GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Transmission Fluid - Change or Not? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-22, 06:37 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
This reminds me of a conversation I had with one of the Chemical Engineers of Blackstone Oil analysis. Most of them actually own and drive Toyotas.

I asked about the 10k oil intervals. They said for the most part with good oil they were ok. I asked them if their cars had 10k oil change recommendations. They said yes. I asked if based on what they saw they changed at 10k? They said no, they change at 6.5k-7k. lol!
Lubricants have consumables that need to be replenished. They breakdown over time. Fresh fluids are cheap insurance. I respect my tools; I make an effort to keep them up. A 10K oil change service terrifies me. I use a MityVac to do 5K (or less) oil changes; I swap the filter every 2nd or even 3rd OCI.
Tramsmissions get serviced regularly with top quality full synthetic fluids. Lifetime ATF? Please; "Lifetime" is not a measure.
The following users liked this post:
DaveGS4 (08-15-22)
Old 08-15-22, 08:39 PM
gravesg
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

This whole question has been solved years ago in the IS-F section.
Lexus defines lifetime @ 100K.
That is what corporate has told us for those that called.

SN: Good buddy is a lexus master tech; his personal recommendation is every 60K. Said he notices the fluid starts to darken around that time frame for new cars with no drain and fills from day one into service.
The following 2 users liked this post by gravesg:
LeX2K (08-15-22), websurfer (08-15-22)
Old 08-15-22, 09:06 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,322 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Lubricants have consumables that need to be replenished. They breakdown over time. Fresh fluids are cheap insurance. I respect my tools; I make an effort to keep them up. A 10K oil change service terrifies me. I use a MityVac to do 5K (or less) oil changes; I swap the filter every 2nd or even 3rd OCI.
Transmissions get serviced regularly with top quality full synthetic fluids. Lifetime ATF? Please; "Lifetime" is not a measure.
Yes 100 percent agree here. No matter how good the car fluid in a automobile is. They are all subject to contamination also.
Old 08-16-22, 06:40 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

i've stuck to 30k/60k for brake/trans fluids over owning several japanese cars in my lifetime.. prob overdoing it but whatever no biggie
Old 08-16-22, 07:53 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by gravesg
This whole question has been solved years ago in the IS-F section.
Lexus defines lifetime @ 100K.
That is what corporate has told us for those that called.

SN: Good buddy is a lexus master tech; his personal recommendation is every 60K. Said he notices the fluid starts to darken around that time frame for new cars with no drain and fills from day one into service.
I would love to see a Lexus (or Toyota) website or document that states this. If possible, can you share this?
Gotta wonder why they just don't use "100K" instead of "Lifetime"....
Thanks in advance!
The following 2 users liked this post by JeffKeryk:
Im2bz2p345 (08-16-22), jgscott (08-16-22)
Old 08-16-22, 08:07 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Your final decision on this topic (Change transmission fluid or not) is really quite simple.

While it is not recommended by the vehicle manufacturer (Toyota Motor Corporation/Lexus Division) - that produces 10 million vehicles per year - if it makes you feel better (i.e. peace-of-mind) to replace or flush your vehicle's transmission fluid - or do some 'drain-and-fills' - then if you own the vehicle (not leasing it) then by all means do it! It is your property, your car, and there is absolutely nothing that prevents you from doing it or having it done for you.

While some vehicle manufacturers would likely void the warranty if they learned that you had the transmission fluid replaced, if your car is out-of-warranty there is nothing legitimately at all preventing you from doing whatever you want to your car. You can fill your automatic transmission up with tequila if you wish!

The main determining factors on whether you should replace/change the 'lifetime' transmission fluid are these:
  • How long do you plan to own the vehicle
  • How many miles do you expect to put on the vehicle
  • Do you intend to help preserve the vehicle for the next owner
If you never or rarely ever keep a vehicle beyond 100,000 miles, then there is really no need to waste your time, energy and money to perform a maintenance service that is not even recommended by the car manufacturer. It would provide you no benefit at all.

It should be noted that on-average people keep their vehicles only about 8 years. The average driver drives around 13,500 miles per year. That's about 100,000 miles in the 8 years of ownership! Surely, there will always be a select group of people that keep their vehicles much longer or drive more.

Some people will be involved in accidents that either total the vehicle long before it reaches 100k miles on the odometer, or the owner decides it is best to get rid of it after the accident.

I dare say that most Club Lexus members will not own their Lexus vehicle with lifetime automatic transmission fluid long enough to see 100,000 miles on their vehicle's odometer. However, there will be certainly exceptions.

As a final notation, there are a growing number of Toyota/Lexus vehicles with 'lifetime' automatic transmission fluid that have logged over two times (~200,000 miles) the
purported 100k mileage life of the 'lifetime' automatic transmission fluid with absolutely no (zero) problems whatsoever.

Last edited by bclexus; 08-17-22 at 05:16 AM. Reason: grammar
The following 5 users liked this post by bclexus:
AJLex19 (08-16-22), byungkuk (08-16-22), CushionPk (08-18-22), oldguy77 (08-16-22), tompass (08-16-22)
Old 08-16-22, 10:35 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

It is lifetime for those who are just leasing their cars, regardless of the manufacturers.

I just don't like seeing threads like "My transmission is slipping after fluid change and it was fine before." That kind of thing scares me more than the actual transmission failing after 200K miles or so. Yes, I'm adding more worms to the already opened cans of ATF worms in here.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 08-16-22 at 10:38 AM.
tompass (08-16-22)
Old 08-16-22, 10:51 AM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Agree. I posted early on in this discussion that I had a horrible experience with transmission fluid change in a previously owned BMW. Was done at a "German" shop that I always dealt with beginning with a Benz prior the BMW. Well don't know why but after the service, the transmission was trash. They would not take responsibility so had to limp in to nearest BMW dealer for the repair. Fortunately I had purchase an extended warranty, something necessary with any BMW out of warranty!, and ended up having the transmission replaced for $6K. Extended warranty covered cost of repair less deductible. So now am reluctant to service my '13 with 97K miles and will just roll the dice. I do not drive the car hard or tow or put many annual miles on the clock having two cars and retired.
Old 08-16-22, 10:54 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
It is lifetime for those who are just leasing their cars, regardless of the manufacturers.

I just don't like seeing threads like "My transmission is slipping after fluid change and it was fine before." That kind of thing scares me more than the actual transmission failing after 200K miles or so. Yes, I'm adding more worms to the already opened cans of ATF worms in here.
Exactly!

@ItzFilyO - And for you, with your car buying history, it is highly doubtful you'll even own the your current car three years from now - or have even close to half the purported 100k mileage life of the 'lifetime' automatic transmission fluid.
tompass (08-16-22)
Old 08-16-22, 11:02 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
Exactly!

@ItzFilyO - And for you, with your car buying history, it is highly doubtful you'll even own the your current car three years from now - or have even close to half the purported 100k mileage life of the 'lifetime' automatic transmission fluid.
I was going to keep this GS for a while but now shock's leaking and they can't find where that rattle noise is coming from. Not a good sign. I might just keep leasing cars and dump them before the warranty expires and never worry about repairs.

Too bad Lexus doesn't have anything that interests me right now. The new LS doesn't really appeal to me and I hate that tablet on dash design. The new headlights don't look good either. The pre-refresh model looks better I think. RX drives better than my ES. Yes, u heard that right! What the F is going on with Lexus here?!

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 08-16-22 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-16-22, 11:20 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I was going to keep this GS for a while but now shock's leaking and they can't find where that rattle noise is coming from. Not a good sign. I might just keep leasing cars and dump them before the warranty expires and never worry about repairs.

Too bad Lexus doesn't have anything that interests me right now. The new LS doesn't really appeal to me and I hate that tablet on dash design. The new headlights don't look good either. The pre-refresh model looks better I think. RX drives better than my ES. Yes, u heard that right! What the F is going on with Lexus here?!
@ItzFilyO - I tend to agree with you about what Lexus has to offer.

I have a Range Rover but if I buy another Lexus it'll probably be a SUV, not a sedan because nothing in their lineup interests me.

So, did you remember to ask how much the AVS shock replacement for your GS 350 would have cost if it had not been under warranty?
Old 08-16-22, 11:23 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

I have a Range Rover but if I buy another Lexus it'll probably be a SUV, not a sedan because nothing in their lineup interests me.

So, did you remember to ask how much the AVS shock replacement for your GS 350 would have cost if it had not been under warranty?
I haven't been back to the dealer yet, still waiting for the call to pick up my GS. I really hope it's today.
Old 08-16-22, 11:40 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Glad I got my GS when I did, nothing in the Lexus line up interests me either. I sure hope the dealer didn't damage anything on your car ITZ. Ya might wanna look it over before ya leave the dealership.
Old 08-16-22, 11:41 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

@bclexus off-topic but what has been your ownership experience with the Range Rover? Older/newer? Full size or sport? Pricey repairs and general upkeep?
Old 08-16-22, 11:42 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by charley95
Glad I got my GS when I did, nothing in the Lexus line up interests me either.
Better check those shocks for leaks!! Seems like a common problem for the GS here.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid - Change or Not? (Merged threads)