GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus debuts 2016 GS F (Pictures Starting on Page 8)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-15, 07:35 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Sutcliffe gave a rather very positive review for the GSF (which comes as a surprise after his review of the RCF).
I think many journalists didn't like the RCF because of its weight and Frankenstein platform (GS front, ISC mid, IS rear), which didn't make it handle very well compared to the competition. Not to mention, more expectations for a coupe to handle better than a sedan.

The GS is the lightest and best handling in its class, so naturally the GSF would be good too. It just needs an extra boost of power and it would've been more competitive with the big boys: AMG, M, V, and RS.
Old 11-04-15, 08:07 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

He had me at it sounds better than M3 and M5. I'm sold guys.

99.9% of the time I will never use all that power anyway. I have no problem getting to the grocery store a few seconds late, as long as it sounds good when I'm getting there.
Old 11-04-15, 10:11 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
A pretty positive review of the GSF. Lots of good engine sounds too.
He mentioned that the sound was "amplified" vs. "created".

I wonder if is this accurate.
Old 11-04-15, 12:13 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

If this is like the RCF then yes the amplified engine noise sounds very real and it just sounds as good on the outside. I didn't know if the sound is coming from the speakers when driving that car until I read it on here.
Old 11-04-15, 01:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
He had me at it sounds better than M3 and M5. I'm sold guys.

99.9% of the time I will never use all that power anyway. I have no problem getting to the grocery store a few seconds late, as long as it sounds good when I'm getting there.
hehe if sound is all you look for you should look at the e63

but yes, both the rcf and gsf will have fake sound through speakers. in one of the videos of gsf i believe it even says more sound (controlled) in the back of the car
Old 11-04-15, 02:07 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
He mentioned that the sound was "amplified" vs. "created".

I wonder if is this accurate.
This is what the Car and Driver article stated about it:

Sport and Sport+ hone the throttle response, tailor the transmission’s shift character, and cue the enhanced engine note transmitted through the speakers. Chief engineer Yukihiko Yaguchi is quick to assert that Active Sound Control is not a synthesizer broadcasting phony motor music; rather, bad noise is electronically canceled with an out-of-phase signal and the choice notes are enhanced to produce a 7000-to-7300-rpm aria that no turbocharged engine can rival.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review
Old 11-04-15, 06:11 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rominl
hehe if sound is all you look for you should look at the e63

but yes, both the rcf and gsf will have fake sound through speakers. in one of the videos of gsf i believe it even says more sound (controlled) in the back of the car
The Bonus on the GS F is that it has multiple ASC speakers..

But also will come with an ON/OFF switch

~ Joe Z
Old 11-04-15, 06:15 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
This is what the Car and Driver article stated about it:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review
So a little bit different than the BMW route of playing engine soundtracks through speakers.
Old 11-04-15, 06:19 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by dchar
So a little bit different than the BMW route of playing engine soundtracks through speakers.
We covered the RC F "Active Sound Control" heavily here:

2015 Lexus RC F to employ "ASC" - Active Sound Control for Interior Cabin..!!

~ Joe Z
Old 11-04-15, 06:55 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Is 467 HP for a N/A V8 considered good? I know the other big dogs have supercharged or turbo, that's why they're making over 500 HP. I'm just wondering..
Old 11-04-15, 07:16 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,105 Likes on 1,500 Posts

Is 467 HP for a N/A V8 considered good? I know the other big dogs have supercharged or turbo, that's why they're making over 500 HP. I'm just wondering..
You could probably get another 100 hp out of a 5.0L V8 normally aspirated engine, but it would be a full-fledged race engine and wouldn't be near as dependable enough for Lexus, and probably not idle very smoothly while waiting at a stoplight or in heavy traffic hooked up to an automatic transmission.
Old 11-04-15, 07:47 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
You could probably get another 100 hp out of a 5.0L V8 normally aspirated engine, but it would be a full-fledged race engine and wouldn't be near as dependable enough for Lexus, and probably not idle very smoothly while waiting at a stoplight or in heavy traffic hooked up to an automatic transmission.
The RCF idles very smoothly at a stoplight.

The ISF only makes 416 HP right? So they were able to squeeze out 50+ more out of this block.

The 8 speed transmission in our GS is the same one that's in the ISF and now GSF right?
Old 11-04-15, 07:50 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It's very good for the block size, at the expense of torque. I guess it will make highway passing exciting. A more square block with less upper end horsepower and more torque would be preferable. When you drive what I call "square engines" where hp and torque matches, they tend to feel more robust at any speed because the torque and hp curves run parallel.

This is why the competition is turbo and supercharging. It fills in the torque gap without adding engine volume. Some of the more high strung 2 liters out there (Ecoboost) are running 300hp reliably, with equal torque. The GS200T (lol) and IS200T are further proof that Toyota hasn't been asleep, they just haven't shoved anything under hoods until now.

Here's the thing. Toyota is no stranger to turbocharging, but they are afraid of it. The 2JZ-GTE from the last Supra had a bottom end that could sustain 1000hp, from the factory. Engineers were afraid the bottom end parts would implode at some point, so they way, way over-engineered them. In their minds, they wanted the engine to be bulletproof for everyday driving, even if you wanted to beat on it, and they accomplished that goal. I imagine this same careful engineering is at work under the hood of everything they build, so they appear to be late to the party, but in reality, they're just now getting comfortable with the projected long term durability of the parts they've put together.

With the engine choices branching out across models now, and even Honda/Acura turbocharging, I think we're going to see a lot more from the F models in the next few years. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the next LS is late because a big turbo mill is going under the hood with 500+hp.

Sorry for all the rambling but this is my kind of question.
Old 11-04-15, 08:08 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
It's very good for the block size, at the expense of torque. I guess it will make highway passing exciting. A more square block with less upper end horsepower and more torque would be preferable. When you drive what I call "square engines" where hp and torque matches, they tend to feel more robust at any speed because the torque and hp curves run parallel.

This is why the competition is turbo and supercharging. It fills in the torque gap without adding engine volume. Some of the more high strung 2 liters out there (Ecoboost) are running 300hp reliably, with equal torque. The GS200T (lol) and IS200T are further proof that Toyota hasn't been asleep, they just haven't shoved anything under hoods until now.

Here's the thing. Toyota is no stranger to turbocharging, but they are afraid of it. The 2JZ-GTE from the last Supra had a bottom end that could sustain 1000hp, from the factory. Engineers were afraid the bottom end parts would implode at some point, so they way, way over-engineered them. In their minds, they wanted the engine to be bulletproof for everyday driving, even if you wanted to beat on it, and they accomplished that goal. I imagine this same careful engineering is at work under the hood of everything they build, so they appear to be late to the party, but in reality, they're just now getting comfortable with the projected long term durability of the parts they've put together.

With the engine choices branching out across models now, and even Honda/Acura turbocharging, I think we're going to see a lot more from the F models in the next few years. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the next LS is late because a big turbo mill is going under the hood with 500+hp.

Sorry for all the rambling but this is my kind of question.
Thanks man, this is exactly what I want to hear.
Old 11-04-15, 09:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

The RCF idles very smoothly at a stoplight.

The ISF only makes 416 HP right? So they were able to squeeze out 50+ more out of this block.

The 8 speed transmission in our GS is the same one that's in the ISF and now GSF right?
the tranny is the same but the ecu programming could be different. the 8 speed in the isf is far more aggressive than the 8 speed in say the ls460

Quick Reply: Lexus debuts 2016 GS F (Pictures Starting on Page 8)