GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Whats your favorite discovered feature?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-18, 06:04 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLexi
Yeah. Also on the '14. Is it a Lexus thing and not just a GS thing? Likely so but can anyone confirm?
I suspect that it works on all the Toyota/Lexus pushbutton starts. It's been verified on the GS and the LS. Tonight I'll see if it works on my Highlander.
Old 08-16-18, 08:56 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I suspect that it works on all the Toyota/Lexus pushbutton starts. It's been verified on the GS and the LS. Tonight I'll see if it works on my Highlander.
I had an RX450hL loaner that I tried it out on and it also works on the hybrids. Instead of the engine turning on, the "READY" indicator lights up and you can begin driving.
The following 3 users liked this post by signdetres:
AlexDev (03-23-22), Im2bz2p345 (09-06-18), JDR76 (08-17-18)
Old 08-16-18, 01:01 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
I had an RX450hL loaner that I tried it out on and it also works on the hybrids. Instead of the engine turning on, the "READY" indicator lights up and you can begin driving.

Just got a 2018 Lexus RX350, tested and works.
The following users liked this post:
JDR76 (08-17-18)
Old 08-17-18, 04:44 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Another cool feature that i saw online; This can be activated and disabled from the keyfob without needing Tech-stream.

Default setting : When putting the hand on the drivers door, it only unlock that drivers door. But you can change this by simultaneously pressing and holding unlock and lock button on the key fob, till you hear three beeps; after this when you put your hands on the drivers door handle, all doors will unlock. Do the same routine to go back to default setting.

Very handy feature, when you have kids and friends riding with you. But when you are alone you can disable it to be safer. Works on Toyota & Lexus with a smart key fob.
kjDE (04-16-19)
Old 08-17-18, 08:22 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 540 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by john341
Another cool feature that i saw online; This can be activated and disabled from the keyfob without needing Tech-stream.

Default setting : When putting the hand on the drivers door, it only unlock that drivers door. But you can change this by simultaneously pressing and holding unlock and lock button on the key fob, till you hear three beeps; after this when you put your hands on the drivers door handle, all doors will unlock. Do the same routine to go back to default setting.

Very handy feature, when you have kids and friends riding with you. But when you are alone you can disable it to be safer. Works on Toyota & Lexus with a smart key fob.
Thanks for the tip! I've kept meaning to look up this procedure to do mine. Just did it now on mine and it worked.
Old 08-18-18, 07:00 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Thanks for the tip! I've kept meaning to look up this procedure to do mine. Just did it now on mine and it worked.
pretty sure this setting is also in the car personalized settings in the nav menu. At least on my 18 that’s how I changed it
Old 08-20-18, 04:52 PM
schack
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope this isn't a repeat. If you push the cruise control stalk up or down and release it, the set speed will increase/decrease in one mile per hour increments. Most everyone knew that, but if you push the cruise control stalk up or down and HOLD it, the set speed will increase/decrease in 5 mph increments. My LS 430 did the 5 mph increments but not both like my 2013 GS 450h does. I find this to be useful.
Im2bz2p345 (09-06-18)
Old 08-20-18, 05:17 PM
signdetres
Racer

Originally Posted by schack
Hope this isn't a repeat. If you push the cruise control stalk up or down and release it, the set speed will increase/decrease in one mile per hour increments. Most everyone knew that, but if you push the cruise control stalk up or down and HOLD it, the set speed will increase/decrease in 5 mph increments. My LS 430 did the 5 mph increments but not both like my 2013 GS 450h does. I find this to be useful.
What year GS? I've seen this posted here a few times now but in mine, pushing and holding still increases/decreases by single increments, just it does it continually so you don't have to click up a bunch of times. Standard cruise or adaptive cruise?
Old 08-20-18, 06:32 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,084 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Originally Posted by schack
What year GS? I've seen this posted here a few times now but in mine, pushing and holding still increases/decreases by single increments, just it does it continually so you don't have to click up a bunch of times. Standard cruise or adaptive cruise?
According to the Owners Manual only the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control [when in Vehicle-to-Vehicle Distance Control Mode] increases/decreases the set speed by approximately 5 mph for each 0.75 seconds the lever is held. Otherwise both the Standard Cruise Control as well as the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control [when in Constant Speed Control Mode] increases/decreases the set speed 'continually' until the lever is released, not by approximately 5 mph for each 0.75 seconds the lever is held.

With Standard Cruise Control the set speed will be increased or decreased as follows:
Fine adjustment: By approximately 1 mph each time the lever is operated.
Large adjustment: The set speed can be increased or decreased continually until the lever is released.

With Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (In the Vehicle-to-Vehicle Distance Control Mode) the set speed will be increased or decreased as follows:
Large adjustment: By approximately 5 mph for each 0.75 seconds the lever is held.

With Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (In the Constant Speed Control Mode) the set speed will be increased or decreased as follows:
Large adjustment: The set speed can be increased or decreased continually until the lever is released.

Last edited by bclexus; 08-20-18 at 06:38 PM.
Im2bz2p345 (09-06-18)
Old 08-22-18, 01:21 AM
rytmask
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Strange, mine is always +-5km/h. Euro car though.
Old 08-22-18, 12:49 PM
signdetres
Racer

Right, I understand what the manual says. That's not how mine operates though. While using the all-speed dynamic radar cruise control system in my car, pressing and holding to change the speed always increases continually. I never get the 5mph jump which is something I've noticed since day one.

My previous Infiniti with similar radar cruise operated how mine is apparently supposed to be acting where pressing and holding would give you 5mph incremental jumps. It was quite convenient and I used it regularly.

EDIT: On second thought, are you supposed to press and hold and then release after 0.75 seconds to get the 5mph increase/decrease?
Old 08-22-18, 04:04 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,084 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Right, I understand what the manual says. That's not how mine operates though. While using the all-speed dynamic radar cruise control system in my car, pressing and holding to change the speed always increases continually. I never get the 5mph jump which is something I've noticed since day one.

My previous Infiniti with similar radar cruise operated how mine is apparently supposed to be acting where pressing and holding would give you 5mph incremental jumps. It was quite convenient and I used it regularly.

EDIT: On second thought, are you supposed to press and hold and then release after 0.75 seconds to get the 5mph increase/decrease?
  • It is my understanding that a large adjustment for Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (ONLY when in the Vehicle-to-Vehicle Mode) is made by holding the lever, which increases/decreases the speed by approximately 5 mph for each 0.75 seconds the lever is held. Thus, if you hold the lever for 1.5 seconds the speed adjustment is approximately 10 mph. If held for 3.0 seconds the speed adjustment is approximately 20 mph, and so on, and do forth.
  • It is my understanding that a large adjustment for Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (ONLY when in the Constant Speed Control Mode) is made by holding the lever, which increases/decreases the speed 'continually' (at no specific amount of speed change) until the lever is released.
With Standard Cruise Control the set speed will be increased or decreased as follows:

With Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (In the Vehicle-to-Vehicle Distance Control Mode) the set speed will be increased or decreased as follows:
Large adjustment: By approximately 5 mph for each 0.75 seconds the lever is held.

With Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (In the Constant Speed Control Mode) the set speed will be increased or decreased as follows:
Large adjustment:
The set speed can be increased or decreased continually until the lever is released.

Last edited by bclexus; 08-22-18 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-22-18, 06:49 PM
Viru
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLexi
Yeah. Also on the '14. Is it a Lexus thing and not just a GS thing? Likely so but can anyone confirm?
Originally Posted by JDR76
Didn't work on my '07 IS unfortunately
Old 09-05-18, 05:56 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 264 Likes on 196 Posts

Car Rev matches in any drive mode if you are in M. I thought it was only in sport+ but just did it in eco by accident (3 to 2 at 45 mph) and throttle blipped and downshifted just as smoothly as it does in sport+.
Old 09-16-18, 07:01 AM
johealy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2013 GS. I found out it has remote start on the factory FOB. unlock. unlock. Hold unlock for 3 seconds.

Quick Reply: Whats your favorite discovered feature?