GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Whats your favorite discovered feature?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-18, 09:52 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Do you have to have XM to get the radar weather map? I still can't get the radar to show. It keeps saying no data try again later.
It should work I haven't had an issue. Here a few stills in action from my city Chicago weather last night.

Last edited by HontoKuro; 12-28-18 at 10:14 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-28-18, 10:48 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Doesn't work down here in central Illinois because there's no HD towers to recieve weather maps or 3D. So I'm SOL on getting theses features in my area.
Old 12-28-18, 11:09 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by charley95
Doesn't work down here in central Illinois because there's no HD towers to recieve weather maps or 3D. So I'm SOL on getting theses features in my area.
Time to move up to the city
Old 12-28-18, 12:54 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
Time to move up to the city :reckon:
Better yet I'll be moving out of this worst state in the nation in a few years. People are leaving in droves like California, enough is enough if ya know what I mean!
Old 01-17-19, 02:30 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Well I discovered that the end of the driver and passenger mirrors are warped to allow an even greater field of view. I realised after hiring a Mitsubishi with similarly sized mirrors, the poorer vision was noticed immediately.
Old 01-21-19, 12:41 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

I had completely forgotten about this feature from my ES. The headrest is adjustable forward and backward as well as up and down.
Old 01-21-19, 01:35 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchey
I had completely forgotten about this feature from my ES. The headrest is adjustable forward and backward as well as up and down.
Nice, I'm guessing yours isn't an Fsport? Mine are fixed, just up and down.
Old 01-21-19, 01:45 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
Nice, I'm guessing yours isn't an Fsport? Mine are fixed, just up and down.
2018 F Sport.
Old 01-21-19, 06:21 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Not newly discovered, but I just remembered how much I disliked selecting from the menu by pressing the Remote Touch **** in my 2015. In the 18, I use these buttons ALL THE TIME...! Makes operating the infotainment system 1,000X better.

Last edited by chinee; 01-21-19 at 07:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (01-22-19)
Old 01-21-19, 07:07 PM
charley95
Pole Position

I agree with ya on that. I always miss half the time on my 14 RX.
Old 01-21-19, 09:16 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chinee
Not newly discovered, but I just remembered how much I disliked selecting from the menu by pressing the Remote Touch **** in my 2015. In the 18, I use these buttons ALL THE TIME...! Makes operating the infotainment system 1,000X better.
That's like saying you are the worlds tallest midget. Fact is it's a terrible infotainment system and there is no getting around that. This is Lexus one of if not weakest points of these vehicles. I think you are exaggerating that is 1,000x better more like 1 less click better.
Old 01-21-19, 09:28 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

That's like saying you are the worlds tallest midget. Fact is it's a terrible infotainment system and there is no getting around that. This is Lexus one of if not weakest points of these vehicles. I think you are exaggerating that is 1,000x better more like 1 less click better.
be thankful we have the joystick instead of the mouse pad. I don't mind it cause its 1:1 with the screen but the mouse pad isnt so its horrible to use. would a dial have worked much better? hell yea but they just had to set themselves apart. whats sad is toyota's best infotainment system is gonna be in the new supra and thats only cause its bmw's
Old 01-22-19, 09:35 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

It's not an exaggeration. Those minor change that makes a world of difference in day-to-day use.

This is like those folks who complain about not having an A/C button and having to do so using the mousepad. While I disagree with the need for an A/C button, this is not about that & it's a perfect example that will resonate with many who think the A/C button would be simpler, easier, far less time consuming, and can be done with 100% accuracy every time with no need to take your eyes off the road... especially as something used multiples times daily (more so than an A/C button, IMO). It adds up during the course of ownership.

I completely agree with you, @charley95 That's a very honorable mention that goes very unnoticed.

To further drive the nail a little deeper, I don't mind Lexus' Enform system with the mousepad at all. I actually kind of like it, in fact. And yes, I've used recent iDrive systems, MB COMAND, Infiniti InTouch, etc. I like what we've got, at least in the 2018 system. I do think the system in our 2015 is pretty unpleasing to the eye more than anything and not being able to use the map full-screen is a bummer.

Last edited by signdetres; 01-22-19 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-22-19, 11:50 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by signdetres
It's not an exaggeration. Those minor change that makes a world of difference in day-to-day use.

This is like those folks who complain about not having an A/C button and having to do so using the mousepad. While I disagree with the need for an A/C button, this is not about that & it's a perfect example that will resonate with many who think the A/C button would be simpler, easier, far less time consuming, and can be done with 100% accuracy every time with no need to take your eyes off the road... especially as something used multiples times daily (more so than an A/C button, IMO). It adds up during the course of ownership.

I completely agree with you, @charley95 That's a very honorable mention that goes very unnoticed.

To further drive the nail a little deeper, I don't mind Lexus' Enform system with the mousepad at all. I actually kind of like it, in fact. And yes, I've used recent iDrive systems, MB COMAND, Infiniti InTouch, etc. I like what we've got, at least in the 2018 system. I do think the system in our 2015 is pretty unpleasing to the eye more than anything and not being able to use the map full-screen is a bummer.
It's bad dude. I know we fall in love with our cars so can see why such fanboy love but I've driven many 2017/2018 GS Loaners and is still a terrible system and adding an "enter" button doesn't help with that stupid mouse curser/pad interface, the slow GUI, the lag is bad, the overshoot of any button is annoying, the GPS Navigation is horrible and almost not usable as half the time it provides worst directions and the worst integration of any infotainment system out there today. Period. If you love it great for you but let's not pretend it's great. About the only positive thing about this system is the big, bright and crisp display but that only amplifies the terrible interface and usage and often feels like I am trying to operate Windows 95 on here.
Old 01-22-19, 01:02 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

It's bad dude. I know we fall in love with our cars so can see why such fanboy love but I've driven many 2017/2018 GS Loaners and is still a terrible system and adding an "enter" button doesn't help with that stupid mouse curser/pad interface, the slow GUI, the lag is bad, the overshoot of any button is annoying, the GPS Navigation is horrible and almost not usable as half the time it provides worst directions and the worst integration of any infotainment system out there today. Period. If you love it great for you but let's not pretend it's great. About the only positive thing about this system is the big, bright and crisp display but that only amplifies the terrible interface and usage and often feels like I am trying to operate Windows 95 on here.
Simply, our experiences don't match up. I enjoy using the navigation all the time and I find the directions it gives me to be quite good and efficient. I've stopped having to use Google Maps or Waze on my phone. It reroutes automatically around traffic without prompting for permission like on our 2015 and does a great job at getting me through LA traffic where/when possible. It's taken me many different routes when going from one destination to the another, similarly to how Waze does it, depending on the time and day that I use it.

Other than that, I listen to Bluetooth Audio streamed from my phone, which is kept in my pocket or on the passenger seat. All I ever really need it to do is play music and be able to raise and lower the volume, and skip tracks forward and back, which I can easily do with the steering wheel, the physical controls where the radio controls are, or the mousepad. I'm a millennial with every tech gadget you could possibly imagine surrounding me 24/7 but when I'm driving, my focus is purely on driving.

For those of you that complain about how awful the infotainment system is, I'd love to know what exactly you need or expect these to do when your #1 focus should be on the road, especially those of you with 2016 and older GS models that were not readily available with any of the safety avoidance tech. Between the way I listen to audio & keep my climate control on fully automatic mode, I rarely ever need to take my eyes off the road, the only times would be to adjust the cabin temperature or turn on my heated and cooled seats (if they're also not on automatic mode). I never have to do much through the infotainment system, which is probably why I like it so much. It stays out of my way, in the background, as it should be and how I prefer it, leaving me to focus solely on my surroundings and the road in front of me. I recommend you try the same. Do you just get bored while driving and need something to fiddle with? I don't understand your point of view, which you're entitled to, but I'm glad I don't.
The following users liked this post:
GolfnCPA (03-21-19)

Quick Reply: Whats your favorite discovered feature?