GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Transmission Fluid - Change or Not? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-22, 11:48 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
I hope you are kidding. That has no basis in fact. Traction is in the contact patch where the tire meets the road.

semantics. The diff transmits power to the wheels, if the fluid is old it will make a difference in how much power the wheel with traction will get vs the wheel spinning, given the rear diff is open and we have an "e-lsd", which is integrated with the traction control
Old 11-02-22, 11:50 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by KingRaptor
Actually, the transmission is made by Aisin which is part of Toyota Group and Toyota is a majority stakeholder owner of Aisin.
And Aisin recommends servicing the thransmission.
The following 2 users liked this post by JeffKeryk:
bob256k (11-02-22), jgscott (11-02-22)
Old 11-02-22, 11:52 AM
bob256k
Instructor

I had Lexus of Pleasanton, CA change my transmission fluid and had my mechanic do the rear diff, made a huge difference to me , especially if you like to drive "spiritedly". I might have it done again as im at nearly 60k since it was last done.
Old 11-02-22, 12:13 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by bob256k
Changing the diff fluid makes a difference as well , especially with traction.
The following users liked this post:
Knucklebus (11-02-22)
Old 11-02-22, 12:15 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I had Lexus of Pleasanton, CA change my transmission fluid and had my mechanic do the rear diff, made a huge difference to me , especially if you like to drive "spiritedly". I might have it done again as im at nearly 60k since it was last done.
semantics. The diff transmits power to the wheels, if the fluid is old it will make a difference in how much power the wheel with traction will get vs the wheel spinning, given the rear diff is open and we have an "e-lsd", which is integrated with the traction control
@bob256k - You must have a finely tuned, highly sensitive pair of gluts to feel the malarkey you're dishing!

Last edited by bclexus; 11-02-22 at 04:55 PM.
Knucklebus (11-02-22)
Old 11-02-22, 04:53 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
I hope you are kidding. That has no basis in fact. Traction is in the contact patch where the tire meets the road.
@Knucklebus - That's an incomprehensible, totally meaningless and crazy fact to him!
Old 11-02-22, 05:13 PM
bob256k
Instructor

@bclexus Yep, my booty is a finely tuned machine🤣🤣🤣
Old 11-02-22, 05:35 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@bclexus Yep, my booty is a finely tuned machine🤣🤣🤣
Your booty may be, but the ol' gray matter badly needs a tune-up!
Old 11-03-22, 06:29 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

That's a big dealership. I live in Los Gatos. I do my own work but buy parts from Lexus of Stevens Creek; their prices are really good.
What did Pleasenton charge for the trans service? Did they say how much fluid they used? Should be less than 3 quarts of WS.
There would be a big difference if they changed the transmission filter (screen), versus a spill and fill.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by JeffKeryk; 11-03-22 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-04-22, 02:32 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
That's a big dealership. I live in Los Gatos. I do my own work but buy parts from Lexus of Stevens Creek; their prices are really good.
What did Pleasenton charge for the trans service? Did they say how much fluid they used? Should be less than 3 quarts of WS.
There would be a big difference if they changed the transmission filter (screen), versus a spill and fill.
Thanks in advance!
IIRC it was $400. of course that was pre pandemic prices, so it might be higher. It was a full empty and replace, no flush, I dont remember the total amount they replaced but it was quite a bit.

If you live in Los Gatos, try Genuine Automotive across from Sutter Health on LG blvd. He has done all the work on my GS since the L-cert warranty expired and I haven't been unhappy once, and I have had A LOT of maintenance done there ( Brakes, tuneups, oil changes, alignment, coolant change with flush, brake fluid, rear diff fluid, install of Diode Dynamics Foglights, etc.)
JeffKeryk (11-04-22)
Old 11-04-22, 03:57 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Good for everyone who does Trans fluid service if you plan to keep the car for some time. Get's you out of the drive till it breaks club.
JeffKeryk (11-04-22)
Old 11-04-22, 08:25 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

IIRC it was $400. of course that was pre pandemic prices, so it might be higher. It was a full empty and replace, no flush, I dont remember the total amount they replaced but it was quite a bit.

If you live in Los Gatos, try Genuine Automotive across from Sutter Health on LG blvd. He has done all the work on my GS since the L-cert warranty expired and I haven't been unhappy once, and I have had A LOT of maintenance done there ( Brakes, tuneups, oil changes, alignment, coolant change with flush, brake fluid, rear diff fluid, install of Diode Dynamics Foglights, etc.)
I will do the trans service myself; I was wondering what a shop charged. A spill and fill should be pretty cheap as you only replace 2.5 quarts. On a lift it is a piece of cake.
The pan drop and filter screen swap can add some pain...
Thanks for your post!
Old 11-05-22, 08:16 PM
Gr8
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

I didnt get a chance to do a transmission fluid change on my Lexus just yet, but, I did a transmission drain and fill on my 2015 Prius this morning that just rolled over 90k miles and, quite frankly, the oil was quite dark, much darker than what the new one looked like. Now, personally, I think that any and every fluid in a vehicle should be changed at a reasonable mileage. I do not thrash my vehicles, red line them, tow with or haul anything with them either, so I think that around 90k is a good mileage to do these sort of fluid changes. Again, that is just my personal thinking, other certainly have different perspective. Since I do majority of the services myself, it does not cost me too much to do the simple drain and fills.

Attached are some of the pictures of the Toyota "Lifetime" Transmission fluid that came out of my Prius and you can see how dark it is. I know, I know, the color of the fluid does not say anything about the effectiveness of any of these fluids, except the brake fluid, but still. Yes, the Prius has CVT and the Lexus has proper transmission (except of course 450h), but still. Also adding a couple of pictures of my sister's 2016 Nissan Rogue that has a CVT and also claims to have a Nissan's "Lifetime" fluid in it, and that one is not in that great of a condition either.

2015 Prius @ 90K miles

2015 Prius @ 90K miles

2015 Prius @ 90K miles

2016 Rogue @ 84K miles

2016 Rogue @ 84K miles
Old 12-02-22, 10:59 AM
jptwo3
10th Gear

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
Absolutely correct!
Always find it entertaining when someone starts a thread about the transmission fluid and needing to be changed. Many chime in with oh yes it needs to be changed and nothing last forever. They have ZERO experience on transmissions especially Lexus transmissions. Than there are the conspiracy theorist who state Lexus says do not change the fluid knowing it will fail as soon as it gets out of warranty. If I believed this to be true I would sell my Lexus and never ever own one again.

My local Lexus Service manager who has 25 years experience working on Lexus vehicles and has been trained by Lexus said it never needs to be changed. He went to Detroit where the transmissions are made for training and asked what is the #1 cause of Lexus transmission failing. Their reply was the wrong level of fluid and the wrong fluid. Both of these are factors in one changing the fluid. I will save my money and never change the fluid and listen to the experts. Never changed the transmission fluid and never had one problem.
Old 12-02-22, 11:18 AM
gravesg
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jptwo3
THANKS Freds430. I joined this forum to say "thank you!" So stressed out over this trans service debate! My 2013 GS350 FSPORT has 143k. Has been pampered and shifts seamlessly.
Change your fluid, It wouldn't be a recommended service in the international service manual if it was actually lifetime.
Toyota also wouldn't have the fluid available at dealers for sale if they weren't using it.
Why is the fluid not sold on the bottle as "toyota lifetime fluid" lol because it is a wear item.
These 6-spd and 10-spd boxes have all had raving reviews of brand new like shifting after fluid swaps, and 0 failures.
Youtube has quite a few guys knocking it out on video.
You only stand to gain more reliability and new oem shifting.
5 minutes in thermodynamics class would let everyone know why there is no such thing as a lifetime fluid in any machinery from any manufacture to date; in any industry.

Change the fluid.

Edit: It was confirmed Lexus defines lifetime as 100k service miles.

Edit 2: the guy said his guy said the failures come from the wrong fluid level. The fluid level gets low over time because this is a vented transmission. so when you heat the fluid it slowly cooks and vapors out through the trans; just like oil cycles in an engine. This is why this is a service item in the international manual.

Even water isn't a lifetime fluid, its the purest and still has to be refreshed and filtered.

Last edited by gravesg; 12-02-22 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid - Change or Not? (Merged threads)