ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

I don't even know what to say.

Old 02-09-15, 06:16 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Wow! That's an odd angle (first image) for scratches to come from a horizontally rotating side brush. The first image looks more like it came from a one-time contact with something abrasive instead of a continuously whirling synthetic brush flooded with water and soap rotating horizontally. I would think that same damage would have continued to make lots of similar scratches for many feet if not the entire car. The scratch (first image) actually looks like it came from using a brush that is manually used on really dirty cars before it goes into the tunnel. I can't really tell much from the second image.

If the car's finish had a lot of thick dried dirt/mud that was not removed before going through the car wash, then I can definitely see where all that grit could cause scratches. Modern car washes have curtains and brushes made of synthetic materials that do not retain damaging particles, and they are flooded with water and special chemicals that quickly and easily removes damaging particles. However, if your car was the actual 'carrier' of the damaging dried dirt/mud (because it was not carefully cleaned-off beforehand by hand with pressure spraying) then it is bound to receive scratches. If a brush was used to wet and remove dried dirt/mud before the car went into the car wash tunnel it will definitely cause scratches...which I'm guessing you knew beforehand.

I'm curious - did your car have dried-on dirt/mud on it? If so, that should have been removed carefully and without using a brush or applying any pressure before the car was sent through the automated car wash...

Is the car wash a recognized name with multiple locations? Did you talk with the manager and file a damage claim? What did he say about the damage?
Old 02-09-15, 06:24 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those scratches are all down the side of my car. And there's multiple that aren't visible by pic. Also, I do NOT take my car through the car wash if it's muddy/really dirty. I will first run through the touchless car wash at a gas station.

But muddy oil field trucks do use these trucks. The spinning deal isn't exact wet and soaked with soap so...

No I did not speak with the manager. It will buff out and is not worth it to IMO. Funny thing is, the first time I got my car cleaned there, someone was biatching that the wash scratched up the guys truck.

A wash with multiple locations.. Keep in mind my town isn't large enough for one company to open multiple locations. So no it's not a chain and only has one loc. of car washes, it is by far the largest most upscale and they spend an almost annoying amount of time prewashing the vehicle before it goes through that's why I was shocked that my car looked like it had run down the side of a shrub.

Last edited by sick21; 02-09-15 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-09-15, 06:25 PM
dinachroek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey which tires is good for snow just asking? i have bridgestone turana EL400... dont think it that great for snow
Old 02-09-15, 06:30 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dinachroek
hey which tires is good for snow just asking? i have bridgestone turana EL400... dont think it that great for snow
Huh? Wrong thread?
Old 02-09-15, 06:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by sick21
Those scratches are all down the side of my car. And there's multiple that aren't visible by pic. Also, I do NOT take my car through the car wash if it's muddy/really dirty. I will first run through the touchless car wash at a gas station.

But muddy oil field trucks do use these trucks. The spinning deal isn't exact wet and soaked with soap so...

No I did not speak with the manager. It will buff out and is not worth it to IMO. Funny thing is, the first time I got my car cleaned there, someone was biatching that the wash scratched up the guys truck.

A wash with multiple locations.. Keep in mind my town isn't large enough for one company to open multiple locations. So no it's not a chain and only has one loc. of car washes, it is by far the largest most upscale and they spend an almost annoying amount of time prewashing the vehicle before it goes through that's why I was shocked that my car looked like it had run down the side of a shrub.
That car wash is more like a Car Devourer.
Old 02-09-15, 07:18 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Ouch! I curbed my rear passenger side wheel at least 3 times while I owned my GS FSport. Since I had the wheel & tire package I took it in each time to be fixed. The first time was perfect. The second time looked lighter than the other wheels. The third time looked darker than the other wheels, but if you were standing at a distance from the car you couldn't really tell. I think they just said "screw it" after the third time I brought it in. "We'll do the best we can until he curbs it again." I just found it hard to judge the distance in a parking lot with high, winding curbs because the car was so large.
Old 02-09-15, 08:04 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dseag2
I think they just said "screw it" after the third time I brought it in. "We'll do the best we can until he curbs it again."
Old 02-09-15, 08:08 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Always glad to add a little levity to the forum whenever I can.
Old 02-09-15, 09:21 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 424 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I don't even know what to say.

Wow how'd that happen?
Old 02-09-15, 09:45 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Boomin
Wow how'd that happen?
I really have no idea. Flying rocks I'm guessing, somehow those rocks hit on weird places.