GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Whats your favorite discovered feature?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-20, 07:06 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Pretty cool that the car will read out txt messages to you.. works actually pretty good.
Old 09-13-20, 11:12 PM
ViperTim
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by CAKETOWN
Pretty cool that the car will read out txt messages to you.. works actually pretty good.
Not in Swedish
Old 09-14-20, 09:06 AM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ViperTim
Not in Swedish
The car will help you understand english. haha
Old 09-21-20, 10:35 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
@wiltony @JDR76

Every so often I disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for ~10 minutes to reset the driving adaptations. After reconnecting it and going for the first drive, VGRS is disabled for the first minute of driving or so and the difference in steering is extreme until it kicks back in. Very very very different feel and response while it's resetting... requires A LOT more steering to go from lock-to-lock. It feels very strange. If either of you wanted to do the battery disconnect, I have no doubts you'd feel what I'm talking about. If you don't notice anything during the first minute and don't notice when it goes back to normal, it's likely there's no VGRS. Would love to get to the bottom of this... yet another GS mystery to solve lol.
I still haven't tried this, but I will.

In the mean time, I noticed that VGRS is again called out on the sticker of my 2020 AWD GS. Here are the stickers for my 15, 19, and 20. Notice that it's not listed on the 15, but it is listed on the 19 and the 20.

Old 09-21-20, 10:46 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

The '15 has it, I bet it ones of those things Lexus designed in but didn't make a big deal about telling the customer about, and now they realize it is worth making some noise about to the customer.
Old 09-21-20, 10:51 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bob256k
The '15 has it, I bet it ones of those things Lexus designed in but didn't make a big deal about telling the customer about, and now they realize it is worth making some noise about to the customer.
I'm not so sure. They have made it a point to state that the AWD models do not have VGRS, so I'm not sure why they did that, but included it anyway. I am thinking they added it to the AWD F Sport models with the 2016 refresh. Not certain, though.
Old 09-21-20, 10:52 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'm not so sure. They have made it a point to state that the AWD models do not have VGRS, so I'm not sure why they did that, but included it anyway. I am thinking they added it to the AWD F Sport models with the 2016 refresh. Not certain, though.
It could be lacking from the AWD, I have a '15 RWD so I can't say that VGRS is in the AWD.
Old 09-23-20, 06:50 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 499 Likes on 267 Posts

I still haven't tried this, but I will.

In the mean time, I noticed that VGRS is again called out on the sticker of my 2020 AWD GS. Here are the stickers for my 15, 19, and 20. Notice that it's not listed on the 15, but it is listed on the 19 and the 20.
I ran back through the '15 through '20 Brochures and every brochure calls out that VGRS is RWD. I found a press release for the '18 MY and it too showed VGRS on RWD.....

Thinking ok - the Lexus VIN lookup is great about showing what a car really has - lets see what the VIN shows on there and sure enough your 2019 VIN shows:

So....I looked up my 2016 AWD VIN......and it shows the same thing.....

So I looked up your 2015 VIN....and it shows different....no VGRS....

All three clearly show AWD and 6AT so it's very clear it's an AWD. So weird....... Other that the battery reset method is there anything to look for under the hood? I'm not sure I understand why VGRS would be RWD only from a mechanical point of view. If it were combined with the rear steering and that was part of it that could explain it...

I found a video of a VGRS light on the dash that could blink if there was a problem....went and looked at the car - didn't see a VGRS light. Cracked open the manual - found two references to VGRS - one on page 309, one on page 472. Looks like these cars don't have a light - if there's a problem with VGRS it shows a warning message in the driver information center. The manual says "If Equipped " but doesn't call out what models.

Hmmmm.....this is a good mystery.....

Last edited by LexusGSboy; 09-23-20 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-23-20, 07:25 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
I ran back through the '15 through '20 Brochures and every brochure calls out that VGRS is RWD. I found a press release for the '18 MY and it too showed VGRS on RWD.....

Thinking ok - the Lexus VIN lookup is great about showing what a car really has - lets see what the VIN shows on there and sure enough your 2019 VIN shows:

So....I looked up my 2016 AWD VIN......and it shows the same thing.....

So I looked up your 2015 VIN....and it shows different....no VGRS....

All three clearly show AWD and 6AT so it's very clear it's an AWD. So weird....... Other that the battery reset method is there anything to look for under the hood? I'm not sure I understand why VGRS would be RWD only from a mechanical point of view. If it were combined with the rear steering and that was part of it that could explain it...

I found a video of a VGRS light on the dash that could blink if there was a problem....went and looked at the car - didn't see a VGRS light. Cracked open the manual - found two references to VGRS - one on page 309, one on page 472. Looks like these cars don't have a light - if there's a problem with VGRS it shows a warning message in the driver information center. The manual says "If Equipped " but doesn't call out what models.

Hmmmm.....this is a good mystery.....
And both my 19 and 20 have a fuse under hood for VGRS.
Old 09-24-20, 10:03 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Huh..,.. you're right; VGRS is not listed for my car under my Lexus drivers account. I do know the steering feel changes in different modes and even if I'm driving in parking lot vs on the freeway. I don't know ,I'll have to go drive a newer car and feel the difference. Maybe they just didn't list it?

My car is weird though as it's a late '15 make.
Old 09-24-20, 10:15 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Huh..,.. you're right; VGRS is not listed for my car under my Lexus drivers account. I do know the steering feel changes in different modes and even if I'm driving in parking lot vs on the freeway. I don't know ,I'll have to go drive a newer car and feel the difference. Maybe they just didn't list it?

My understanding is that VGRS was standard on RWD F Sports but not any other versions of the car, though as mentioned above, I now believe they may have added it to the AWD F Sports at some point.
Old 09-24-20, 07:14 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 499 Likes on 267 Posts

VGRS is different from the steering changes with the different modes isn't it? My reading of something I saw on the VGRS made it sound more like the car automatically adjusting the sensitivity based on driving conditions such as speed. Seems like they would be related but different.

Found this article about it but I don't have a membership to read the whole thing: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ering-feature/

My understanding is that VGRS was standard on RWD F Sports but not any other versions of the car, though as mentioned above, I now believe they may have added it to the AWD F Sports at some point.
It would assume this happened at 2016 given what I found when I looked up the VINs and there was the difference between your 2015 and my 2016. I'd still like to know if there's something physical to the VGRS other than the fuse - like a module that's easy to see somewhere under the hood.
Old 09-25-20, 07:18 AM
dgpiii
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like someone in 2012 copy and pasted this same article.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ort-works.html
Old 09-25-20, 10:31 AM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
VGRS is different from the steering changes with the different modes isn't it? My reading of something I saw on the VGRS made it sound more like the car automatically adjusting the sensitivity based on driving conditions such as speed. Seems like they would be related but different.

Found this article about it but I don't have a membership to read the whole thing: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ering-feature/

It would assume this happened at 2016 given what I found when I looked up the VINs and there was the difference between your 2015 and my 2016. I'd still like to know if there's something physical to the VGRS other than the fuse - like a module that's easy to see somewhere under the hood.
As I understand it, the drive modes change how much force you need to turn the wheel. I also think it's speed dependent. So normal driving in Sport doesn't seem much different from Normal but it seems to get stiffer as speed increases.

I don't have it but VGRS should adjust the ratio so should take fewer turns of wheel to affect a given wheel turn angle.
Old 11-19-20, 06:11 PM
Getmoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

not gonna lie. the ambient lighting on the doors and inside the door handles are something I never knew I needed 😂 gone are the days of feeling around for that door handle at night 🤷‍♂️ also the way the center console opened is cool as hell

Quick Reply: Whats your favorite discovered feature?