GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Transmission Fluid - Change or Not? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-20, 10:37 AM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Found this channel/video. The guy claims to be a Toyota tech, and he states that WS fluid actually be replaced about 60k miles, otherwise driving on the same “lifetime” fluid will cause a tranny failure at about 150k.

upd: corrected the link.

Last edited by sunamer; 11-27-20 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-27-20, 06:35 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
My 450h 106k miles with original transmission fluid and I never plan to change it, zero issues, shift smooth. Will report back at 232,505 miles. There is no scheduled maintenance for transmission fluid and I think the service book goes up to 150k miles. There is also no dipstick, so drain and fill is not as easy. If you do it the most important thing to make sure is the level is correct, otherwise you'll do more harm than good. Lexus also recommends not touching the transmission fluid ever. You'll have to go to a independent ship or do it yourself. If anything goes wrong it probably voids your warranty.
I plan to do the same. Manufacturers - especially Toyota which is a model for reliability - typically do their due diligence reliability testing under worst case conditions to establish their claims. I had a BMW with 15,000 mile oil change intervals and lifetime transmission fluid. While some were extra cautious with oil changes every 5000 or 7500 miles, I stuck to the manufacturer's recommendation and would often exceed it by 1,000 to 2,000 miles. I had the car over 200,000 miles with no engine or transmissions issues and original clutch. I drove my car spiritedly throughout its life.

I would love to hear from others who have passed the 150K mark to comment.
Old 11-28-20, 02:34 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
In other markets they do transmission fluid changes on the GS I believe. There are drain and fill bolts so I don't know exactly whats going on why they don't do it in the US.

I would like to add some new/fresh fluid in the transmission, maybe not a drain and fill, just take/suction a little old fluid out and add the same fresh amount in for a piece of mind, check condition.
U.S. enviromental concerns is why. I don't worry about my engine I worry about my 8-speed trans. It's difficult to drain all the fluid out so I took my 2015 F-sport salvage title with no factory warranty to a friend of mine's shop where they drained about half the fluid & topped off with New factory fluid. This will probably be the last car I buy.
The following users liked this post:
Cwang (11-28-20)
Old 11-28-20, 02:55 PM
GeeEss350
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

FYI.
I dropped the pan and changed the filter at 90k, oil was brown. Refilled, cycled the gears and drained again via the drain plug.
At 93K I attempted a drain and fill, put in the new oil, cycled the gears. Then had to drop the pan again due to bolt threads stripped.
What was interesting was that after multiple changes including full pan drains the oil was a lot better but still brown with traces of silver metallic reflection found at the bottom of the pan. It goes to show that to replace the complete oil will take many drain and refills.
Those that are never done must have a sludge bath at the bottom of the pan.

Old 11-28-20, 03:23 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Originally Posted by GeeEss350
FYI.
I dropped the pan and changed the filter at 90k, oil was brown. Refilled, cycled the gears and drained again via the drain plug.
At 93K I attempted a drain and fill, put in the new oil, cycled the gears. Then had to drop the pan again due to bolt threads stripped.
What was interesting was that after multiple changes including full pan drains the oil was a lot better but still brown with traces of silver metallic reflection found at the bottom of the pan. It goes to show that to replace the complete oil will take many drain and refills.
Those that are never done must have a sludge bath at the bottom of the pan.
when I was replacing tranny oil in my 2011 Corolla at around 82k miles, I think I bought 12 qt of ATF WS...7 qt is the nominal volume of that tranny. I was doing it in 4 iterations... removing 3 and adding 3 qts, cycling it for a minute and then removing-adding more. The fluid did not end up completely new, but was very close to being pink and transparent. Shift quality def improved (less lag a more crispy shifts).
Old 11-29-20, 07:29 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 529 Likes on 360 Posts

Even if I lease a car, I service the transmission. I have respect for the car and future owners.
But that's just me.
ShinyLexi (12-03-20)
Old 11-29-20, 09:29 AM
sunamer
Advanced

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Even if I lease a car, I service the transmission. I have respect for the car and future owners.
But that's just me.
leases usually go to 28-32k miles. Which new car requires any tranny service in that mileage window?
Old 11-29-20, 04:39 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by sunamer
leases usually go to 28-32k miles. Which new car requires any tranny service in that mileage window?
It doesn't. He's just being mindful for the future owner(s).
Old 11-29-20, 04:48 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by azipod
It doesn't. He's just being mindful for the future owner(s).
🤦‍♂️ Wasting money on manufacturer not recommended service. Will do more harm than good if the level is not correct, not to mention could be an issue voiding a factory warranty related to the drive train.
Old 11-29-20, 04:55 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

🤦‍♂️ Wasting money on manufacturer not recommended service. Will do more harm than good if the level is not correct, not to mention could be an issue voiding a factory warranty related to the drive train.
That is YOUR opinion. Why not let him service the car the way HE wants to. It's HIS car.
Old 11-29-20, 05:04 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by azipod
That is YOUR opinion. Why not let him service the car the way HE wants to. It's HIS car.
Manufacturer Recommendation > Opinions
Old 11-29-20, 05:06 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Like I said. It's HIS car.

Old 11-29-20, 06:38 PM
aj2pointo
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Again, as linked to in my post above. The “manufacturer knows best” argument literally doesn’t make any sense here because the manufacturer of the transmission recommends changing the fluid. You can just as easily say:

Manufacturer of the transmission’s recommendation > Lexus’s recommendation (that also somehow only applies in the USA)
ShinyLexi (12-03-20)
Old 11-29-20, 06:43 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aj2pointo
Again, as linked to in my post above. The “manufacturer knows best” argument literally doesn’t make any sense here because the manufacturer of the transmission recommends changing the fluid. You can just as easily say:

Manufacturer of the transmission’s recommendation > Lexus’s recommendation (that also somehow only applies in the USA)
I know. Isn’t it interesting?

Some people do live in an alternate reality.

Old 11-29-20, 07:58 PM
GeeEss350
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't forget its not in the manufacturers interest for its parts to last forever. Seen the price of Lexus of parts at the dealership?

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid - Change or Not? (Merged threads)