GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Year old car, gone a week, dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-15, 04:51 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Do you know the answer or are you just screwing with me?
No, I do not know the answers to the questions posed. That's the problem all owners that have had unexpected dead batteries have had with this issue - no answers! But, what to do about it also depends on whether you are leasing the car, or if you own the car...and if you own the car - how long do you plan on keeping it. Also, whether you are willing to have it happen a second or 3rd time before demanding that Lexus replace the battery for you. My best guess is that the problem so many Lexus owners have experienced (with different models) is with the OE Panasonic battery, not a problem with the car.

Since your car is only one-year-old the battery is covered by the original warranty, which should be fully warranted for at least 2 years. If the car was mine, I would attempt to have my Lexus dealership replace the OE battery. (They know about the battery problems...) For your information...and for whatever it's worth, when Lexus U.S. replaces an OE Panasonic battery they will replace it with an Interstate MTP (Mega Tron Plus) battery that is labeled with the 'Lexus' name. It is an excellent battery choice, with much better specifications than the OE Panasonic. This same Interstate battery (not labeled 'Lexus') can be purchased from numerous sources (e.g. NTB) for ~$140.00.

Personally, I do not like surprises - like a dead battery and a car that won't start...and would always be a bit hesitant, second-guessing whether that OE Panasonic battery will let me down when I could least afford the time and trouble to deal with a dead battery.

Last edited by bclexus; 02-16-15 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-16-15, 06:54 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
No, I do not know the answers to the questions posed. That's the problem all owners that have had unexpected dead batteries have had with this issue - no answers! But, what to do about it also depends on whether you are leasing the car, or if you own the car...and if you own the car - how long do you plan on keeping it. Also, whether you are willing to have it happen a second or 3rd time before demanding that Lexus replace the battery for you. My best guess is that the problem so many Lexus owners have experienced (with different models) is with the OE Panasonic battery, not a problem with the car.

Since your car is only one-year-old the battery is covered by the original warranty, which should be fully warranted for at least 2 years. If the car was mine, I would attempt to have my Lexus dealership replace the OE battery. (They know about the battery problems...) For your information...and for whatever it's worth, when Lexus U.S. replaces an OE Panasonic battery they will replace it with an Interstate MTP (Mega Tron Plus) battery that is labeled with the 'Lexus' name. It is an excellent battery choice, with much better specifications than the OE Panasonic. This same Interstate battery (not labeled 'Lexus') can be purchased from numerous sources (e.g. NTB) for ~$140.00.

Personally, I do not like surprises - like a dead battery and a car that won't start...and would always be a bit hesitant, second-guessing whether that OE Panasonic battery will let me down when I could least afford the time and trouble to deal with a dead battery.
Fair answer, but at this point I don't have much of a case and don't feel like fighting them over it unless it happens again. It could be a long time before it sits that long again, and I do own a battery tender. I do appreciate your input.

I'm familiar with how today's cars can have this sort of problem. When the C6 Corvette came out in 2005 I was really into them big time. Many of the 05's had what became known as DBS....dead battery syndrome. It took GM over a year to figure out what caused it but they eventually did and it became a simple reflash to fix. But thousands of cars had the problem. On the other hand I had two 2005's and neither one of them was afflicted with it.
Old 02-17-15, 10:49 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For reference and what it's worth my car has been sitting in a cold garage for two weeks now without running.

The car is currently pulling 16 mA from the battery and the voltage is 11.9v
No problem starting and I'd expect the car to start 2 weeks+ down the road with the current amp draw.

I'd be bringing the car to the dealer as at this point as well , as it should be easy to trouble shoot a new car. The dealer should know normal discharge rate, battery staus and alternator status. Should be one of those items.

The issues really start If you find the resting amp draw is too high. Then the problem becomes a little more involved LOL. Well usually a lot more involved as they have to find the source of the parasitic draw on the battery, and that can take a LOT of man hours with all the electronics inside.

I literally spent weeks tracking down a parasitic draw on my TL. Turned out to be a faulty BT module! Darn thing still worked but was drawing 350 mA of power, even when the car was off. I hate to think what the dealer would have charged me to find that problem!
Old 02-17-15, 07:47 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just had this issue today. I haven't driven the GS much in the past few weeks because of the snow. I have driven the car but nothing too long. I went to go start my car and it wouldn't start like it was a dead battery. But what was weird was I got a message on the dash something about my parking break wasn't working. I tried again and nothing. The brake petal was depressed all the way in. What was weird was the check engine light and and BSM monitor light was on. Called my dealer and told them what happened. They said it had to be towed and to call the roadside assistance. So i did. Tow truck came and tried to start the car..no dice. He jumped started the car and everything was normal. Took it on a spirited drive on the L.I.E. and seems to be ok.
Old 02-18-15, 06:48 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by puckhead85
i just had this issue today. I haven't driven the GS much in the past few weeks because of the snow. I have driven the car but nothing too long. I went to go start my car and it wouldn't start like it was a dead battery. But what was weird was I got a message on the dash something about my parking break wasn't working. I tried again and nothing. The brake petal was depressed all the way in. What was weird was the check engine light and and BSM monitor light was on. Called my dealer and told them what happened. They said it had to be towed and to call the roadside assistance. So i did. Tow truck came and tried to start the car..no dice. He jumped started the car and everything was normal. Took it on a spirited drive on the L.I.E. and seems to be ok.
Curious, is your parking brake set to auto engage?
Old 02-18-15, 06:51 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would think it's a bad Panasonic battery problem or all GS350's would have dead battery issues and that's not the case.
Anyone ever have a problem after the new non OEM battery was installed?
Old 02-18-15, 08:36 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

FWIW I don't drive my car everyday. At most I drive every other day and my commute is like 10 miles tops. I park my GS outside and it has been below zero. I recently left the car idle in below zero temps for a week after we got a bad snow storm and it always started. Another time I went on vacation and left the car idle for 10 days and never had an issue,
Old 02-21-15, 12:07 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

My battery had a trouble starting as I only drive it 1-2 a week. Had the dealer do a battery load test and they replaced my battery under warranty.
Old 02-21-15, 08:34 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by faifai83
My battery had a trouble starting as I only drive it 1-2 a week. Had the dealer do a battery load test and they replaced my battery under warranty.
Yeah, Lexus is aware of the battery problem.

How old was your car when the dealer replaced your battery? Was the replacement battery a Panasonic or another brand...and did the battery have the Lexus name on it?
Old 02-21-15, 09:02 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Yeah, Lexus is aware of the battery problem.

How old was your car when the dealer replaced your battery? Was the replacement battery a Panasonic or another brand...and did the battery have the Lexus name on it?
The car was 2.5 yrs old car when the dealer replaced the battery.
The replacement battery was another brand.
The battery has the Lexus name on it.
Old 02-21-15, 09:08 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

The car was 2.5 yrs old car when the dealer replaced the battery.
The replacement battery was another brand.
The battery has the Lexus name on it.
Excellent! That is what I thought. I suspect the replacement battery is a Interstate Mega-Tron Plus MTP-24 Interstate battery, labeled with the Lexus brand name. It is an excellent battery...
Old 02-21-15, 09:13 AM
faifai83
Instructor

Excellent! That is what I thought. I suspect the replacement battery is a Interstate Mega-Tron Plus MTP-24 Interstate battery, labeled with the Lexus brand name. It is an excellent battery...
Why is it an excellent battery?
How does the CCA compare with the Panasonic?
How does the full replacement warranty compare with the Panasonic?
Old 02-21-15, 09:25 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Why is it an excellent battery?
How does the CCA compare with the Panasonic?
How does the full replacement warranty compare with the Panasonic?
OE Panasonic 20HR Battery:
Capacity 70Ah
Cca 580A

Interstate Mega-Tron Plus MTP-24 Battery:
Voltage: 12 volt
Cranking Capacity: 1000A
Specifications
Chemistry Conventional (Wet Cell)
Capacity 75Ah
Rating whr 900
Cca 800
Cellnum 6
Connector Automotive
Length 11 inches
Width 6.88 inches
Height 8.75 inches
Weight 44.40 lbs
Upc 721112765143
Warranty 72 Months Performance / 30 Months Free Replacement
Bci Group Size 24F

Last edited by bclexus; 02-21-15 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-21-15, 09:39 AM
faifai83
Instructor

OE Panasonic 20HR Battery:
Capacity 70Ah
Cca 508A

Interstate Mega-Tron Plus MTP-24 Battery:
Voltage: 12 volt
Cranking Capacity: 1000A
Specifications
Chemistry Conventional (Wet Cell)
Capacity 75Ah
Rating whr 900
Cca 800
Cellnum 6
Connector Automotive
Length 11 inches
Width 6.88 inches
Height 8.75 inches
Weight 44.40 lbs
Upc 721112765143
Warranty 72 Months Performance / 30 Months Free Replacement
Bci Group Size 24F
I show 575 CCA, 130 RC, 84 Mth Prorate

Isn't a $100 WalMart battery even better at 700CCA 36/60 warranty?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-...ttery/28275656
Attached Thumbnails Year old car, gone a week, dead battery-img_5184.jpg  
Old 02-21-15, 09:43 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I show 575 CCA, 130 RC, 84 Mth Prorate
My '13's stock battery looks nothing like that.Plain black top with a yellow sticker or two with Lexus and Toyota print.Even has some distributed by a company in Hawaii print.

Quick Reply: Year old car, gone a week, dead battery