GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Transmission Fluid - Change or Not? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-20, 05:42 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 565 Likes on 331 Posts

Doesn’t Lexus have a repair manual showing you how to drain and fill?

I know my Lexus dealership does it.
Old 11-20-20, 05:48 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by itsRaymond
Doesn’t Lexus have a repair manual showing you how to drain and fill?

I know my Lexus dealership does it.
it’s not a recommended service and not required per service schedule and many dealerships don’t do it, but not sure if there are instructions in the FSM.
Old 11-20-20, 10:17 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

In other markets they do transmission fluid changes on the GS I believe. There are drain and fill bolts so I don't know exactly whats going on why they don't do it in the US.

I would like to add some new/fresh fluid in the transmission, maybe not a drain and fill, just take/suction a little old fluid out and add the same fresh amount in for a piece of mind, check condition.

Old 11-20-20, 10:32 PM
Lead Lap

Received 790 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by swat1727
A drain and refill is good. If lifetime means 100k miles then sure. But if you plan to keep the car longer, I would change every 50+60k miles. If it's a sealed system, why would they have a drain bolt and fill bolt?
recycling. Fluid needs to be drained. 😀
Old 11-21-20, 02:55 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
In other markets they do transmission fluid changes on the GS I believe.
Correct, IMO it's dictated by market position and cost
There are drain and fill bolts so I don't know exactly whats going on why they don't do it in the US.
Minimisation of maintenance costs. Even here, cars are advertised based on free/cheap servicing plans, rather than features etc.
I would like to add some new/fresh fluid in the transmission, maybe not a drain and fill, just take/suction a little old fluid out and add the same fresh amount in for a piece of mind, check condition.
A drain and fill will be no less effort, no fluids are for life, might as well. Unless you have a perfectly flat area, the overflow fill method won't work (just ask me ) so you'd want to measure and replace, or just drain and fill a few times and have a shop level it perfectly.
I'd personally do a pan drop. I don't want to start this debate so this will be my final post on the topic here, but the main reason for servicing the transmission is to clean the magnets and replace additives that keep seals fresh etc. As it slowly wears, you want to keep that gunk out of the valve body. The fluid may last forever but there's more to it than that. You don't want to be in a position at 230000kms where the only thing applying enough friction to keep the car running is the grit in the tranny oil...by then it's too late.
Old 11-21-20, 05:52 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Really, here is what it comes down to. This is the 4G GS Forum, so all of you have a 2013 or later model. Besides Peasodos, how many of you are planning on keeping this car 20 years and or putting 250k miles on it? Have you ever kept a car 15 or more years? If not, my two cents is don't change the transmission oil. However, I would agree that if you plan on keeping the car for 20 years, I do not think any fluid can possibly last that long, so have it changed at 100k, even for peace of mind. I have the 2013 GSH with 60k miles, so like Peasodos, with a ECVT, I don't plan on changing it. I am still on the original 12V battery as well, and I live in Florida. Knock on wood.

The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (11-21-20)
Old 11-21-20, 08:14 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
Correct, IMO it's dictated by market position and cost

Minimisation of maintenance costs. Even here, cars are advertised based on free/cheap servicing plans, rather than features etc.

A drain and fill will be no less effort, no fluids are for life, might as well. Unless you have a perfectly flat area, the overflow fill method won't work (just ask me ) so you'd want to measure and replace, or just drain and fill a few times and have a shop level it perfectly.
I'd personally do a pan drop. I don't want to start this debate so this will be my final post on the topic here, but the main reason for servicing the transmission is to clean the magnets and replace additives that keep seals fresh etc. As it slowly wears, you want to keep that gunk out of the valve body. The fluid may last forever but there's more to it than that. You don't want to be in a position at 230000kms where the only thing applying enough friction to keep the car running is the grit in the tranny oil...by then it's too late.
Measure and replace is the way I always did drain and fills with trans fluid since the trans dipsticks are so hard to use/inaccurate.

Thing is if the trans fails due to the fluid, then Toyota/Lexus should replace the trans if they are claiming "lifetime fluid"/no service for the trans fluid. I know they will come up with every and any excuse why they don't have to replace the trans if it fails from some issues with the "lifetime" fluid but I wonder if someone could successfully make that argument/take them to court and win if it happens.

Cwang (11-22-20)
Old 11-21-20, 08:23 AM
GeeEss350
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Same transmission different regions. It is not a sealed unit.
The following 3 users liked this post by GeeEss350:
Cwang (11-22-20), Mewannalex (11-22-20), spb3 (11-30-20)
Old 11-21-20, 11:59 AM
aj2pointo
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiadon
If the service manual says don’t change it then don’t change it. It’s amazing how many people know more than the manufacturer. It’s one thing if you’re heavily modifying your car which then would require a chance because of heat. Just my 2 cents....
Yeah but by that logic, Lexus/Toyota are actually the ones messing everything up. The thing is the the Aisin (the manufacture of the transmission) recommends changing the fluid every ~12,000 miles (or max every 2 years)?!?!? That recommendation includes their transmissions in Toyota/Lexus vehicles that use WS (JWS-3324) fluid. The question then becomes does Toyota/Lexus know more about transmissions than the transmission manufacturer hahaha. Everyone should do what they are most comfortable with/think is best for them. To be honest these transmissions are so bullet proof, that the vast majority of people are probably going to be fine not changing it, however I can say personally that I am gearing up to do it myself.

But all the debate and confusion is completely warranted given how conflicting all the info is (even from "official" sources). I've researched this a lot and here are some of the more interesting points I've found, do what you want with it:
  • Lexus/Toyota USA says you dont need to change it unless you are driving under harsh driving conditions (then do it at 60k miles). Explicitly that means towing, but for cars that could mean living in a mountainous area or even potentially driving hard
  • Most other non- USA markets it is in the service manual for 60k miles regardless
  • As linked above, Asin recommends changing it super frequently
  • People have sent fluid samples of moderately high-mileage (like 65k miles) cars into Blackstone Laboratories. The results were not terrible, but do show signs of fluid breakdown and metal contaminates so the recommendation was drain and fill
  • The World Standard specification (JWS 3324) was developed by Exxon-Mobilre
  • The actual manufacturer/blender of the factory fluid is Idemitsu. It speculated that Idemitsu makes all of it the same but then puts it in different labeled bottles:
    Idemitsu Idemitsu
    Aisin Aisin
    Toyota Toyota
    , or Lexus, although Lexus labeled bottles are rare online.
  • It is speculated that those "genuine" Toyota WS fluids above are all semi-synthetic (rather than full-synthetic). It has been said that it is a pretty mediocre fluid and I believe there is a study somewhere showing that it preforms quite poorly even compared to other OEM fluids.
  • Many people have used Valvoline Max-life as a replacement which is a full-synthetic multi-vehicle fluid and cheap. Many say that the shifting feels better and the fluid lasts longer between changes. I have not come across a single account of it causing transmission problems, however many raise concerns as it is a "universal" fluid and the viscosity appears thicker than Toyota WS
  • Ravenol T-WS Ravenol T-WS
    is the only full-synthetic fluid specifically made for (and only for) the WS application. It conforms to or exceeds the JWS-3324 specification. Not too many people have used it, as it is made in German and quite expensive to get in the US, but there are some amazon reviews singing its praises. I think I've also seen someone in one of the IS forum of clublexus use it and really like it.

Last edited by aj2pointo; 11-21-20 at 12:03 PM.
ShinyLexi (11-27-20)
Old 11-22-20, 07:17 AM
Mewannalex
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, it's lifetime, until the transmission blows, then yes, it's lifetime, it lasted until the life of the transmission, regardless the mileage, nah...I will change mine at 75k even though I babied the car, don't care what Lexus Toyota says, nothing lasts forever...
Cwang (11-22-20)
Old 11-22-20, 08:47 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 553 Likes on 373 Posts

I am about to service the transmission in our 2013 GS. I have the Lexus filter and a bunch of Idemitsu WS equivalent.
Unless the term "lifetime fluid" can be defined, it is meaningless.
I believe Lexus uses "lifetime" as a marketing term to an extent.
I also believe there is no such thing as a lifetime fluid.
Finally, the most important ATF service is the 1st one as it removes break in debris.
The following 2 users liked this post by JeffKeryk:
2GR (11-24-20), Cwang (11-22-20)
Old 11-22-20, 05:51 PM
2GR
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

The drain and fill method on these cars is pretty simple (when cold). Don't see how a few fresh quarts would hurt anything.
Old 11-23-20, 12:49 PM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

So I posted that unless you are going to keep your car past 150k miles and/or 20 years, I don't think there is a solid reason to change the fluid. I know other people have said to change it yourself takes Mr. Science to do it at the correct oil temperature and level setting etc. But to 2 GR's point, if you put in what you measure you are taking out, really, how hard could it be? If you took out let's say 75 ounces and it weighed 30 grams per oz., would it be difficult to put in 225 grams of fluid. I guess the only argument is that your fluid was too low or too high from the factory (if it is a sealed system and one can't make or destroy the fluid). Like I said, I am not changing mine in the ECVT as I think my Hybrid battery will fail before the transmission. My two cents opinion, which probably is what it is worth.
Old 11-23-20, 04:54 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Under this scenario, lifetime does not mean FOREVER! It's means "lifetime of the transmission." If the transmission fails at 100k, then that's the "lifetime." We can debate all day long and over analyze it all. The simple truth is that no fluid lasts forever. Accept that and you can determine whether or not to change the fluid on your car.
Old 11-25-20, 07:41 PM
2GR
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Just found Idemitsu WS Fluid for $2 a quart at my local Autozone, so looks like I will be doing a drain/fill in the near future!
ShinyLexi (11-27-20)

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid - Change or Not? (Merged threads)