GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Talk to me about Plasti Dip

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-15, 09:58 PM
ohface
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While I was getting my Huper Optik installed I plasti dipped did my rear emblems and decided to do my F Sport emblem to match it all. It turned out great. I will post a pic tomorrow
Old 02-08-15, 10:57 PM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by UKNOWME
^^^^
Looks good!
Has anyone done the chrome exhaust bezels?
I'd like to see close pics of the chrome window moldings if anyone has them done.
I did the chrome window moldings on my old BMW but it didn't turn out the best. But I think the issue I had was I was rushing through everything and you really have to clean everything really really well to get a smooth finish. Also, windows are a bit more tricky because you can't always just peel away and have a clean cut. You have to look at how the seals, window, and trim connect. I'll look at mine tomorrow and report back my thoughts later on.

I'm not planning on doing my exhaust bezels. I like the chrome on that, but I do plan on doing the front grill trim.

Originally Posted by Kayman
I wrapped my trunk lip with 3M just as I did my front bumper centerpiece. I also 3M carbon fibre wrapped my exhaust tips and they look far better than I think plastidip ever could.
I was thinking about wrapping the front bumper piece between the top and bottom spindle grill. I need to look into how much it will be and if I can get clean cut lines without having to have a blade near the paint. The spindle grill chrome trim I plan on dipping though.
Old 02-09-15, 12:40 AM
Clipperfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had plasti dipped my is250's rims black, and put a couple of layers of glossy clear coat over it. (it's the same brand/product as the plasti dip, just says clear coat or clear gloss on the can). I have to say, it looked great
Old 02-09-15, 10:26 AM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Clipperfan
I had plasti dipped my is250's rims black, and put a couple of layers of glossy clear coat over it. (it's the same brand/product as the plasti dip, just says clear coat or clear gloss on the can). I have to say, it looked great
Really? I've heard some negative things about the glossifier. Mostly that it tends to run easily and if it does, then it dries very poorly. I wanted to hit these pieces with some glossifier but decided against it after hearing my friend's experience with it.

Do you have a picture of your wheels that you can share? Also, how many coats of each spray did you use? I may use the gunmetal one on my old corolla's stock rims.