GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Opting for side moldings

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-15, 11:22 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I would rather pay in advance for the "door ding" package than put side moldings on a GS.
Why not just deal with any door dings if, or when, they happen - instead of paying in advance for a door ding package. All those PDR people will be glad to handle your individual needs - you certainly don't have to go through the dealer to get it done. You may never even get a door ding - and if you do get a couple dings the price you'll pay without a package will be much less than what you paid for the package...unless you plan on getting a whole bunch of door dings!
Old 02-26-15, 12:11 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

In my case I was only interested in the wheel and tire pack but they included PDR and glass in it. I'm paying $5 a month for 48 months and I've already had my wheel repaired once ($75) and replaced a new front tire ($450). I can see it already paid itself off and there is no limit on the number of claims.
Old 02-26-15, 01:04 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
In my case I was only interested in the wheel and tire pack but they included PDR and glass in it. I'm paying $5 a month for 48 months and I've already had my wheel repaired once ($75) and replaced a new front tire ($450). I can see it already paid itself off and there is no limit on the number of claims.
Well, if the cost is only $240 ($5 per month) for a 4 years (48 months) protection plan that covers wheel damage, tire damage, glass damage and also door dings - then I don't blame you. I had no idea you could get such a protection plan from a Lexus dealer so cheap. My dealer certainly didn't offer me a plan anywhere even close to that low figure when I bought my car. I wish he had - because that is cheap insurance. I seem to recall a figure that was over four times what you are paying.
Old 02-26-15, 01:06 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
Well, if the cost is only $240 ($5 per month) for a 4 years (48 months) protection plan that covers wheel damage, tire damage, glass damage and also door dings - then I don't blame you. I had no idea you could get such a protection plan from a Lexus dealer so cheap. My dealer certainly didn't offer me a plan anywhere even close to that low figure when I bought my car. I wish he had - because that is cheap insurance. I seem to recall a figure that was over four times what you are paying.
Yes, even the finance manager said damn this is so cheap. and it's good for any Lexus dealer!!! Now who wouldn't want that?!
Old 02-26-15, 01:15 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, even the finance manager said damn this is so cheap. and it's good for any Lexus dealer!!! Now who wouldn't want that?!
Wonder why there is such a difference between what you were offered and ended up buying, and what other Lexus dealers offer? It seems the policy offered by Lexus dealerships would be from the same provider and the only difference would be for local and type of vehicle, and of course the coverage time period.
Old 02-26-15, 01:37 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Yea mine is offered by LFS/TFS themselves, not some aftermarket warranty company.
Old 02-26-15, 02:15 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Yea mine is offered by LFS/TFS themselves, not some aftermarket warranty company.
I paid cash for my car, but the package I was offered was also from LFS. The 'Basic' included the 'Tire & Wheel' coverage, 'Paintless Dent Repair' and 'Windshield Repair' (Platinum Plus Class 3-5 Year) for $995.00. I'm not sure what is meant by 3-5 years... And, I'm sure the price could have been negotiated down somewhat. But, $995.00 is not even remotely close to the $240.00 you paid, which appears to be for the same plan.
Old 02-26-15, 02:24 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

I paid cash for my car, but the package I was offered was also from LFS. The 'Basic' included the 'Tire & Wheel' coverage, 'Paintless Dent Repair' and 'Windshield Repair' (Platinum Plus Class 3-5 Year) for $995.00. I'm not sure what is meant by 3-5 years... And, I'm sure the price could have been negotiated down somewhat. But, $995.00 is not even remotely close to the $240.00 you paid, which appears to be for the same plan.
Yea I have that same Platinum Plus plan too.
Old 02-26-15, 02:31 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

But you got it for $240.00 for 4 years of protection, whereas it was priced to me (and others) for $995.00 for ? period of time.

Is the price per year, or per some designated period of time? If so, how is that determined? Can you explain what the '3-5 Years' actually means for the Platinum Plus plan?
Old 02-26-15, 02:45 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Well mine is good for the length of my lease period, which is 48 months.

My dad bought a warranty from America's Tire for his OEM Accord tires only for $120 I think and it's good for the life of the tires, but it covers tires only, no rim damage or PDR.
Old 02-26-15, 04:53 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I still don't understand...

Old 02-26-15, 05:18 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I did not purchase any such plan, but I may have seriously considered it at $240.00 for four years of coverage...even though I have a good history of not needing that type of protection coverage.

I don't plan on damaging my wheels, as I have an excellent history of not damaging my wheels with potholes or curb damage. But if I did damage a wheel I know where to go to get it repaired for a marginal cost. My automobile insurance will take care of glass damage. I always purchase the replacement tire plan when I buy new tires. And, I've only needed to use PDR two times, which cost me $50 one time, and the other time it took all of ten minutes and I was told no charge (but I tipped $20). I seem to be either covered, or not a good candidate for such a plan.
Old 02-26-15, 08:01 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

This is the first car out of the 5 cars I've had that needed a new tire and a wheel fix, all cause of the idiot car wash guy that drove my car straight into the rail. I've never purchased any wheel protection before but I'm glad I did this time.
Old 02-28-15, 06:53 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Why not just deal with any door dings if, or when, they happen - instead of paying in advance for a door ding package. All those PDR people will be glad to handle your individual needs - you certainly don't have to go through the dealer to get it done. You may never even get a door ding - and if you do get a couple dings the price you'll pay without a package will be much less than what you paid for the package...unless you plan on getting a whole bunch of door dings!
I had three dings removed in the 3 years I owned the car. I was planning on keeping the GS a lot longer, but the best laid plans...

It also applied to other cars (non-Lexus), but I never used it on the G37. If I had, it would have paid for itself.
Old 03-01-15, 06:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I too prefer to pay as I go for PDR. One of the main reasons is I have a very good PDR tech, and when I do get dings I tend to get them in weird places and its difficult PDR. I don't want to use some dealer hack.

Quick Reply: Opting for side moldings