threefold though.

1) $85K+ is a LOT of money for a car and I struggle with dropping that much cash for ANY car. So even outside of any comparisons/normalizations with the E63/M5/CTS-V/550i/S6/Vsport/Etc, I'm just struggling with the absolute price.

2) I don't think the GS-F is really what I need/want. I'd much prefer a "GS500" for a $7,500-$10K premium to the existing GS350. I love the comfort, reliability and basically everything about my GS except for 1 thing... it doesn't have enough power. I'm never going to track the car and I live in florida where every road is straight with 90 degree intersections. So the torque vectoring differential and other performance features are cool, but not really something I need. And while I'm not into drag racing from stoplight to stoplight, I do like the sensation of effortless power / acceleration when needed. The GS350 simply does not have that... and at low RPMs the engine can feel downright anemic.. So I would have been willing to pay a bit more for for a GS-F with all the performance bits because I prefer the comfort/reliability of lexus to the competition, but it's not worth it to me (I don't think) at $85K+ when there are other cars out there that better fit my needs for less money (namely the 550i, S6, CTS Vsport)

3) I'll likely lease and while I don't know what the residual value will be on the Lexus, I'm guessing low- to mid-50% range for 36mo/10K. Assuming the dealers won't deal initially, an $85K purchase price and a low- to mid- 50% residual puts you at ~$1,100/mo+ just on the depreciation before considering the money factor. So I could easily see the GS-F leasing out at $1,300+ per month compared to a 550i which I could lease for 36/10K/$0 down in the $700s/mo range. I'm making a lot of assumptions I know, but I bet I'm not too far off, and that's a MASSIVE difference in lease price.

Anyway, as you can tell, I've put a lot of thought into this because my lease is up in a few months and I take my car shopping seriously. I really wanted a GS-F... and maybe it will still work out... but based on the pricing/packaging, it looks really unlikely. And that frustrates me. But I will give it a test drive.
great post, and these are realistic concerns that actual potential owners will face.

your first concern is exactly why i don't understand why lexus makes the car standard with so many options and jack up the base price. it's a luxury car market, it's all about options. why don't they make the base car with less options and start at 75k, and then an optioned car for 85-88k? it doesn't really change anything BUT it gives buyers more options. that means now you can go and get a 78k gsf with just nav and no other stuff.

the second concern is somewhat related to the first as well in terms of the options you don't need. but after all, this is a gsf car, it's going to be bumpier and more hardcore than just a v8 gs. the fact that lexus left out a regular v8 gs says it all. so that's going to be a tradeoff for sure

lease payment is going to be challenging in your perspective no matter what though i think. traditionally speaking, manufacturers will give out better lease deals on regular cars. on special cars (amg, m, s, rs, f, etc...) they know it's a premium market so there is a premium on top. so while you can get a 550i for 700, i think the gsf will be quite a bit more even if the price is lower
Old 10-30-15, 11:57 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,774 Posts

The best review so far?

Old 10-31-15, 01:28 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) $85K+ is a LOT of money for a car and I struggle with dropping that much cash for ANY car. So even outside of any comparisons/normalizations with the E63/M5/CTS-V/550i/S6/Vsport/Etc, I'm just struggling with the absolute price.

2) I don't think the GS-F is really what I need/want. I'd much prefer a "GS500" for a $7,500-$10K premium to the existing GS350. I love the comfort, reliability and basically everything about my GS except for 1 thing... it doesn't have enough power. I'm never going to track the car and I live in florida where every road is straight with 90 degree intersections. So the torque vectoring differential and other performance features are cool, but not really something I need. And while I'm not into drag racing from stoplight to stoplight, I do like the sensation of effortless power / acceleration when needed. The GS350 simply does not have that... and at low RPMs the engine can feel downright anemic.. So I would have been willing to pay a bit more for for a GS-F with all the performance bits because I prefer the comfort/reliability of lexus to the competition, but it's not worth it to me (I don't think) at $85K+ when there are other cars out there that better fit my needs for less money (namely the 550i, S6, CTS Vsport)

3) I'll likely lease and while I don't know what the residual value will be on the Lexus, I'm guessing low- to mid-50% range for 36mo/10K. Assuming the dealers won't deal initially, an $85K purchase price and a low- to mid- 50% residual puts you at ~$1,100/mo+ just on the depreciation before considering the money factor. So I could easily see the GS-F leasing out at $1,300+ per month compared to a 550i which I could lease for 36/10K/$0 down in the $700s/mo range. I'm making a lot of assumptions I know, but I bet I'm not too far off, and that's a MASSIVE difference in lease price.

Anyway, as you can tell, I've put a lot of thought into this because my lease is up in a few months and I take my car shopping seriously. I really wanted a GS-F... and maybe it will still work out... but based on the pricing/packaging, it looks really unlikely. And that frustrates me. But I will give it a test drive.
Excellent points. Being objective and looking at the devaluation of the RCF as an example I would tell you to hold off on any contracts with this over inflated vehicle. It's shocking to see those who paid $80k for an RCF car only to see them available in the same year for $60ish. My wife has expressed interest in a four door Lexus and for us it's narrowed down to either an LS or GS. While I love the specs on this GSF like you I can not justify the price. So I'll wait to see what happens towards the end of 2017 to see if the meter moves lower and incentives are available. Might be able to save $20k. That's not to say I'm not wishing Lexus well but they seemed to over value their own sense of self worth. I wish them the best on their 2000 builds and $20K premium over the RC F.

Last edited by rxonmymind; 10-31-15 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-01-15, 01:15 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Not sure if this was posted already - looks OK but getting a feeling like it was modded by someone rather than a true GSF model, maybe its the cheap looking clear tailights.
Personally the RCF is executed much better.

Old 11-01-15, 02:15 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

You're not far off...

The RC F was built from the "Asphalt Up" - which allowed them to make an RC 300h, RC 350 & now RC 200t

The GS F is based on the 2013 GS platform... Which is already 4 years old

Not many realize the 2013 GS 350 went on sale January 2012

It was sold as a 2013 Model for 18 months in the USA..!!

Joe Z

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Not sure if this was posted already - looks OK but getting a feeling like it was modded by someone rather than a true GSF model, maybe its the cheap looking clear tailights.
Personally the RCF is executed much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eesoq1M6atk
Old 11-01-15, 03:47 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Excellent points. Being objective and looking at the devaluation of the RCF as an example I would tell you to hold off on any contracts with this over inflated vehicle. It's shocking to see those who paid $80k for an RCF car only to see them available in the same year for $60ish. My wife has expressed interest in a four door Lexus and for us it's narrowed down to either an LS or GS. While I love the specs on this GSF like you I can not justify the price. So I'll wait to see what happens towards the end of 2017 to see if the meter moves lower and incentives are available. Might be able to save $20k. That's not to say I'm not wishing Lexus well but they seemed to over value their own sense of self worth. I wish them the best on their 2000 builds and $20K premium over the RC F.

I agree with bocahoo, I would have loved to see a GS500 or V8 GS a notch under the GSF, like what the GS430 was, powerful engine for it's time, but less race oriented and came with the wood grain and comfort. That's what I'm hoping for in the upcoming years, a 400 - 440hp GS with all the luxury and comfort, that would be my ideal car, and a GSF as the super car, 500hp plus.
Old 11-01-15, 09:51 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Yea they didn't make a 2012 GS, they skipped it!
Old 11-01-15, 11:46 PM
freeflight
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said. GS500 would be nice
Old 11-02-15, 05:44 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Yea they didn't make a 2012 GS, they skipped it!
In the USA / Canada...

..Most of all the other Global Markets it was correctly labeled the 2012 GS - 4th Generation

~ Joe Z
Old 11-02-15, 11:20 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by freeflight
Well said. GS500 would be nice
This would be my next car. A turbo v6 slotted below the GS F at a more reasonable price.
Old 11-03-15, 12:55 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
This would be my next car. A turbo v6 slotted below the GS F at a more reasonable price.
UNFORTUNATELY I predict Lexus will have some teething issues with them. Just a guess.
Now the salesman who drove them was not impressed and said they had lag issues. But that's something I'd like to see for myself before taking someone else's word for it.
Old 11-03-15, 08:10 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

A pretty positive review of the GSF. Lots of good engine sounds too.
Old 11-03-15, 08:37 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

I'll see this car at the LA Auto Show in 2 weeks.
Old 11-03-15, 09:12 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Sutcliffe gave a rather very positive review for the GSF (which comes as a surprise after his review of the RCF).

Originally Posted by dchar
A pretty positive review of the GSF. Lots of good engine sounds too.
http://youtu.be/oUDywUMuTxk

Quick Reply: Lexus debuts 2016 GS F (Pictures Starting on Page 8)