GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Transmission Fluid - Change or Not? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-22, 12:38 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by erickmel
Pardon my ignorance as I am not a mechanic. However, I do know that there are intervals on other cars that you flush your transmission fluid every such and such miles years. What is the difference, technically speaking on the GS350 that does not require this?
Aisin manufacturers the GS transmission and they recommend services. There are consumables in ATF that need to be replenished. The most important transmission service is the 1st, as it removes break in materials.
Lexus may say the ATF is a "lifetime fluid." If you cannot define lifetime, this is a meaningless statement. By the way, Toyota WS is not even a synthetic; I like the Idemitsu WS equivalent.
The following users liked this post:
claarn (08-11-22)
Old 08-11-22, 12:39 PM
claarn
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I absolutely agree with not going against manufacturer recommendations BUT when the recommendation is lacking some basic logic (IMO a 10k+ mile oil change), I tend to sway against it. Again, I'm to the belief of 'fluid is cheap, engines, transmissions diffs etc are not'.
So to stir the pot a little on this topic as I'm curious others' thoughts about the below points...
I'm 'pro-ATF change' and I believe this because :
1) all other fluids on a vehicle have 'service intervals', why not the transmission fluid ? why is it so special ?
2) why does aisin (and possibly other trans manuf's) have a fluid interval change posted for their transmissions but the completed good manufacturer goes against that ?
3) we've all seen what broken down / dark oil looks like , therefore when trans fluid is well, we'll say, aged or used, it turns black why?
4) I'm quite positive I've read in the past that in other countries / regions , people have service intervals for the trans why?
Finally, my true belief as to why vehicle manufacturers put a 'lifetime' claim on the trans fluid is because of money and / or gov't regulation. There has to be a link to EPA regulations and the PCB classification of trans fluid and what savings either monetarily or time to create procedural / disposal requirements for yet another fluid. Especially since the average transmission holds at least 10qts...
Might sound crazy but there's my .02
Old 08-11-22, 01:18 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,496 Posts

@erickmelHERE ◄ This Lexus dealership's service center really, really, really (I mean REALLY) wants to service your transmission!

I can't believe what this Lexus dealership has to say about the transmission. I would never darken the door at this flagrant Atlanta, Georgia Lexus dealership's service center after reading their shameless transmission service recommendation.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-13-22 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Bad info
Old 08-13-22, 02:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Not changing the fluid makes transmission shops very happy.
Old 08-13-22, 05:23 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Guys let’s get back on the thread topic please. Cleaned up all the OT sidebar

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-13-22 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-13-22, 06:20 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
@erickmelHERE ◄ This Lexus dealership's service center really, really, really (I mean REALLY) wants to service your transmission!

I can't believe what this Lexus dealership has to say about the transmission. I would never darken the door at this flagrant Atlanta, Georgia Lexus dealership's service center after reading their shameless transmission service recommendation.
I know the Service Manger at that Dealer. What did you have a problem with in the services they provide? I would argue that their info was spot on!

It goes right along with what the Maker of the Lexus Transmission says to do also also.
Old 08-13-22, 06:23 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

BC, I'm getting close to 15k miles on my 18, will you change the fluid for me?
Old 08-13-22, 06:48 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
I know the Service Manger at that Dealer. What did you have a problem with in the services they provide? I would argue that their info was spot on!

It goes right along with what the Maker of the Lexus Transmission says to do also also.
I don't have a problem with the services they provide, except I absolutely do not believe it is wise to flush an automatic transmission because it unnecessarily sturs up debris that can actually cause damage.

I totally disagree with the two statements below in boldened red. I consider those to be purposefully stated to scare customers, and those statements DO NOT agree with Lexus' recommended service schedule.

The Lexus dealership Nalley Lexus Roswell states:
  • If you don't routinely change your fluids at least every 30,000 miles or so, you may find that your Lexus transmission will slip.
  • Your Lexus transmission filter will need to be replaced every 30,000 or 50,000 miles.
Old 08-13-22, 07:09 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by charley95
@charley95 - Absolutely! You bet! I'll flush that puppy out and fill 'er up with something so secret and so damn good that it will make that tranny last a gazillion miles and shift as smooth as the transmission in a Rolls Royce Phantom.

It should be a lot of fun! Bring lots of beer if you're gonna watch! I do my best work when I'm smashed!

The test drive after I'm done will be truly unforgettable!
Old 08-13-22, 08:02 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bclexus
I don't have a problem with the services they provide, except I absolutely do not believe it is wise to flush an automatic transmission because it unnecessarily sturs up debris that can actually cause damage.

I totally disagree with the two statements below in boldened red. I consider those to be purposefully stated to scare customers, and those statements DO NOT agree with Lexus' recommended service schedule.

The Lexus dealership Nalley Lexus Roswell states:
  • If you don't routinely change your fluids at least every 30,000 miles or so, you may find that your Lexus transmission will slip.
  • Your Lexus transmission filter will need to be replaced every 30,000 or 50,000 miles.
  • Strut Fluid does not get replaced its Lifetime of the Strut. It does contain lifetime fluid that does not call for flush and replenish does it?
  • Did one of the components in yours fail already at only 5k miles?
  • Did you Buy a Service Contract to cover failures on you new 450h?
Old 08-13-22, 08:03 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by charley95
Parts with lower that 15k that contain fluid can fail as low as 5k.
Old 08-13-22, 08:09 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Guys let’s get back on the thread topic please.
Again, let’s keep this on topic please, topic is transmissions & transmission fluid
JeffKeryk (08-14-22)
Old 08-13-22, 08:49 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Posting again for those who have not seen what the Trans Manufacture of the GS Transmission says.

JeffKeryk (08-14-22)
Old 08-13-22, 09:11 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

I had my fluid changed about 50k miles ago along with the rear diff fluid and antifreeze. It made quite a difference with traction and shifts at least from my butt dyno. No flush just took it to Lexus and had them drain and replace following all guidelines on temp and everything else.
JeffKeryk (08-14-22)
Old 08-14-22, 07:30 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
  • Strut Fluid does not get replaced its Lifetime of the Strut. It does contain lifetime fluid that does not call for flush and replenish does it?
  • Did one of the components in yours fail already at only 5k miles?
  • Did you Buy a Service Contract to cover failures on you new 450h?
@jgscott - Maybe you didn't comprehend my post - that what I had boldened in red (stated by Nalley Lexus Roswell in Roswell, GA) does not agree with Lexus's recommended service schedule.
  • Your comments about fluid in shocks/struts is totally senseless. What does that have to do with transmission fluid?
  • Yes, I had a shock that needed replacing under warranty at only 5k miles on my 2018 GS 450h. Many of those AVS shocks/struts have failed - some sooner than others - but you already knew that! What does that have to do with transmission fluid?
  • Yes, I purchased a Lexus Platinum extended warranty for my 2018 GS 450h for peace-of-mind. What does that have to do with transmission fluid?
I suspect others are likely as confused as I am by your post that doesn't even remotely pertain to the topic of this thread.

Last edited by bclexus; 08-14-22 at 07:37 AM. Reason: grammar

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid - Change or Not? (Merged threads)