GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rainsensing wiper

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-16, 05:44 PM
Kane007
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Igor911
thanks, mine do not seem to do that. I only have 1 speed setting irrespective of what I have the adjustment set to. GRR - guess I'll mention it to the dealer next time I come in for service.
I was wondering why I couldnt get intermittent wipers to work when I got my car last year.. sadly, I found out that we do not have this option. We can either set the wipers to normal or use the rain sensing feature.. really annoying as I think the rain sensor absolutely sucks..
Old 07-19-16, 09:13 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kane007
I was wondering why I couldnt get intermittent wipers to work when I got my car last year.. sadly, I found out that we do not have this option. We can either set the wipers to normal or use the rain sensing feature.. really annoying as I think the rain sensor absolutely sucks..
If anyone has problems with the rain sensor (being stuck on when the windshield is dry) check to make sure the camera has a clear view. No stickers, cobwebs, ciggy butts or anything obstructing the view. The sensor camera is in the rear view mirror, facing forward. I learned that the day I washed my car and walked around with the car running while I wiped off stray water. Wiped the glass in front of the sensor and triggered the wipers.
Old 07-20-16, 05:14 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kane007
Did you read the owners manual....it tells you how to toggle between rain sensing and intermittent
Old 07-20-16, 03:18 PM
jklangen99
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just searched for intermittent wiper and found this thread. I have a new 2016 GS 350 and the intermittent wiper most definitely does not work. With auto rain sensing off (no green light) one push down and it is a constant wipe, not intermittent regardless of the speed control setting. It has worked once while in park in my garage. So I do the manual lift up to get intermittent. I also have not had good luck with the auto wiper sensor.
Old 07-20-16, 03:25 PM
lchang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jklangen99
I just searched for intermittent wiper and found this thread. I have a new 2016 GS 350 and the intermittent wiper most definitely does not work. With auto rain sensing off (no green light) one push down and it is a constant wipe, not intermittent regardless of the speed control setting. It has worked once while in park in my garage. So I do the manual lift up to get intermittent. I also have not had good luck with the auto wiper sensor.
Were you able to try the technique from the owner's manual (post #29). Copied here again: (I can't test it myself because I've got another problem where my wipers get stuck--need to fix that first!)

Switching between the intermittent windshield wipers and rain- sensing windshield wipers (vehicles with rain-sensing windshield wipers)
The wipers can be used as intermittent windshield wipers, which operate regardless of vehicle speed or amount of raindrops. The intermittent windshield wiper operation can be switched when the vehicle is stopped and the wiper is off. The wiper operation cannot be switched during AUTO mode or while the intermittent windshield wipers are operating.

Press and hold <AUTO> until the AUTO mode indicator stops flashing.
If <AUTO> is pressed and held until the AUTO mode indicator stops flashing again, it will return to its previous state.
Old 07-20-16, 03:44 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

You have to do more then push the auto button....that only turns the rain sensing on or off...

You have to push the auto button down and hold it until the green light stops blinking now you have toggled between rain sensing and intermittent
Old 07-20-16, 03:53 PM
lchang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnier6
You have to do more then push the auto button....that only turns the rain sensing on or off...

You have to push the auto button down and hold it until the green light stops blinking now you have toggled between rain sensing and intermittent
I assume you know what mode you're in just by trying it out? If you're in "intermittent mode", push the stalk down once and you'll be in intermittent mode (instead of continuous), right? So while in this mode, what happens when you press the Auto button?
Old 07-20-16, 08:03 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Correct,correct, never tried....btw, the barrel adjustment works the delay of the intermittent
Old 07-21-16, 10:45 AM
jklangen99
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So reading the manual text quoted here again 'The intermittent windshield wiper operation can be switched when the vehicle is stopped and the wiper is off'. So tested that today again with the car in park and intermittent worked perfectly. So if you are driving and it starts to rain lightly and auto is not working and I turn auto off and intermittent will not work??? It appears you have to stop the car??? Crazy but not the only weird thing about this car. I absolutely love driving this GS 350 with the Luxury package in Sports or Sports + mode but there are some very basic things that I do not like. Hope the dealer can fix at least a couple of them for my 5,000 mile check. The wiper is one and the seat memory position is the other. Even though I have the 'easy exit' turned off, it does it anyway once in a while. Sometimes the memory positions will be activated when I start the car, sometimes not.
Old 07-21-16, 06:09 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Once you toggle the rain sensing off, it's off until you press and hold the auto button again for a few seconds until the light stops blinking....so once you put it into intermittent it defaults to that until you toggle it back to auto....

while you have it toggled to intermittent the auto button does nothing....unless of course you hold it down to toggle back to rain sensing....