GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Steering Wheel Sensitivity Is Very Soft In Normal Mode!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-15, 07:08 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I think u get free alignment at the dealer within the first 12 months of buying the car.
Or many shops will check your alignment free of charge and only charge you to align it if the alignment is out beyond the specs.

I've got a guy that is so picky he closes the bay door so the wind/breeze doesn't alter his laser system. He lets me watch him as he checks and/or aligns my cars. Perfection!
Old 01-13-15, 07:14 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Here's a question for you. Are you trying to solve an issue you're having with your car, or do you just want to ******?
dude you are a piece of work, lol ... kinda childish.

LISTEN!

I made the thread to see if I am the only one experiencing this, if so I would take it in the dealer. I didn't ask for your advice on how to fix it Mr. Know it All, all I asked is if your are experiencing the same things, that's it. And the next step will be my choice. And from the responses people are experiencing the same things so **** off. Just because you have 10000 posts doesn't mean you know everything.

I took your advice on the detailing because I saw your credibility. You have 0 credibility when it comes to this issue so why would I put extra psi in my tires when the owners manual says otherwise. You just throwing ifs and maybes at me. Seriously, **** off.

Last edited by PirelliRC; 01-13-15 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-13-15, 07:16 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Yes it is. Man stop complaining!!! lol

I only use Sport+ when driving fast in high wind area and with it the car pretty much drives itself.
Originally Posted by johnphan79
wow.. i tho it was just me.

Yes... it happen to my GS too. I was wont have the dealer take a look at it. ;-)
Originally Posted by CleanStock
+1 for me too. I noticed it and was actually thinking about getting an alignment. I'm glad someone else feels the same. I did notice the tire pressure seemed a bit low. I'm getting some air tonight to see if that changes things.
Originally Posted by James4GS
I noticed this as well while driving a couple of weeks ago and attributed it to the unevenness of the road as it went away when I turned on to a different street. Good to know I was not the only one experiencing it.

So that's 5 people (including me) that definitely felt it. And 3 people including you didn't. 5 is the majority moron. Stop lecturing me, you old fart.
Old 01-13-15, 07:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by PirelliGS
why would I put extra psi in my tires when the owners manual says otherwise.
I dunno, because its a simple thing to do, another member tried it and it worked and it might solve your problem.

But, like I said...you don't actually want to solve your issues you just want to complain and argue with people when they offer your suggestions that may help you. You've done it multiple times across multiple threads. Thats why the first reaction to your post was (even if it was meant to be funny...he still reacted that way for a reason):

Man stop complaining!!!
You're just wasting everybody's time here if you're going to post issues and refuse to try anybody's suggestions.

So that's 5 people (including me) that definitely felt it. And 3 people including you didn't. 5 is the majority moron. Stop lecturing me, you old fart.
LMAO...okay. So because 5 vs 3 on one thread have the issue (remember, one solved the issue by doing something you refuse to try, so its really 4 and 4) its automatically a "majority of GS owners".

And now you're calling me names? And I'm the childish one? You're a hoot, whipper snapper (I'm 33 by the way, if I'm an old fart you must be about 16).

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-13-15 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-13-15, 07:20 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im not saying as soon as you take your hands off the wheel it shoots away everywhere. My point is when you are on an uneven pavement (such as a freeway) because the freeways have a slight angle to them so the rain water will run off and drain away, and you take you hands off ... the wheel will follow the curve dramatically.

All cars will do this to some degree obviously because there is an uneven angle, but im my experiences the GS is much more sensitive to these curvatures. If you are not experiencing the same problem , hey im truly happy, but its seems the majority of the people are experiencing it.
Can you let me know if the problem stops when it warms up to past 45 or 50 degrees outside in California? Because as you said you put Pirellis on the car and some tires are more sensitive to cold weather and can cause pulling of the car on uneven road when its very cold causing sidewall to get stiff. I have seen this on my Audi and BMWs too. Its not an inherent problem with the GS. To be more specific, I had a 2012 BMW 5 before the 2013 GS and the GS is far better steering wise with more heft and response.

I only noticed this when it was really cold below 35 degrees on my all season MicheliN MXM4 before I switched to winter tires. It was not there when the tires were fairly new and had enough tread depth. Now my problem is gone even when its 0 degrees outside. I want to help you as much as I can. My alignment is spot on, If you get this pull regardless of temperature or pressure, get the toe-in spec for the front wheels and make sure its a ittle positive toe-in for the front to prevent pull when on uneven road.

Last edited by Rexus300; 01-13-15 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-13-15, 07:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rexus300
I want to help you as much as I can.
Seriously...we all want to help you just have to let us instead of fighting with us.
Old 01-13-15, 07:25 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Im not saying as soon as you take your hands off the wheel it shoots away everywhere. My point is when you are on an uneven pavement (such as a freeway) because the freeways have a slight angle to them so the rain water will run off and drain away, and you take you hands off ... the wheel will follow the curve dramatically.

All cars will do this to some degree obviously because there is an uneven angle, but im my experiences the GS is much more sensitive to these curvatures. If you are not experiencing the same problem , hey im truly happy, but its seems the majority of the people are experiencing it.
You are correct - all cars will tend to move downward when on a crowned or pitched surface. Here in Dallas the roads are not crowned much compared to probably where you are located. I see no difference in how my GS handles crowned roads versus numerous other cars I have driven recently. They all may have a little bit different feel in steering tightness and suspension dynamic characteristics of course, but the GS 350 certainly doesn't react any differently from another that it stands out as being odd or different..
Old 01-13-15, 07:26 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

And now you're calling me names? And I'm the childish one? You're a hoot, whipper snapper (I'm 33 by the way, if I'm an old fart you must be about 16).
You are the one that cursed at me first.
Old 01-13-15, 07:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't curse at you, I asked if all you wanted to do was B@tch or if you actually wanted help...because all you've done towards anybody who has tried to help you since you've been here is argue with them. I didn't call you anything, why would I? I'm a grown man.
Old 01-13-15, 07:30 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Ok everyone please lets get back to the topic here. We are passionate people and we drive one of the best sports sedan out there. PirelliGS please let me know the answer to your question.
Old 01-13-15, 07:30 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Seriously...we all want to help you just have to let us instead of fighting with us.
dude no one is fighting with you, its a discussion forum and that is what I am doing. Im not wasting anyones time, people actually benefitted from this thread because they thought they were the only ones with this issue.
Old 01-13-15, 07:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

dude no one is fighting with you, its a discussion forum and that is what I am doing. Im not wasting anyones time, people actually benefitted from this thread because they thought they were the only ones with this issue.
Nobody benefits from a thread about an issue unless we can collectively solve the issue. You've been presented with several ideas about what you can do to try and solve your problem, what would benefit everybody would be if you would try some of this stuff and report back instead of just responding to everybody's attempts to help you with reasons why you aren't willing to take their advice.
Old 01-13-15, 07:35 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

Everybody just calm down dammit!!

I'm running 40 psi all around and I probably feel the road more than those who run lower psi and my tire wear looks normal. The temp here is always in the 50s, 60s, and 70s, doesn't make any difference.

And I bet if my car is pulling the right on one uneven road and I turn around and go over that same road again it'll pull to the left.

It's the road, not ur car.
Old 01-13-15, 07:38 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Also, Pirelli tires on my older GS and my Ml350 and Audi A8L all had soft sidewalls causing more flex on uneven road. I remember my 2006 GS with 18 inch rims would dart like mad on the uneven grooved roads near stop lights or highways. I bumped up the pressure and it went away. When I switched to Michelin I never got this problem ever with the exception that the tires were very worn out like on my current GS. I also got this problem on my 2013 Ml350 when the alignment was out. Pretty much I can say I have seen this everywhere and I resolved it when changing tire, pressure and alignment. I highly recommend you try one of these first and see what happens. You will be happy.
Old 01-13-15, 07:39 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus

Did u ever try the Sport mode n did u feel any difference in steering stiffness? U never report back on this.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Sensitivity Is Very Soft In Normal Mode!