GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Transmission Fluid - Change or Not? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-22, 11:44 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Will do, Thanks!
Old 08-16-22, 12:05 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I generally agree with your comments above BC except I’d note it’s your opinion and not the “final decision” because you put it in bold, lol.

If I were leasing a new vehicle with lifetime fluid with intent to turn in, I definitely wouldn’t pay to change it.

If I was keeping it or buying used and driving over 100k I would change it every 60-70k with a drain and fill, not a flush.

Originally Posted by bclexus
I dare say that most every Club Lexus member will not own their Lexus vehicle with lifetime automatic transmission fluid long enough to see 100,000 miles on their vehicle's odometer.

As a final notation, there are a growing number of Toyota/Lexus vehicles with 'lifetime' automatic transmission fluid that have logged over two times (~200,000 miles) the
purported 100k mileage life of the 'lifetime' automatic transmission fluid with absolutely no (zero) problems whatsoever.
on these two I’d disagree. There are tons of members with higher mileage Lexus here, and that number is growing every day. Most are secondhand buyers and are considering what preventative maintenance to do to keep their vehicle running well long term.

As those higher mileage cars get older if their transmission fluid isn’t changed it absolutely can cause issues. I know personally, I’m one of them (I put that in bold so you know I’m right, lol). I bought my LS430 CPO and drove it a ton, it was one of the first Lexus to use the lifetime fluid sealed transmissions. As it hit 140k miles it started to have some issues with slipping under certain conditions. I actually had to argue with my Lexus dealer service guy to do the drain and fill because they said “it’s lifetime” and escalated to the service manager to get them to do it. That fixed my issues and the transmission is still going fine after 250k now with a new owner (I sold at about 230k). There are plenty of similar threads across the different model forums as well as a lot of threads with folks with issues after getting a transmission flush. YMMV
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (08-16-22)
Old 08-16-22, 12:07 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Better check those shocks for leaks!! Seems like a common problem for the GS here.
Agreed - but i think its more of a problem on AVS equipped GS's (Lux or F-Sport). I have a '13 with 65k miles non AVS premium pkg GS on the original suspension components.
Old 08-16-22, 12:09 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Does the 450h come with AVS standard?
Old 08-16-22, 12:16 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

I believe the 450h would need to be an F-Sport or Lux pkg to have AVS.
Old 08-16-22, 12:49 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,322 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I generally agree with your comments above BC except I’d note it’s your opinion and not the “final decision” because you put it in bold, lol.

If I were leasing a new vehicle with lifetime fluid with intent to turn in, I definitely wouldn’t pay to change it.

If I was keeping it or buying used and driving over 100k I would change it every 60-70k with a drain and fill, not a flush.

on these two I’d disagree. There are tons of members with higher mileage Lexus here, and that number is growing every day. Most are secondhand buyers and are considering what preventative maintenance to do to keep their vehicle running well long term.

As those higher mileage cars get older if their transmission fluid isn’t changed it absolutely can cause issues. I know personally, I’m one of them (I put that in bold so you know I’m right, lol). I bought my LS430 CPO and drove it a ton, it was one of the first Lexus to use the lifetime fluid sealed transmissions. As it hit 140k miles it started to have some issues with slipping under certain conditions. I actually had to argue with my Lexus dealer service guy to do the drain and fill because they said “it’s lifetime” and escalated to the service manager to get them to do it. That fixed my issues and the transmission is still going fine after 250k now with a new owner (I sold at about 230k). There are plenty of similar threads across the different model forums as well as a lot of threads with folks with issues after getting a transmission flush. YMMV
I was kinda thinking the same about the Final decision and the Bold... but I decided to leave it alone. lol!

You need only to do a search in the 3rd Gen, and 2nd Gen IS350 forum to see there are Trans problems that pop up regularly with the same Trans we have. It happens.
Old 08-16-22, 01:04 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,322 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I would love to see a Lexus (or Toyota) website or document that states this. If possible, can you share this?
Gotta wonder why they just don't use "100K" instead of "Lifetime"....
Thanks in advance!
All the Tech's I know and talk to at Lexus and Toyota Dealership that own them all, service their Transmission fluids regularly. Don't believe it, ask them.

They all do that I have asked about their own cars and trucks. When I use to say to them what about the lifetime fluid, they would just change put their chins down, change expressions and look at me in silence.

If anyone wants to go to a Toyota Dealer and ask them for this service code, this is what I have paid one time I did not do it myself on my ES350.

JeffKeryk (08-20-22)
Old 08-16-22, 02:49 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

I service my transmissions. I care about my tools, and cars are expensive tools. Ownership duration does not matter to me; I believe in proper maintenance.
This attitude extends beyong my tools; I used it in my career and it has served me well. Go the extra mile. It works. That's my experience.
Old 08-16-22, 04:44 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
@bclexus off-topic but what has been your ownership experience with the Range Rover? Older/newer? Full size or sport? Pricey repairs and general upkeep?
@AJLex19 - It's a 2018 Range Rover Sport with the 340-hp, 3.0-liter supercharged V-6. It has a really nice interior with great comfort. I like the styling and it has lots of really nice features, nice navigation, color HUD and 8-speaker high wattage premium sound system, etc. The suspension has the rear air springs and adaptive dampers. The MPG rating is only fair (about the same as the GS 350) at 17mpg city and 23 mpg highway, but it's a heavy vehicle weighing almost 5,000 lbs so in that regard it's not too bad. It has a tendency to wear tires quickly due to the vehicle's weight and four wheel drive.

It most definitely is not an inexpensive vehicle to own and maintain. If you have the dealership handle the recommended and scheduled maintenance such as oil & filter changes, fluids, batteries, tires, alignment, rotation, software/firmware updates and calibrations, etc. it's nothing to have it cost over a thousand bucks every time you take it in. If you're the type that balks at high dealership maintenance charges you probably should not consider one. If you prefer to do your own maintenance you likewise should not consider one because all the maintenance items are quiet expensive and often very unique to the model making it difficult to maintain as a DIY'er. Other than that, it's really nice!

Last edited by bclexus; 08-17-22 at 04:45 AM. Reason: grammar
AJLex19 (08-17-22)
Old 08-17-22, 05:19 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@ItzFilyO - Yes, the GS 450h has AVS standard with all the drive modes just like the F-Sport. My GS 450h however is not a F-Sport so it doesn't have the problematic front brakes.

Last edited by bclexus; 08-17-22 at 05:26 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-17-22, 05:23 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I believe the 450h would need to be an F-Sport or Lux pkg to have AVS.
@AJLex19 - My 2018 GS 450h has AVS shocks and all the drive modes but is not a F-Sport. I'm glad I don't have the F-Sport's problematic front brakes.
AJLex19 (08-17-22)
Old 08-17-22, 07:23 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

But I don't have the F-Sport's problematic front brakes either.
Old 08-17-22, 08:00 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

@AJLex19 - It's a 2018 Range Rover Sport with the 340-hp, 3.0-liter supercharged V-6. It has a really nice interior with great comfort. I like the styling and it has lots of really nice features, nice navigation, color HUD and 8-speaker high wattage premium sound system, etc. The suspension has the rear air springs and adaptive dampers. The MPG rating is only fair (about the same as the GS 350) at 17mpg city and 23 mpg highway, but it's a heavy vehicle weighing almost 5,000 lbs so in that regard it's not too bad. It has a tendency to wear tires quickly due to the vehicle's weight and four wheel drive.

It most definitely is not an inexpensive vehicle to own and maintain. If you have the dealership handle the recommended and scheduled maintenance such as oil & filter changes, fluids, batteries, tires, alignment, rotation, software/firmware updates and calibrations, etc. it's nothing to have it cost over a thousand bucks every time you take it in. If you're the type that balks at high dealership maintenance charges you probably should not consider one. If you prefer to do your own maintenance you likewise should not consider one because all the maintenance items are quiet expensive and often very unique to the model making it difficult to maintain as a DIY'er. Other than that, it's really nice!
Thanks for the feedback thats certainly in line with everything i've heard from owners. Been contemplating a 2014-2017 RRS even made an offer on a 2014 HSE V6 w/39k miles earlier this year...they aren't a dealership that does that non-negotiating, one-price, no haggling...but they wouldn't take a penny less than asking!

@AJLex19 - My 2018 GS 450h has AVS shocks and all the drive modes but is not a F-Sport. I'm glad I don't have the F-Sport's problematic front brakes.
Didn't realize all 4GS hybrids had AVS as standard...learn something new everyday
bclexus (08-17-22)
Old 08-17-22, 09:11 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the feedback thats certainly in line with everything i've heard from owners. Been contemplating a 2014-2017 RRS even made an offer on a 2014 HSE V6 w/39k miles earlier this year...they aren't a dealership that does that non-negotiating, one-price, no haggling...but they wouldn't take a penny less than asking!

Didn't realize all 4GS hybrids had AVS as standard...learn something new everyday
@AJLex19 - Yeah, I had the passenger side rear AVS shock (Part# 48530-80779) replaced right after I purchased it with only 5,000 miles on the odometer due to it leaking with loss of tension.

Last edited by bclexus; 08-17-22 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Added data sheet w/ AVS part numbers for all 4GS models
AJLex19 (08-17-22)
Old 08-18-22, 09:18 AM
PM22
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFFOS69
It definately won't hurt it (if you replace with the same fluid again)

Problem is this is a sealed tranny isn't it? Whatever you get out and replace will only be a very small amount. Might be a big effort to get all the fluid out (which you may not even be able to do)
Mine is sealed - at least that's what my LExus tech told me.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid - Change or Not? (Merged threads)