GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bluetooth Connectivity Problems with Android Phones

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-15, 09:46 AM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bluetooth Connectivity Problems with Android Phones

I've had so many issues with audio dropping out from phone calls and streaming that I've almost thrown my phone at the NAV screen in frustration.

Background:
In the 7 months since I bought my car new (2013 GS F-Sport) I have had 2 Droid Maxx's, 1 Droid Turbo and am currently on a Samsung Note 4. I've gone through hard resets of my phones, deleting the phone from the car, changing apps in use, trying to use the car with after a reset and removing most stock apps. I've also mostly disabled the text message and email options as it doesn't work consistently, and I don't need people in my car to see when I get texts.

Each of the phones has has issues staying connected to the car. About 30 seconds after dropping the car will register the loss of the bluetooth connection. The worst part is I can go hours without a problem, then I'll get 1, or I'll get a problem every 4 minutes until it suddenly stops.

I've called Lexus a three times are had a few different answers. At first they told me to always drive with the wifi disabled and that should fix my problem. Then they said to have the dealership check my firmware. The dealership said my firmware dated 2012 is the most up to date (sounds like a load of BS to me). Most recently, they said there is an error in Android 4.2's kernel that screws up bluetooth. Now all of my phones have been on Android 4.4.x since I bought the car, and Lexus said they aren't aware of any issues with 4.3 or 4.4.

My coworker follows the same phone upgrade path as me (Maxx, Turbo and Note4), and he has never had a dropout issue on his 2014 X5, so the kernel issue doesn't seem to hold water.

Does anyone have similar issues? Lexus made it sound like this is a WIDE spread problem, but not one they need to fix. Also what firmware version are you running in your 2013 GS?

Last edited by Christobol; 02-04-15 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-04-15, 10:36 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

Never had issues with my Note3 or Note4 phone. Had issues with my Galaxy S4 but clearing out the old texts and limiting texts to 300 has solved that.
Old 02-04-15, 11:00 AM
johnphan79
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi

Same here. Issues started after dealer f'ckin upgrade my firmware for the Navigation and Bluetooth.

I'm the one starting the other bluettooth thread but other members kept referring to # of texts.

Talked to my services consultant and he'll check with his techs. its been a week he havent call me back. I guess, he could either forgot about me or haven't come up with a solution for it.

I have a Note 3, no issue prior the upgrade of firmware. After wipe my phone to stock, i'm still having connect/disconnect problem with the GS. But no connection issue connecting to my Acura RL or Ford Escape. Both work great with music and phone. Just the GS!!!!!!!!

Hope this help.

Don't wipe your phone... It's ain't gonna help.

It's LEXUS firmware !!!!

Hope we'll get a fix soon.

Ps. Time to check in with the dealer for an update. ;-)

Last edited by johnphan79; 02-04-15 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-04-15, 11:01 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Interesting. I've had recent issues with my MotoX (1st Gen).

Pretty much the same as you mentioned. Losing connection, regaining it and then promptly losing it again. Sometimes even during a phone call which is enraging. I chalked it up to the phone, until now. On a recent road trip I brought my iPad along to stream music from and I didn't have any issues. In fact, the sound was better than with the MotoX. I usually stream from Spotify via the MotoX and fairly often I get a crackling sound that I can sometimes get rid of by disconnecting/reconnecting the streaming device on the Lexus interface.

Good to know I'm not the only one. I've been looking at getting a new phone because of it, but maybe the phone isn't the problem.
Old 02-04-15, 11:19 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

My Note 3 had a problem reconnecting back when I get back in the car but my new Note Edge doesn't have that problem anymore, it connects and reconnects to my car and never dropped a connection, just like my iPhone now. I never updated my firmware, it has whatever was installed before 8/2014 when I picked up the car.
Old 02-04-15, 11:22 AM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a Note 3, not once have I had a connectivity issue or dropping audio. All my music is streamed via Bluetooth so I use it A LOT. Works perfect.
Old 02-04-15, 12:22 PM
Christobol
Advanced

Originally Posted by PirelliGS
I have a Note 3, not once have I had a connectivity issue or dropping audio. All my music is streamed via Bluetooth so I use it A LOT. Works perfect.
It sounds like this is mostly an issue with 2013 vehicles, not 2014. This has nothing to do with text messages, I've had this problem when my phone has zero texts after a factory refresh.
Old 02-04-15, 12:24 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

I have a 2013 GS and have not had problems with BT since I reset my text messages.
Old 02-04-15, 12:31 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

I've had this issue with my 2014.
Old 02-04-15, 01:55 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

2013 Fsport, non-ML. LG G3; text messages are turned off. I just recently noticed the disconnect/connect issue. Maybe i never noticed becasue i just recently turn the screen to "off" and see the message come up
Old 02-04-15, 04:52 PM
johnphan79
Rookie

Originally Posted by PirelliGS
That's great. Mine was like that's until the dealer upgrade the firmware. Before firmware upgrade by dealer: NO issue: It read text mgs, income/out going phone call, streaming youtube, Lexus Enform without any issue... ZERO... ! --- ) until now. ughhh!!!!

My Note 3 and Wife Note 3 are having the same issue. So, it not the phone.

Again... It not the text count creating the connection issue. - Wife Note 3 doesn't have any Text msg and still drop like fly.

Originally Posted by praetor
I have a 2013 GS and have not had problems with BT since I reset my text messages.
I wiped my phone and still doesn't fix it. So, i dont think text count is an issue.
Old 02-10-15, 09:51 AM
Christobol
Advanced

Friday Lexus of Carlsbad told me that Samsung (who he said does the NAV software in the car) came up with a temporary workaround until everyone is on Android 5.x.

Delete your phone from the car, then repair but do not allow the car to have access to messages, and keep hitting do not allow, and ignore future attempts and that should fix the problem. I've only been in my car for a few hours so I haven't noticed if it solved the problem yet, I'll post again at the end of the week unless I have the issue again sooner.
Old 02-10-15, 11:54 AM
Crispy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Christobol
Friday Lexus of Carlsbad told me that Samsung (who he said does the NAV software in the car) came up with a temporary workaround until everyone is on Android 5.x.

Delete your phone from the car, then repair but do not allow the car to have access to messages, and keep hitting do not allow, and ignore future attempts and that should fix the problem. I've only been in my car for a few hours so I haven't noticed if it solved the problem yet, I'll post again at the end of the week unless I have the issue again sooner.
This very well could be the case. Both of my Android phones I've had connected to the car were running Android 5.x (Nexus 5 and Nexus 6) and have worked flawlessly, including text messaging.
Old 02-10-15, 12:59 PM
suprajjang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I as well have the Note 3 and have not had a single issue with my connectivity. My car was in for service a week ago so I should check and see if they upgraded the firmware.
Old 02-10-15, 02:41 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I just bought the Note 4 Edge today, man this phone is sweet. After i paired the phone now every time i enter the car it connects automatically and starts streaming my music. This is great for me because as i stated i do stream all my content via bluetooth so now with the Note 4 Edge it boots right up when i start the engine, reminds me of when i use to have CDs

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Connectivity Problems with Android Phones