GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Whats your favorite discovered feature?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-19, 01:33 PM
eddie420

Received 631 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
It's bad dude. I know we fall in love with our cars so can see why such fanboy love but I've driven many 2017/2018 GS Loaners and is still a terrible system and adding an "enter" button doesn't help with that stupid mouse curser/pad interface, the slow GUI, the lag is bad, the overshoot of any button is annoying, the GPS Navigation is horrible and almost not usable as half the time it provides worst directions and the worst integration of any infotainment system out there today. Period. If you love it great for you but let's not pretend it's great. About the only positive thing about this system is the big, bright and crisp display but that only amplifies the terrible interface and usage and often feels like I am trying to operate Windows 95 on here.
signdetres is telling you his relative experience between the two interfaces (with and without the buttons), not whether the entertainment system does not need improvement.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (01-22-19)
Old 01-22-19, 02:10 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 940 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
It's not an exaggeration. Those minor change that makes a world of difference in day-to-day use.

This is like those folks who complain about not having an A/C button and having to do so using the mousepad. While I disagree with the need for an A/C button, this is not about that & it's a perfect example that will resonate with many who think the A/C button would be simpler, easier, far less time consuming, and can be done with 100% accuracy every time with no need to take your eyes off the road... especially as something used multiples times daily (more so than an A/C button, IMO). It adds up during the course of ownership.

I completely agree with you, @charley95 That's a very honorable mention that goes very unnoticed.

To further drive the nail a little deeper, I don't mind Lexus' Enform system with the mousepad at all. I actually kind of like it, in fact. And yes, I've used recent iDrive systems, MB COMAND, Infiniti InTouch, etc. I like what we've got, at least in the 2018 system. I do think the system in our 2015 is pretty unpleasing to the eye more than anything and not being able to use the map full-screen is a bummer.
Originally Posted by HontoKuro
It's bad dude. I know we fall in love with our cars so can see why such fanboy love but I've driven many 2017/2018 GS Loaners and is still a terrible system and adding an "enter" button doesn't help with that stupid mouse curser/pad interface, the slow GUI, the lag is bad, the overshoot of any button is annoying, the GPS Navigation is horrible and almost not usable as half the time it provides worst directions and the worst integration of any infotainment system out there today. Period. If you love it great for you but let's not pretend it's great. About the only positive thing about this system is the big, bright and crisp display but that only amplifies the terrible interface and usage and often feels like I am trying to operate Windows 95 on here.
I love this forum! It’s the perfect 15 minute mid afternoon break I needed today, and I can have it with a laugh too!

You both are 100% correct, it’s a “bad” (more like old) infotainment system, but those “enter” and “back” buttons make it MUCH LESS frustrating to use. Most of us chose to live with this “flawed” system because the GS shines in so many other areas. In my 15 I just about gave up on using that remote touch while driving because my efforts almost always resulted in a mis-press. Now, it’s actually usable with little error.

signdetres (01-22-19)
Old 01-23-19, 01:29 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 266 Posts

Gosh, remember when we had cars that didn't even have screens? What on earth did we do?

Yes the system is bad and annoying to use, but what are you all so constantly using this system for that it interrupts your ability to enjoy the car to such a great degree?

I use the damn thing to pick a radio station and check my fuel consumption. Occasionally I'll take or make a phone call and even that can be done with the steering wheel and voice. Literally, that's it. All necessary HVAC controlling can be done via buttons (no, you really don't need an A/C OFF button. If you really, really feel the need to have it, keep your right side screen on the HVAC control and you can turn it on/off pretty easily with the remote touch).

Navigation interfaces in these vehicles will always be behind the times of the cell phone apps, so until there is android auto/apple carplay offered you'll be better off directly using your phone anyway if you don't like the way the system handles it for you.

What else are you doing with this system while driving? Suggest you all stop fiddling with infotainment while driving and instead pay attention to the terrible drivers out there who don't have a car like yours and use their cell phones outright while driving. It just might be the difference between driving your Lexus everyday or driving a sonata rental while your bumper and fenders are repaired.

Last edited by np20412; 01-23-19 at 01:45 PM.
signdetres (01-23-19)
Old 01-23-19, 01:40 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

I actually enjoy using the remote touch and I have the original 2012 system without the newer remote and extra buttons. It's generally very accurate and beats leaning forward to operate a screen.
Old 01-24-19, 04:45 PM
waygreen
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

^-- I don't mind it either...but I rarely use it since I drive around with the screen turned off--the "screen off" feature being my favorite discovered feature.
Old 01-25-19, 07:16 AM
donkiboy
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
Gosh, remember when we had cars that didn't even have screens? What on earth did we do?

Yes the system is bad and annoying to use, but what are you all so constantly using this system for that it interrupts your ability to enjoy the car to such a great degree?

I use the damn thing to pick a radio station and check my fuel consumption. Occasionally I'll take or make a phone call and even that can be done with the steering wheel and voice. Literally, that's it. All necessary HVAC controlling can be done via buttons (no, you really don't need an A/C OFF button. If you really, really feel the need to have it, keep your right side screen on the HVAC control and you can turn it on/off pretty easily with the remote touch).

Navigation interfaces in these vehicles will always be behind the times of the cell phone apps, so until there is android auto/apple carplay offered you'll be better off directly using your phone anyway if you don't like the way the system handles it for you.

What else are you doing with this system while driving? Suggest you all stop fiddling with infotainment while driving and instead pay attention to the terrible drivers out there who don't have a car like yours and use their cell phones outright while driving. It just might be the difference between driving your Lexus everyday or driving a sonata rental while your bumper and fenders are repaired.
I find the lack of AC on/off button annoying as I prefer to not to have it on full auto. Is it me or does the front defroster button needs to be pressed multiple times to toggle off?
I realized that just pressing the main HVAC off button doesn't turn off front defroster.
Old 01-25-19, 07:27 PM
eddie420

Received 631 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by donkiboy
I find the lack of AC on/off button annoying as I prefer to not to have it on full auto. Is it me or does the front defroster button needs to be pressed multiple times to toggle off?
I realized that just pressing the main HVAC off button doesn't turn off front defroster.
I think that's normal. Doesn't make sense to me. If I have it on, and then I press the off button, the light stays on. I have to turn on the heat, then press the defrost off, then turn off. So weird.
Old 02-03-19, 09:04 AM
SilverF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2015 F Sport and I recently found out that you can change how long the temporary turn signal stays on. I changed mine from 3 to 5.
Old 02-05-19, 08:12 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

One of my favorite subtle features on the 15 GS was the little swing down hook in the trunk, near the light, for hooking grocery bags onto. I used it all of the time. I'm surprised and disappointed to find that feature missing from my 19 GS.
Chaos236 (02-11-19)
Old 02-05-19, 08:48 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 546 Likes on 397 Posts

That's odd, my 18 RWD has it.
Antwon2014 (04-10-20)
Old 02-05-19, 09:14 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

That's the one, Charley! Completely missing from my 19!
Old 02-05-19, 09:52 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
One of my favorite subtle features on the 15 GS was the little swing down hook in the trunk, near the light, for hooking grocery bags onto. I used it all of the time. I'm surprised and disappointed to find that feature missing from my 19 GS.
Dude, I know you like your GS, buy why are you talkin' up a grocery getter?
Old 02-05-19, 10:33 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bclexus
Dude, I know you like your GS, buy why are you talkin' up a grocery getter?
Would you accept "beer getter"? Can't have the brew sliding around in trunk. I mean, that would be irresponsible.
Old 02-05-19, 11:05 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Would you accept "beer getter"? Can't have the brew sliding around in trunk. I mean, that would be irresponsible.

Old 02-06-19, 01:15 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 266 Posts

1.5 years later and I'm still learning stuff about this car. This solves my problem for when I fill the cargo net full and don't have anywhere else to put the last couple bags securely. Thanks!!!
JDR76 (02-06-19)

Quick Reply: Whats your favorite discovered feature?