Search this Thread

Old 03-09-15, 11:08 AM
XFactor7
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PirelliGS
http://www.keyeslexus.com/Inventory/

2013 Lexus GS with 15K miles listed at $36,956

2013 Lexus ES 300 H with 15K miles listed at 35,985.
LOL so the GS is listed for a thousand dollars more. I'm not sure how the ES is "retaining its value a lot better than the GS," especially if the ES 300h cost the same or even a few more thousand dollars.
Old 03-09-15, 11:26 AM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The ES H started at 40k , the GS started at 50k, and now they are worth the same. What dont you get ? The 2013 GS has depreciated about 15k in 2 years while the ES H around 7k.
Old 03-09-15, 11:30 AM
XFactor7
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The ES H starts at 40k , the GS at 50k, and now they are worth the same. What dont you get ? The GS had depreciated about 15k in 2 years and the ES around 7k.
Ahh now I got it. What you said earlier was that "ES Hybrids cost the same if not a few grand more than a 2013 GS 350."

I took that to mean the ES hybrids cost the same if not a few grand more "when purchased new." I didn't know you meant that to mean as of its current pricing. I don't follow the hybrids at all and didn't know their MSRP. Sorry for my ignorance.
Old 03-09-15, 11:35 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

The cars are great but the forums are dry as fakkk. Other forums sections are not as active as this one right here. Even the CT forum is dry.
Old 03-09-15, 12:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Y
Also the ES H retains it value a lot better than the GS non hybrid. 2013 ES Hybrids cost the same if not a few grand more than a 2013 GS 350. With 13K miles, decked out with all options , my ES was listed at $39,000 but i got it for $35,000. There are 3 2013 GS 350 w/ Nav listed at $36,000. You can check the Keyes Lexus pre-owned cars, they are still for sale. I could have got a 2013 GS for $34,000. In 5-7 years a 2013 GS will be worth much less than the ES H. This also helped my decision. Im just tired of paying car payments every month and as a buy, with the great mpg, luxury and retainment of value, the ES H was the best choice from all the cars starting at $35,000
The ES in general retains its value better than the GS...thats not uncommon. The more expensive the car...the worse the % of its value retention is. Want to see horrific resale? Look at a 7 series or S Class.

BUT, you got no benefit of that because you already absorbed the resale loss by trading your GS in early. Your GS also had a high residual lease that protected you from lower resale figures. But...you did away with that benefit by trading and absorbing a huge loss. Had your kept your GS the hit to resale as a % vs time would have lessened.

The ES will never be worth more than a GS similar in age and mileage. If you look back through the cars' history you see that, the GS remains more expensive. The other thing with hybrids is resale value takes a steep decline as they get closer to 100k miles, people like the idea of a used hybrid under warranty, but not so much out of warranty. By the time your 9 years comes along the car will have 233,000 miles on it, resale is going to be a ~ $3,500 whether its an ESh or a GS or an LS or whatever. It will be used up and fully depreciated. You have hybrid components to worry about failure on at high mileages too, the inverter, etc. Plenty of Toyota hybrids out there with those mileages now, and failures do happen.

The ES H started at 40k
Try $45-50k. A base ESh is about $41,500 with destination. An ES300h with the luxury package (not UL), navigation, BSM, HID, rain sensing wipers MSRPs for $47,450. Thats right, probably similar in price to your base GS350.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-09-15 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-09-15, 12:54 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

SW13GS your a character, but a smart guy, lol stop pissing on my parade with whats going to happen 10 years from.
Old 03-09-15, 01:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not trying to **** on your parade at all, I'm just the sort of person that can't abide misinformation. You're making claims about the economics of this thing using numbers you're making up to suit your purposes. People look through these threads to help them make decisions about what to buy and why...and information that is just plain not correct is always going to get a challenge from me.

A perfect example is that "the ESh started from $40k and the GS started from $50k"...that statement is not factual. The ES300h you posted at Keyes for $35,985 was not $40k new, it was $47.5k new, it has navigation and the luxury package, plus chrome wheels that are probably $2k. The GS was about $50-51k new, so...the ES was $2,500-$3,000 less when new, and now used its $1k less. So the GS has lost 2k more in value than the ES, which is hardly the spread you purport it to be. When you factor in that the GS likely sold originally at a much higher discount than the ESh, that may turn the calculation around to where it was the GS that held its value better.

You made a decision to go to the ESh and it fits more what you were looking for originally, and thats fine...but the line you're trying to sell us about the ES holding its value way better and how this move saved you a bunch of money doesn't hold water. In the end, this hasn't really saved you any money. Had you waited until you could get out of the GS without the negative equity and then bought an ESh and drove it for 9 years, that would be a different story. But the bottom line is you're continuing to pay for the GS, while also paying for the ES, and that destroys the fuel savings you're getting out of the ESh.

Thats the thing about leasing, you gotta be in it until the end. If you get out early, its going to kill you.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-09-15 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-09-15, 01:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

congrats man! honestly, reading about your driving pattern and need, i honestly think the gs wasn't the best choice and the es is a much better one. you just care about a car to get you from point A to B that are far apart, so this is perfect. the gs has all the features, more comfortable, roomier, and like you said great on gas.

most importantly you already have the m5 and challenger for your needs on "fun", so by comparison the fun aspect of the gs is greatly diminished.

i was in a very similar boat. i have my other fun car when i need it, but the drive (and stress from work) made me want to get something i can just get in and drive. i actually said that the gs was not the best choice, but i did want to retain some weight on "fun" so that's why i settled for the gs (oh and that i can't stand fwd)

i am happy for you! :thumbup
Old 03-09-15, 01:28 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Congrats on your new ride! You're in a fortunate position to try two great models in the Lexus lineup. As long as the car suits your needs and you're comfortable with the deal, I call it a win. Enjoy the car!
Old 03-09-15, 01:57 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,498 Posts

PirelliGS - Something tells me you will not have the ESh a year from now, which is only about 9 months from now. There is no way in hell you will have this car 9 years from now as your 'plan' suggests. I don't know if you'll get tired of the lag, or the lack of torque and horsepower above 30 mph, or the 4 cylinder engine, or the FWD, or the color, or the marshmallow ride, or the stigma that some people give hybrids, or some other reason...but I foresee you getting rid of this car in short order instead of keeping it for the long haul.

PS - Are you going to request a change of your Username?

PPS - Does the ESh have Pirelli tires on it?

Last edited by bclexus; 03-09-15 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-09-15, 02:39 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

loll im going to miss you bclexus, 9 months lolll no way man, hey but you never know, i might land a 6 figure deal and trade it in for a Aston Martin Vanquish bwahahha. Let God grant me continued success and health and skys the limit. Trust me there are always ways to get out of a car, but thats my little secret.

Yes i will ask if the mod can change it to PirelliES lol

No i have Michelins but i will put Pirellis once they get worn out.
Old 03-09-15, 02:44 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As long as you like it... Just hate to see anyone leave the GS!
Old 03-09-15, 03:07 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sick21
As long as you like it... Just hate to see anyone leave the GS!
Yeah i know, i had a lot of fun with the GS, but this was the right decision for me now.
Old 03-09-15, 03:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Trust me there are always ways to get out of a car, but thats my little secret.
Its no secret, always ways to get out of a car when people are willing to take a massive loss
Old 03-09-15, 03:17 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Its no secret, always ways to get out of a car when people are willing to take a massive loss
Guilty here.

Quick Reply: Just traded my GS for a ES 300h