GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Whats your favorite discovered feature?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-20, 03:25 PM
dkp993
Rookie

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

I’m new to the 4GS world, have only had my 450h about a week. But to my butt the eco mode feels softer. In fact now anytime I’m on the freeway I switch to it. Now whether it’s a placebo effect or not I have no clue but either way it feels more comfortable so it’s what I’ll continue to do.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (08-26-20)
Old 08-26-20, 05:51 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

@wiltony @JDR76

Every so often I disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for ~10 minutes to reset the driving adaptations. After reconnecting it and going for the first drive, VGRS is disabled for the first minute of driving or so and the difference in steering is extreme until it kicks back in. Very very very different feel and response while it's resetting... requires A LOT more steering to go from lock-to-lock. It feels very strange. If either of you wanted to do the battery disconnect, I have no doubts you'd feel what I'm talking about. If you don't notice anything during the first minute and don't notice when it goes back to normal, it's likely there's no VGRS. Would love to get to the bottom of this... yet another GS mystery to solve lol.
Old 08-26-20, 07:22 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts

I learned that if you do not want to switch to manual mode but want to pass a car next to you and are stopped, click the - paddle while stopped within a few seconds of taking off and hold the gas firm. The car will hold first gear like you were in manual mode but the gear indicator will only show D. Afterwards it will shift like normal. Great for getting the car to actually move like it should without having to drop into manual mode and back out
Old 08-27-20, 06:33 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by bob256k
I learned that if you do not want to switch to manual mode but want to pass a car next to you and are stopped, click the - paddle while stopped within a few seconds of taking off and hold the gas firm. The car will hold first gear like you were in manual mode but the gear indicator will only show D. Afterwards it will shift like normal. Great for getting the car to actually move like it should without having to drop into manual mode and back out
Wouldn't simply putting a deep dive on the gas achieve the same effect?

Edit I just did this and couldn't get it to work as described. If I press downshift paddle AFTER removing my foot form the brake then shows D1 and functions as you indicated.

Last edited by np20412; 08-27-20 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-27-20, 01:36 PM
teigen
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
@wiltony @JDR76

... yet another GS mystery to solve lol.
Not to add any fuel to a fire, but to help try to solve the mystery...I believe this discussion in another active thread might help:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-4th-gen-2013-present/806968-eco-vs-normal-mode.html

all food for thought.
Old 08-27-20, 02:01 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
Wouldn't simply putting a deep dive on the gas achieve the same effect?

Edit I just did this and couldn't get it to work as described. If I press downshift paddle AFTER removing my foot form the brake then shows D1 and functions as you indicated.
Maybe they were mistaken about not showing the gear but I remember reading in the manual that when you use either paddle in D it effectively puts it in M mode for a certain amount of time and will turn off if you don't use either paddle for a certain amount of time.
The following users liked this post:
bob256k (08-27-20)
Old 08-27-20, 02:42 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by thallium
Maybe they were mistaken about not showing the gear but I remember reading in the manual that when you use either paddle in D it effectively puts it in M mode for a certain amount of time and will turn off if you don't use either paddle for a certain amount of time.
Yup. It also shifts back to D instantly if you pull and hold the paddle or 2 seconds instead of just waiting it out. The quicker you return to normal driving and the car believes you're done with "gear on command," the quicker it will revert to normal D on its own.

the other difference between D1, D2, etc. and M1, M2, etc. is that there is NO rev matching when downshifting in D, but always rev matching when downshifting in M.
Old 08-27-20, 06:07 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Ill shoot a video but when I do it to my '15 GS350 Fsport it does not show D1, only D, but this is ONLY from a full stop in "D" mode.

My order of operations to get this is :

1. car is stopped.
2. Click "-" paddle on left
3. Give it gas, you do not have to hit the kick down switch but you do have to give it firm pressure, a stab and hold it there
4. Car revs like it was in "M" mode up to redline of first gear then shifts to second, if you lift off here it will go back like if it was in "D" mode

Last edited by bob256k; 08-27-20 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-10-20, 06:19 PM
WNYX
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I feel stupid for posting these two, but I just discovered two features earlier today, and I didn't know my 2017 GS 350 F Sport had them:

1. Thigh extensions. A deep crease appeared on my right bolster overnight (I don't understand where it came from. It wasn't there yesterday; it looks like someone folded my bolster in half), so I was sitting in my car, randomly pressing buttons with my left hand to make some adjustments when the thigh extension popped up. It caught me completely off guard because I thought only the Luxury Package had them. I hadn't pressed any of the other buttons before because I'm used to only adjusting my seats forwards/backwards and the back at different angles.
2. Remote start. I showed my dad how to remote start his 2019 RX this afternoon, but didn't even consider checking mine since my GS is older. But after work, I decided to give it a try and, to my surprise, it actually worked.
Old 09-10-20, 06:26 PM
GS350yep
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WNYX
I feel stupid for posting these two, but I just discovered two features earlier today, and I didn't know my 2017 GS 350 F Sport had them:

1. Thigh extensions. A deep crease appeared on my right bolster overnight (I don't understand where it came from. It wasn't there yesterday; it looks like someone folded my bolster in half), so I was sitting in my car, randomly pressing buttons with my left hand to make some adjustments when the thigh extension popped up. It caught me completely off guard because I thought only the Luxury Package had them. I hadn't pressed any of the other buttons before because I'm used to only adjusting my seats forwards/backwards and the back at different angles.
2. Remote start. I showed my dad how to remote start his 2019 RX this afternoon, but didn't even consider checking mine since my GS is older. But after work, I decided to give it a try and, to my surprise, it actually worked.
Interesting what is this thigh extension thing? I wonder if the non F sports GS 350 2017 has it?
Also I thought remote start was a subscription only feature? I guess you are paying the monthly fee?
Old 09-10-20, 06:54 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

The seat cushion extender is awesome. I have it in my GS and my Highlander.

On the GS, it’s only included on F Sport and Luxury models. Lux models get it on the front passenger seat as well.
Old 09-10-20, 06:54 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Tonight I discovered that the HUD position is also tied to the memory seats position. I had no idea.
Old 09-10-20, 06:55 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Yeah the thigh extender is a game changer in seat comfort. It's one reason why we fight over who drives 😂 the passenger seat needs one
Old 09-11-20, 07:30 AM
WNYX
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350yep
Interesting what is this thigh extension thing? I wonder if the non F sports GS 350 2017 has it?
Also I thought remote start was a subscription only feature? I guess you are paying the monthly fee?
When a button is pressed, the front of the seat lifts (or extends) kind of like a La-Z-Boy.
Also, I was not aware that the remote start was a subscription only feature. Maybe it's complimentary for a year. I purchased the vehicle August 2020, and my dad purchased his RX in November 2019, so I think you might be right.
Old 09-11-20, 12:47 PM
GS350yep
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes apparently my GS350 2017 model does not have this. It's not F sport but I assumed it was the luxury package since it has all the technology bells and whistles as far as "dynamic cruise control, parking assist" etc.

Quick Reply: Whats your favorite discovered feature?