GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Transmission Fluid - Change or Not? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-19, 09:03 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Does anyone know the PID value (formula) to have software versions of the ODB tool to calculate the trans temp correctly?
Old 07-15-19, 09:17 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Davenlei
Does anyone know the PID value (formula) to have software versions of the ODB tool to calculate the trans temp correctly?
I used a custom PID for trans temp in my Camry because it was not available in the existing PIDs, however, I'm using OBD Fusion on iOS and there is a trans temp PID but I think it's only available if you pay for the Lexus upgrade for $10.00. It's under Toyota, Lexus, Scion>Engine and Electronic Controlled Transmission>A/T Oil Temp 1 and there is only one A/T Oil Temp in there. That's what I used to deterimine the temps in my previous post.

I'm not sure what other OBD apps or dedicated OBD devices have available but they should probably be able to access it if they can access more maker specific PIDs.
Old 07-16-19, 03:41 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,119 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
Forget the whole idea, IMO.
Absolutely correct!
Always find it entertaining when someone starts a thread about the transmission fluid and needing to be changed. Many chime in with oh yes it needs to be changed and nothing last forever. They have ZERO experience on transmissions especially Lexus transmissions. Than there are the conspiracy theorist who state Lexus says do not change the fluid knowing it will fail as soon as it gets out of warranty. If I believed this to be true I would sell my Lexus and never ever own one again.

My local Lexus Service manager who has 25 years experience working on Lexus vehicles and has been trained by Lexus said it never needs to be changed. He went to Detroit where the transmissions are made for training and asked what is the #1 cause of Lexus transmission failing. Their reply was the wrong level of fluid and the wrong fluid. Both of these are factors in one changing the fluid. I will save my money and never change the fluid and listen to the experts. Never changed the transmission fluid and never had one problem.
Old 07-16-19, 05:47 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
Absolutely correct!
Always find it entertaining when someone starts a thread about the transmission fluid and needing to be changed. Many chime in with oh yes it needs to be changed and nothing last forever. They have ZERO experience on transmissions especially Lexus transmissions. Than there are the conspiracy theorist who state Lexus says do not change the fluid knowing it will fail as soon as it gets out of warranty. If I believed this to be true I would sell my Lexus and never ever own one again.
Lexus USA have taken steps to make their cars cheaper to own, this is one of them. My manual states the transmission oil must be changed every 150000kms and it's optional at 75000km intervals, which aligns with older vehicles using similar running gear. Lexus USA have also spaced out the spark plug and diff oil changes, they're not the only manufacturer that have revised servicing requirements in order to bring down the cost of ownership. It's all about meeting the market. I prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to maintaining fluids that allegedly last a 'lifetime.'
Old 07-16-19, 06:13 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,119 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
Lexus USA have taken steps to make their cars cheaper to own, this is one of them. My manual states the transmission oil must be changed every 150000kms and it's optional at 75000km intervals, which aligns with older vehicles using similar running gear. Lexus USA have also spaced out the spark plug and diff oil changes, they're not the only manufacturer that have revised servicing requirements in order to bring down the cost of ownership. It's all about meeting the market. I prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to maintaining fluids that allegedly last a 'lifetime.'
I am getting my data from my local Service Manager that has worked on Lexus's for 25 years everyday. Who has been trained at the Lexus transmission factory in Detroit. Please state your experience on Lexus's transmission. If you have more experience than I am changing mine. In the end it all come down to each his own.
The following users liked this post:
jptwo3 (12-02-22)
Old 07-16-19, 06:38 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

I have to find it but the jdm manual for the 4gs has transmission fluid changes in the owner's service manual
Old 07-16-19, 07:31 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Originally Posted by Freds430
I am getting my data from my local Service Manager that has worked on Lexus's for 25 years everyday. Who has been trained at the Lexus transmission factory in Detroit. Please state your experience on Lexus's transmission. If you have more experience than I am changing mine. In the end it all come down to each his own.
I'm getting my data from Lexus Australia, through the booklet supplied with my car from the factory. Given the difference in product positioning between our 2 fine nations, I'm going to side with the importer which isn't trying to reduce the cost of ownership. I trust the booklet for oil choice too because we don't have nanny state CAFE type legislation - I'm getting specifications from Japan without government intervention.

Like most of us here I have no experience with transmission, just compilations of acquired data. I'm going to quote user alchemist from 2014 who had a sample sent from his 3GS transmission with 100000 miles.

So I sent a sample to Blackstone labs for analysis. Here is the result:

Their written analysis from Blackstone and breakdown below:

“We see lifetime oils a lot and the name can be very misleading. Since this fluid was the original fill, these metals are from the original break-in. Most of the metal is from new parts wearing in when the transmission was new and some of it is just normal accumulation over the last 100,000 miles. Now that this oil was changed, your next report should show some nice improvements as this stuff washes out. Your samples should look more like universal averages, which show typical wear after ~32K miles on the oil. No contamination was found. You are however, starting to lose viscosity at varying temperatures. Therefore, you changed at the appropriate time. Check back in 20,000 miles without draining."
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...iy-w-pics.html

Blackstone said ~150000km was the appropriate, scientifically based distance to have changed the oil by. I guess Lexus Australia (or more likely the Japanese factory) are on the money...it's almost as if they knew and put the 150K tranny service in my service booklet Re your service manager, I'll take the word of Blackstone Laboratories over a salesman. I know we all have our reasons, those are mine.
Old 07-16-19, 10:43 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 517 Likes on 353 Posts

I simply do not believe in lifetime fluids.
I have been pulling wrenches for more than 50 years.

Last edited by JeffKeryk; 07-16-19 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-16-19, 03:31 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Found this paper, it is unrelated to the fluid change but is a GREAT SAE paper on the transmission:

http://documents.epfl.ch/users/f/fr/...oyotaAA80E.pdf
Old 07-16-19, 03:51 PM
bob256k
Instructor

WOOT! found even more documents! Adding them here for my own reference:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AUQ...sdLGkBYKX/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eg0...NkOqM-Kf1/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Iix...YMq5EWthl/view
Old 07-16-19, 08:14 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

From the 2014 Lexus GS service schedule:

Transmission/Transfer Case Inspect transmission/transfer case for signs of leakage. If you discover any leakage, have it repaired immediately by a qualified technician. Note: The transmission/transfer case and transmission fluid are a completely sealed unit. Therefore, periodic checks and replacement of the transmission fluid are not required, and there is no dipstick on the transmission. Any repairs that require adding or replacing fluid should be performed by a qualified technician following procedures in Lexus service and repair publications.
Old 07-16-19, 09:14 PM
2GR
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Is Toyota WS a synthetic fluid? The word synthetic isn't on any part of the bottle and even my local toyota parts guy has doubts.

Last edited by 2GR; 07-16-19 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-16-19, 09:22 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

My 2013 has a A760E transmission. Did you happen to run across the papers for it?
Old 07-16-19, 09:48 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Originally Posted by thallium
My 2013 has a A760E transmission. Did you happen to run across the papers for it?
Not yet :/ if I do I'll post it
Old 07-17-19, 12:35 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Originally Posted by dougm213
From the 2014 Lexus GS service schedule:

The transmission/transfer case and transmission fluid are a completely sealed unit. Therefore, periodic checks and replacement of the transmission fluid are not required, and there is no dipstick on the transmission.
I don't see how a lack of dipstick equates to no servicing being recommended. The transmission isn't sealed, it's as accessible as any other modern transmission as there is a fill, drain and overflow bolt. My service book requires the transmission fluid be inspected every 45000km and reccommends replacement every 70000km. That wouldn't be so easy if it were sealed.
WS isn't even synthetic.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid - Change or Not? (Merged threads)