GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Transmission Fluid - Change or Not? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-22, 10:01 AM
ViperTim
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
I would not mess around with the transmission fluid and leave it alone, Lexus does not recommend changing it and I never will. I'm at 125k+ miles, original transmission fluid, runs perfectly fine. I'll report back at 200k+ miles for all the non believers here on how nice my transmission still shifts. I'll leave it at that, lots of other threads of transmission theory, arguments, and misguided beliefs
Originally Posted by peasodos
Might as well sea foam the engine and Service that bad-boy!

Might as well change the oil every 3k miles or every 4 months and Service that bad-boy!

Might as well buy the Baxter Performance oil filter adapter and Service that bad-boy!

Might as well change your blinker fluid and Service that bad-boy!
Now you’re just being silly.
Usually you provide great information but regarding this I strongly disagree with you.

there are various reasons for changing transmission fluid.
everything from bad speed clutches, bad lockup clutches ( looking at you ZF 6HP), clogged solenoids etc. The list can be made long.

Fluid change is zero guarantee for a trouble free ownership.
Just like an oil change in the engine will not guarantee a trouble free ownership.
But it greatly increase your chances of a less troublesome ownership.

Question:
Why does Lexus say 30k km on the rear diff fluid and lifetime on transmission?
If there’s any fluid that lives a hard life it’s definitely NOT the rear diff.

Bonus question:
Can you define “lifetime”?
Old 10-19-22, 11:28 AM
KingRaptor
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a drain and fill (about 2 quarts) at 91,000 miles on my 2013 GS350. That same weekend, I also did a drain and fill (also about 2 quarts) at 60,000 miles on my 2014 Avalon. The GS350 fluid was darker (see attached image), but it is impossible to know if it was "out of spec" or hurting anything; you could have fluid that looks dark but still meet the lubrication, cooling, cleaning requirements.

Neither my GS350 nor the Avalon had any issues shifting before the transmission drain and fill. After doing the service myself, the Avalon still did not feel any different, but the GS350 did feel slightly smoother on its shifts (they were slightly more "crisp" or "assertive" shifts vs before the drain). Again, before the service, I would not consider the GS350 problematic; it was just a little bit better afterwards.

In the long run, if you plan to replace the car before 200,000 miles, it won't make any difference. My 2004 Camry made it to 196K on the original transmission fluid (and it had a trans dipstick, so I think it was using the prior, non-lifetime Toyota fluid). At 160K, the Camry's shifts felt somewhat rougher, but at 190K, the radiator and cooling system failed before the transmission did.

So, moral of the story, do a drain and fill if it makes you feel better that you could keep the car running past 200K. Is it absolutely necessary, probably not. Toyota & Lexus engines and transmissions are built relatively tough and can probably handle the "abuse" of not replacing the fluid for the "lifetime" of the trans.

Old 10-19-22, 11:52 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

So other parts will most likely fail before the transmission gives up and by then, that's probably a good time to get rid of the car and get something else.
The following users liked this post:
mikemu30 (10-20-22)
Old 10-19-22, 12:35 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by KingRaptor
I did a drain and fill (about 2 quarts) at 91,000 miles on my 2013 GS350. That same weekend, I also did a drain and fill (also about 2 quarts) at 60,000 miles on my 2014 Avalon. The GS350 fluid was darker (see attached image), but it is impossible to know if it was "out of spec" or hurting anything; you could have fluid that looks dark but still meet the lubrication, cooling, cleaning requirements.

Neither my GS350 nor the Avalon had any issues shifting before the transmission drain and fill. After doing the service myself, the Avalon still did not feel any different, but the GS350 did feel slightly smoother on its shifts (they were slightly more "crisp" or "assertive" shifts vs before the drain). Again, before the service, I would not consider the GS350 problematic; it was just a little bit better afterwards.

In the long run, if you plan to replace the car before 200,000 miles, it won't make any difference. My 2004 Camry made it to 196K on the original transmission fluid (and it had a trans dipstick, so I think it was using the prior, non-lifetime Toyota fluid). At 160K, the Camry's shifts felt somewhat rougher, but at 190K, the radiator and cooling system failed before the transmission did.

So, moral of the story, do a drain and fill if it makes you feel better that you could keep the car running past 200K. Is it absolutely necessary, probably not. Toyota & Lexus engines and transmissions are built relatively tough and can probably handle the "abuse" of not replacing the fluid for the "lifetime" of the trans.

So I'm at 80K and put about 10-12K a year on the car. Even if I have the car another 10 years that puts me below 200K.

I would think mileage would matter more than age when it comes to the fluid since it's a closed system? Or does that make sense LOL
Old 10-19-22, 01:11 PM
KingRaptor
10th Gear

Originally Posted by gs350noob
So I'm at 80K and put about 10-12K a year on the car. Even if I have the car another 10 years that puts me below 200K.

I would think mileage would matter more than age when it comes to the fluid since it's a closed system? Or does that make sense LOL
I agree which is why I went by mileage as well.

I know some people say "drain and fill at 60K", others swear to "drop pan and flush as much fluid as possible", yet others are like "it is lifetime because the engineers who designed the car know their stuff". I didn't bother when my GS350 hit 60K and when my Avalon did, the GS was at 91K so I figured I'd do both vehicles to learn how this worked and to compare the fluids.

I'd never done any transmission service on any of my cars (DIY nor had a mechanic) prior to this, so to me, it was more of a hobby to learn how to DIY a trans drain and fill and not just change the engine oil. It cost me like $40 for 6 quarts of Toyota ATF WS at the dealership and $10 for a fluid pump. It was a great experience to learn how to drain, how to fill, how to check the level, understand the theory of "what transmission fluid does", etc. The value isn't extending my trans life so it can last 500K miles, it's not even about placebo or sleeping better at night. To me, the learning and fun I had working on it was worth the $50 and time I spent on both cars. One day, when I'm old and no longer able to work on my own cars, at least I can better sniff out any BS a mechanic might throw at me.
Old 10-19-22, 01:15 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

I agree which is why I went by mileage as well.

I know some people say "drain and fill at 60K", others swear to "drop pan and flush as much fluid as possible", yet others are like "it is lifetime because the engineers who designed the car know their stuff". I didn't bother when my GS350 hit 60K and when my Avalon did, the GS was at 91K so I figured I'd do both vehicles to learn how this worked and to compare the fluids.

I'd never done any transmission service on any of my cars (DIY nor had a mechanic) prior to this, so to me, it was more of a hobby to learn how to DIY a trans drain and fill and not just change the engine oil. It cost me like $40 for 6 quarts of Toyota ATF WS at the dealership and $10 for a fluid pump. It was a great experience to learn how to drain, how to fill, how to check the level, understand the theory of "what transmission fluid does", etc. The value isn't extending my trans life so it can last 500K miles, it's not even about placebo or sleeping better at night. To me, the learning and fun I had working on it was worth the $50 and time I spent on both cars. One day, when I'm old and no longer able to work on my own cars, at least I can better sniff out any BS a mechanic might throw at me.
That does sound cool but I'm not there myself. I'm mechanically pretty remedial, so I only really feel confident handling oil changes/brake fluid exchange/brake pad type work.
Old 10-19-22, 01:18 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Probably better to DIY if u have the equipment so u will know exactly how it's done and if u messed up something. Rather than having someone else do it and u won't know what they did and messed up until much later. Oh my tranny's slippin'!

After what happened to my GS, I'm really having a hard time handing my keys over to any shop now. The nightmare never goes away.

Even that fuel pump recall job left a black, sticky, gooey mess under the seat from the adhesive they used to reinstall the metal cover. Shops just don't care about customers' cars.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 10-19-22 at 01:21 PM.
KingRaptor (10-20-22)
Old 10-19-22, 01:36 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Its just a matter of time. Go to the IS350 and RX350 and GS 3rd gen forum. Its the same Trans. Justifying not doing anything will not keep the fluid clean and debris free. After about 100k, no change is on borrowed time. No change is for the 3-4 year New car own then trade crowd. Every Toyota/Lex Tech I talk to changes their fluid.

Drive till it needs replacing is a option. I agree. Nothing last forever, but something's last longer than others. Again the Toyota Lexus built narrative argument is ill relevant. They did not build nor supply that Transmission in your GS, lol!

What Lifetime coverage does Lexus provide to back up the claim?
Old 10-19-22, 01:56 PM
KingRaptor
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jgscott
They did not build nor supply that Transmission in your GS, lol!
Actually, the transmission is made by Aisin which is part of Toyota Group and Toyota is a majority stakeholder owner of Aisin.
Old 10-19-22, 02:13 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I’ve combined this latest transmission fluid change question into the merged thread on this same exact topic.

IF YOU’VE ALREADY POSTED YOUR POSITION on this topic and are just regurgitating the same detail without any new information, please consider that you’ve already said it in this thread (probably many times) and give it a rest.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-19-22 at 02:24 PM.
93SCMax (10-19-22)
Old 10-19-22, 03:18 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Actually, the transmission is made by Aisin which is part of Toyota Group and Toyota is a majority stakeholder owner of Aisin.
Yes, but they do not operate under Toyota. They are stake holders. What you said sounds good, but..... The point is so Aisin makes the Trans and says service it. But Toyota says don't?

In fact it's just not a simple as that either. My point still remains that Toyota/Lexus did not design and manufacture the Trans, and has little to nothing regardless. I did say they did not design it. Toyota does have Toyota brand parts, and cars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AisinThe company traces its origins to 1943, when Tokai Aviation Industries (東海航空工業, Tōkai Kōkū Kōgyō) was founded as a joint venture between the Toyota Motor Corporation and Kawasaki Aircraft Industries to produce aircraft engines for the Imperial Japanese Army Air Service. The company was quickly renamed Tokai Airplane Industries (東海飛行機工業, Tōkai Hikōki Kōgyō) after it was discovered that there was a pre-existing company with the same name.[11]

After the war, Tokai renamed itself Aichi Industries (知工業, Aichi Kōgyō), and shifted production from aircraft parts to sewing machines and automobile parts. In 1965, Aichi Kogyo merged with auto parts manufacturer Shinkawa Kogyo 川産業 to form Aisin Seiki Co., Ltd. (アイシン精機株式会社, Aishin Seiki Kabushiki gaisha).[1]

In October 2019, Aisin Seiki announced that it would merge with subsidiary Aisin AW, consolidating management and renaming the company.[12] Effective April 1, 2021, the combined company was officially renamed Aisin Corporation.[13]
Old 11-02-22, 12:02 AM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Had been agonizing in some of the posts above about whether to change my transmission fluid. Car is at 80,000 miles and transmission functioning fine.

Got it done today by my mechanic (Lexus dealer refused to do it LOL) and the early returns are good. Drove about 60 miles in all different drive modes and a mix of mild and aggressive acceleration.

There was a (probably placebo) impression that the car is shifting just a bit smoother. I'm sure if you changed the fluid without telling me I would not notice the difference though.

Glad I got it and the differential done. After I change the coolant and the brake fluid myself, I should be all caught up with major non-motor oil fluids for several years.

Feels good.
The following 2 users liked this post by gs350noob:
93SCMax (11-02-22), JeffKeryk (11-02-22)
Old 11-02-22, 03:25 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350noob
Glad I got it and the differential done. After I change the coolant and the brake fluid myself, I should be all caught up with major non-motor oil fluids for several years.

Feels good.
It does indeed feel good. I'm kind of getting sick of changing the diff oil every 2 years and the transmission fluid and plugs much less frequently but it is nice to stick to the book. Even on a 10 year old car.
bob256k (11-02-22)
Old 11-02-22, 10:57 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

Changing the diff fluid makes a difference as well , especially with traction.
Old 11-02-22, 11:44 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by bob256k
Changing the diff fluid makes a difference as well , especially with traction.
I hope you are kidding. That has no basis in fact. Traction is in the contact patch where the tire meets the road.
bclexus (11-02-22)

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid - Change or Not? (Merged threads)