GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Whats your favorite discovered feature?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-17, 05:33 PM
LPGSJoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I have to do is ask Siri on my iPhone 'Siri, where is my car?' and it shows its location in the 'Maps' app as well as the duration its has been parked. I find this very useful.
Old 11-01-17, 10:13 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by LPGSJoe
All I have to do is ask Siri on my iPhone 'Siri, where is my car?' and it shows its location in the 'Maps' app as well as the duration its has been parked. I find this very useful.
That's a function of your iPhone rather than the car.
Old 11-01-17, 10:24 AM
LPGSJoe
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by dchar
That's a function of your iPhone rather than the car.
Didn't have it on previous cars, and been using iPhone for a while. Either way, I find it useful. Thank you for enlightening me. Cheers!
Old 11-05-17, 10:15 PM
atr39
Driver School Candidate

Found out about the "winter mode" for the wipers and helped when it started snowing yesterday ��.
Old 11-21-17, 02:03 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

This is pretty basic, but... the first time I replaced my wipers I bought totally new ones from Auto Zone. Then I realized I could have just bought the inserts for the factory blades. Super cheap and very easy to replace! I just keep some extras on hand... much better than buying totally new blades every time at like $15+ a pop!
The following users liked this post:
psinsyd (01-25-18)
Old 11-21-17, 11:00 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by CottageChz
This is pretty basic, but... the first time I replaced my wipers I bought totally new ones from Auto Zone. Then I realized I could have just bought the inserts for the factory blades. Super cheap and very easy to replace! I just keep some extras on hand... much better than buying totally new blades every time at like $15+ a pop!
Where did you buy the inserts from?
Old 11-24-17, 02:50 AM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
Were you on Bluetooth streaming audio? The audio you heard may have been from your phone and not the GS.

[edit] I may actually have to try Enform now to test this. Been almost two years and I have yet to try Enform. LOL
That's most likely the case. If you have your volume turn on, on the phone, it'll speak through whatever BT audio available. Twas not the Enform.
Old 11-24-17, 11:28 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

This was a nice surprise because general consensus is that the GS suspension is only altered in Sport+ mode but I began to get suspicious that the suspension actually varies in each drive mode. Lexus doesn't mention on their website or in the manual what changes occur in each mode, only mentioning the changes that occur in Sport+.

We have a 2015 GS F-Sport with the Dynamic Handling System w/ Dynamic Rear Steering and a 2018 GS F-Sport without DHS and I was able to verify on both using a couple different frequency/vibration measuring apps that use raw accelerometer data that each drive mode does indeed alter the ride with Eco having the smoothest ride quality (albeit slightly floatier), Normal firming up a touch more, Sport a touch more on top of that, and finally with Sport+ showing the most significant increase/difference in ride stiffness. Super cool find!

Try it out yourself, if you find yourself on rough pavement, switch it into Eco mode and you should notice the ride instantly filter out all/most of the irregularities. One thing I will mention is that this car (referencing the 2018 specifically as the 2015 isn't my daily driver so I can't speak to it regarding this) seems to be quite sensitive in adapting to driver input. For example, in Eco mode, to get the smoothest overall qualities, I too had to be "Lexus style smooth" for it to react the same. Driving aggressively in Eco mode won't automatically give the smooth ride comfort I mentioned above. Very neat and very interesting car. Really loving it so far and enjoying figuring out all the things that "make it tick."
Old 11-24-17, 04:43 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Originally Posted by signdetres
This was a nice surprise because general consensus is that the GS suspension is only altered in Sport+ mode but I began to get suspicious that the suspension actually varies in each drive mode. Lexus doesn't mention on their website or in the manual what changes occur in each mode, only mentioning the changes that occur in Sport+.

We have a 2015 GS F-Sport with the Dynamic Handling System w/ Dynamic Rear Steering and a 2018 GS F-Sport without DHS and I was able to verify on both using a couple different frequency/vibration measuring apps that use raw accelerometer data that each drive mode does indeed alter the ride with Eco having the smoothest ride quality (albeit slightly floatier), Normal firming up a touch more, Sport a touch more on top of that, and finally with Sport+ showing the most significant increase/difference in ride stiffness. Super cool find!

Try it out yourself, if you find yourself on rough pavement, switch it into Eco mode and you should notice the ride instantly filter out all/most of the irregularities. One thing I will mention is that this car (referencing the 2018 specifically as the 2015 isn't my daily driver so I can't speak to it regarding this) seems to be quite sensitive in adapting to driver input. For example, in Eco mode, to get the smoothest overall qualities, I too had to be "Lexus style smooth" for it to react the same. Driving aggressively in Eco mode won't automatically give the smooth ride comfort I mentioned above. Very neat and very interesting car. Really loving it so far and enjoying figuring out all the things that "make it tick."
I wish I could identify any perceivable difference in suspension or steering response between the Eco, Normal and Sport modes in my 2016 GS (not F-Sport). The only difference I perceive is in throttle response and transmission shifting.
Old 11-24-17, 05:25 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by bb700092
I wish I could identify any perceivable difference in suspension or steering response between the Eco, Normal and Sport modes in my 2016 GS (not F-Sport). The only difference I perceive is in throttle response and transmission shifting.
When you go to Sport mode in your car the steering also will get a heavier feeling to it. The screen (to the right of the NAV) will display (highlight) what changes - in your case Sport mode changes the engine's throttle response, transmission shifting and steering (which all are highlighted on the screen). The suspension only changes in the F-Sport and Luxury packages in the Sport+ mode.
Old 11-24-17, 05:34 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bclexus
When you go to Sport mode in your car the steering also will get a heavier feeling to it. The screen (to the right of the NAV) will display (highlight) what changes - in your case Sport mode changes the engine's throttle response, transmission shifting and steering (which all are highlighted on the screen). The suspension only changes in the F-Sport and Luxury packages in the Sport+ mode.
I really do not perceive any change in the steering. I wish it got tighter/heavier than it does now in Sport mode as it is too light for my taste in any mode (I do not have Sport+).
Old 11-24-17, 05:38 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by signdetres

This video show what changes (see the highlighted engine, transmission suspension & steering) between Sport and Sport+ drive modes.

Old 11-24-17, 05:40 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I really do not perceive any change in the steering. I wish it got tighter/heavier than it does now in Sport mode as it is too light for my taste in any mode (I do not have Sport+).
The steering doesn't change too much, but there is a change in heaviness ... but no ratio change.

I realize you do not have Sport+. Neither do I...
Old 11-24-17, 05:48 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

HERE is the chart that shows what changes are made when changing the drive modes. See the 3rd page down, which is actually Page 9 in the pdf.
The following users liked this post:
raygun17 (01-27-18)
Old 11-28-17, 09:17 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Where did you buy the inserts from?
I usually buy all my parts from House of Lexus website. It was about $10 for a pair of the inserts... one side is about $4 and the other about $6.
The following 2 users liked this post by CottageChz:
OneFunGS (11-28-17), psinsyd (01-25-18)

Quick Reply: Whats your favorite discovered feature?