GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Whats your favorite discovered feature?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-19, 03:52 PM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I did not see any mention or reference that the transmission has any ability whatsoever to 'learn' or to 'relearn' anything, based on previous driving characteristics or not, at any time - short-term or long-term. Obviously the transmission has very sophisticated controls inherently built into the transmission and the ECU which controls its performance and operation based on the driver's input. But, I do not believe the transmission's future operation or performance can change or is meant to change by driver influence relevant to how the car has previously been driven. In other words, I do not think the transmission or its ECU has the ability to learn or relearn anything from how the driver drives the car or how the driver makes the transmission shift.
Some non manual cars have had "learning" capabilities for 15 years. ie 2002 and later Porsche Turbo tiptronics
The following 2 users liked this post by Chaos236:
Im2bz2p345 (12-11-19), signdetres (12-11-19)
Old 12-10-19, 04:08 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos236
Some non manual cars have had "learning" capabilities for 15 years. ie 2002 and later Porsche Turbo tiptronics
I presume you specifically mean automatic transmissions, not 'cars' in general (as-in a car's ECU) since the discussion was pertaining to whether Lexus' transmissions have learning capabilities. To my knowledge Toyota/Lexus automatic transmissions do not have learning capabilities... Wonderful for Porsche with their Tiptronic transmission...
Old 12-11-19, 10:58 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bob256k
Pretty much every modern transmission has some "learning" capability to adapt the car's shifting to how its driven; it isn't just valve-bodies anymore.

and this isn't even touching how the ECU and TCU interact, and what learning capability is built in between those two devices, let alone all the rest of the computers built in the car.
I did not see any mention or reference that the transmission has any ability whatsoever to 'learn' or to 'relearn' anything, based on previous driving characteristics or not, at any time - short-term or long-term. Obviously the transmission has very sophisticated controls inherently built into the transmission and the ECU which controls its performance and operation based on the driver's input. But, I do not believe the transmission's future operation or performance can change or is meant to change by driver influence relevant to how the car has previously been driven. In other words, I do not think the transmission or its ECU has the ability to learn or relearn anything from how the driver drives the car or how the driver makes the transmission shift.
Here is a good write up on the "learning" in the Tacoma (similar logic that toyota is using in all their new vehicles)

https://www.ovtuned.com/blogs/news/h...-are-fixing-it

I purchased his tune for my tacoma, and the difference in night and day. He has deleted all the different maps so it drives much more consistently.
The following 2 users liked this post by GregCanada:
Im2bz2p345 (12-11-19), signdetres (12-11-19)
Old 12-11-19, 01:37 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GregCanada
Here is a good write up on the "learning" in the Tacoma (similar logic that toyota is using in all their new vehicles)

https://www.ovtuned.com/blogs/news/h...-are-fixing-it

I purchased his tune for my tacoma, and the difference in night and day. He has deleted all the different maps so it drives much more consistently.
I'll admit I did not read the entire article, but (please correct me if I'm wrong) the 3rd Gen Tacoma transmission "selects gears based on various predetermined gear limits, torque calculations, and variables from the engine which help to select through the shift routine and actually create a 'shift' event." It appears the shift characteristics of this 3rd Gen Tacoma transmission are purely made by various limits, calculations and variables 'from the engine', not learned data based on how the driver has operated the vehicle with specific regard to the transmission.

I did not see any mention or reference that this 3rd Gen Tacoma transmission has any ability to 'learn' or to 'relearn' anything based on driving/shifting characteristics, which was my assertion concerning the transmission in the GS 350.

Last edited by bclexus; 12-11-19 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-14-19, 09:32 AM
Reimers66
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Today i discovered follow me home lights. They work little bit different than in german cars.

1) Turn OFF engine
2) bull high beam switch one time
3) Close doors and the ligts will stay on 30s by default (that can be change 30, 60 to 90s)

I also changed these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wECS...0#action=share
The following users liked this post:
Antwon2014 (04-10-20)
Old 12-15-19, 08:21 AM
g350cheaha
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So many features, but the "full throttle mode" is the winner for me. Without exception, each start up begins with pedal press to the floor and then ignition
I can't see driving without it. Thanks for the suggestions early on in this thread.
The following users liked this post:
AlexDev (03-19-22)
Old 12-15-19, 03:05 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by g350cheaha
So many features, but the "full throttle mode" is the winner for me. Without exception, each start up begins with pedal press to the floor and then ignition
I can't see driving without it. Thanks for the suggestions early on in this thread.
Can you explain further?
Old 12-15-19, 07:29 PM
g350cheaha
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by signdetres
Can you explain further?
Full throttle mode is basically a small tactile detent in the gas pedal. To access it you would need to step on the gas pedal all the way to the floor. And right when you think it has reached its full travel you have to apply more pressure and go past that detent. You will feel the detent.
It is also known as the kickdown switch. Check this thread for many references. Enjoy safe driving.
Old 12-15-19, 07:30 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Full throttle mode is basically a small tactile detent in the gas pedal. To access it you would need to step on the gas pedal all the way to the floor. And right when you think it has reached its full travel you have to apply more pressure and go past that detent. You will feel the detent.
It is also known as the kickdown switch. Check this thread for many references. Enjoy safe driving.
Yeah I got that part... Can you explain the part where you said:

Without exception, each start up begins with pedal press to the floor and then ignition
This is the part I'm not following...
Old 12-15-19, 10:32 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Yeah I got that part... Can you explain the part where you said:

This is the part I'm not following...
Yeah, me too. Makes no sense
Old 12-16-19, 07:48 AM
g350cheaha
Driver School Candidate

Before I start my car. I press the gas pedal to the floor until I feel the detent, I drive a 2016 GS. It does not work on our 2013 GS.
Old 12-16-19, 09:12 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Before I start my car. I press the gas pedal to the floor until I feel the detent, I drive a 2016 GS. It does not work on our 2013 GS.
Why do you do that?
Old 12-16-19, 10:30 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Yes, I’m curious too, why?
Old 12-16-19, 10:58 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chinee
Yes, I’m curious too, why?
That is what was required years ago with carburetors. When cold starting the engine you pressed the gas pedal all the way to the floor to squirt some fuel into the intake manifold, and also increase the idle rpm speed and 'set' the choke so the engine would run rich until it warmed up a little. Otherwise, the engine would conk-out or stumble and run rough. Fuel injection changed all that...
Old 12-16-19, 12:21 PM
maclem8223
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

That is what was required years ago with carburetors. When cold starting the engine you pressed the gas pedal all the way to the floor to squirt some fuel into the intake manifold, and also increase the idle rpm speed and 'set' the choke so the engine would run rich until it warmed up a little. Otherwise, the engine would conk-out or stumble and run rough. Fuel injection changed all that...
Old habits die hard

Quick Reply: Whats your favorite discovered feature?