GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-15, 09:31 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
It certainly is not the only criteria, or even the most important criteria, but it is a criteria. Any of these tires are going to be dependable and safe, so its not like one is choosing an unsafe tire over a safe tire because they like the looks of the unsafe tire more. If they hadn't been out of stock I would have gotten the Pirellis, but since they were out of stock I figured I'd try these and if I didn't like them, return them for the Pirellis.

The main reason I had ranked the Pirellis over these in my list was that the Pirellis have so many positive reviews and the Toyos, while what reviews there are are 5 star, are new and aren't as widely available as the Pirellis...so much fewer reviews.

I wish you lived here, I'd love to drive yours on the Pirellis to compare.
You are from Maryland ? Im not biased towards Pirellis, some people swear by a brand and refuse to try anything else and say its the best, however if its one thing that ive tried a lot of its tires. I would get a nail in my tire once a week, and i never patch or get used ones because of a bad blowout i once had so i just buy a new tire. So im eager to hear your thoughts on the Toyos after a good test drive. I would let you your drive my car to compare if we were near, but in all honesty these P7s are a thrill to drive on. Besides the comfort and smoothness, it also grips the pavement very well so your acceleration is right on point and your vehicle isnt struggling to take off from a stop, it put the power down good.
Old 01-16-15, 10:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Yup. If you want to drive cross country, come on along! I tend to be a Michelin guy, but I'm not averse to other brands. Never had Pirellis, but I've had Bridgestones I liked and didn't like. I did have a set of Toyos on my old 03 ES I wasn't thrilled with.

My main issue with these will be if they will stay smooth and quiet throughout their life.
Old 01-17-15, 05:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Drove the car today about 80 miles round trip on the highway. Very happy with the tires. The disconnected feeling I was having on the highway is either gone or I'm adapted to it. Tires are very smooth, very well balanced and very quiet. I'm confident in saying that the tires are indeed softer riding and quieter than the Michelins when they were new, I think the Michelins still handled a little better but thats a tradeoff I'm happy to make.

The test will be if they will stay quiet as they age.
Old 02-01-15, 09:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm about 500 miles into ownership of the Toyos, and I'm a little dubious. I don't know if its my imagination or what, but they don't seem as quiet as they did when they were first mounted. Seems crazy to me that they could become louder in just 500 miles, and I'm wondering if it could just be my imagination?

On smooth pavement they are still very quiet, but on coarser pavement that used to impress me how well they smoothed it out I'm just not feeling that way like I was two weeks ago when I got the tires. Could it just be that the comparison to the Michelins is fading from my memory? Has anybody else ever owned tires that exhibited changes like that so early in their life?

I'm considering returning them for the Pirellis. All the reviews of the Pirellis are so good...I hate to do that though and then be disappointed with those.
Old 02-02-15, 12:44 AM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm about 500 miles into ownership of the Toyos, and I'm a little dubious. I don't know if its my imagination or what, but they don't seem as quiet as they did when they were first mounted. Seems crazy to me that they could become louder in just 500 miles, and I'm wondering if it could just be my imagination?

On smooth pavement they are still very quiet, but on coarser pavement that used to impress me how well they smoothed it out I'm just not feeling that way like I was two weeks ago when I got the tires. Could it just be that the comparison to the Michelins is fading from my memory? Has anybody else ever owned tires that exhibited changes like that so early in their life?

I'm considering returning them for the Pirellis. All the reviews of the Pirellis are so good...I hate to do that though and then be disappointed with those.
are you able to return them after 500 miles ?
Old 02-02-15, 06:55 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm going with Michelin Primacy MXM4's but in my area,they're back ordered for a couple of weeks.
Old 02-02-15, 07:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PirelliGS
are you able to return them after 500 miles ?
Yeah the tire shop forward mileage my invoice. So I only have like 150 miles on them according to the invoice. The trial is 45 days or 500 miles.
Old 02-02-15, 07:07 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I have always (always) felt that brand new tires gave me the impression of being smoother and softer for the first hundred miles or so. It was like the little rubber **** gave some aid to make them seem that way, and I always wondered if the tread had oils that soon wore away. Nowadays it's common for tire makers impregnate the rubber with special compounds (e.g. silica) to enhance performance, which may be traction related or appearance related.

For normal road use I have never found a better tire than Michelin.
Old 02-02-15, 07:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm driving the Jeep today, but I'll see what I think when I drive the Lexus again tomorrow.

I'd say worst case I feel the Toyos at this point sound a lot like the Michelins. Quiet but they don't seem quieter to me anymore. All in all not the end of the world, I just worry that they will get louder as they age.
Old 02-02-15, 07:27 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I'm driving the Jeep today, but I'll see what I think when I drive the Lexus again tomorrow.

I'd say worst case I feel the Toyos at this point sound a lot like the Michelins. Quiet but they don't seem quieter to me anymore. All in all not the end of the world, I just worry that they will get louder as they age.
I've never known a tire to not get louder as they wear...simply due to less tread depth to channel, cushion and absorb. However, some tires do tend to get louder quicker than others...and I suspect this is what you are concerned about since you don't have any past experience with Toyo tires, and the only way to determine just how quickly they will get louder is to continue to own them and wear them down.
Old 02-02-15, 08:00 AM
darylrsv4
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a huge fan of Hankooks but I also don't have to worry about an all season tire. In the dry they are hard to beat.
Old 02-02-15, 08:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bclexus
I've never known a tire to not get louder as they wear...simply due to less tread depth to channel, cushion and absorb. However, some tires do tend to get louder quicker than others...and I suspect this is what you are concerned about since you don't have any past experience with Toyo tires, and the only way to determine just how quickly they will get louder is to continue to own them and wear them down.
I do actually have experience with Toyo tires, one set of Proxes TPT I put on my 2003 ES at repeated urgings from people online that they were just as good as the Michelin MXV4 (Plus at that time). They got TERRIBLY loud as they aged, but I was unhappy with their noise level from day one, which I'm not with the Versados. Plus that was 10 years ago, so I'm not set on holding that against Toyo.
Old 02-03-15, 01:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think I'm just nuts. Drove it again today after having driven the Jeep yesterday, I thought they were very quiet again lol.
Old 02-03-15, 01:21 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I think I'm just nuts.
Well, Hells Bells - I knew that...

Last edited by bclexus; 02-03-15 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-03-15, 02:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Haha. This has happened to me throughout my Lexus ownership. When you drive them every day and don't have anything to compare them to their refinement sort of starts to seem ordinary. Then when you spend time in something else and get back into the Lexus it really wows you again. I think that may be what was happening.

Quick Reply: 4GS Tire Thread