Luxury package: Sport vs Sport+

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-15, 02:49 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,564 Posts

Originally Posted by rijc99
Exactly, according to Lexus... there is no change in steering setting from Normal to Sport S. The change takes place from S to S+
Putting your car in Sport drive mode the NAV screen will indicate what has changed. See if the Steering Wheel is highlighted along with the Engine and the Transmission.
Old 03-18-15, 02:56 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Putting your car in Sport drive mode the NAV screen will indicate what has changed. See if the Steering Wheel is highlighted along with the Engine and the Transmission.
OK, since you don't seem to want to believe Lexus corporate.

Old 03-18-15, 03:00 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

You can feel the steering difference in sport+ the most at higher speeds. You'll find yourself having to correct the car more frequently as the steering is much sharper. The trade off though is that it goes around bends like a dream.
Old 03-18-15, 03:08 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, it depends on whether the car has AVS or not.

■Vehicles without AVS

Sport mode
An acceleration response suitable for sports driving is provided by controlling steering
response
and transmission. Suitable for when precise handling is desirable, for example
when driving on mountain roads.
When the driving mode select switch is turned right, the “SPORT” indicator comes on
in the instrument cluster.

If the car has AVS, then apparently no change is made to the steering until the Sport+ mode is chosen (as indicated below).

■Vehicles with AVS

Sport mode
• SPORT S mode
Improves acceleration response by controlling the transmission. Suitable for when
precise handling is desirable, for example when driving on mountain roads.
When the driving mode select switch is turned right while a made other than SPORT
S mode is selected, the “SPORT S” indicator comes on in the instrument cluster.

• SPORT S+ mode
Improves steering performance and driving stability by simultaneously controlling the
steering and suspension in addition to the transmission. Suitable for sporty driving.
When the driving mode select switch is turned right while SPORT S mode is selected,
the “SPORT S+” indicator comes on in the instrument cluster.

Last edited by bclexus; 03-18-15 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-18-15, 03:18 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Okay, it depends on whether the car has AVS or not.

■Vehicles without AVS

Sport mode
An acceleration response suitable for sports driving is provided by controlling steering
response
and transmission. Suitable for when precise handling is desirable, for example
when driving on mountain roads.
When the driving mode select switch is turned right, the “SPORT” indicator comes on
in the instrument cluster.

If the car has AVS, then apparently no change is made to the steering until the Sport+ mode is chosen (as indicated below).

■Vehicles with AVS

Sport mode
• SPORT S mode
Improves acceleration response by controlling the transmission. Suitable for when
precise handling is desirable, for example when driving on mountain roads.
When the driving mode select switch is turned right while a made other than SPORT
S mode is selected, the “SPORT S” indicator comes on in the instrument cluster.

• SPORT S+ mode
Improves steering performance and driving stability by simultaneously controlling the
steering and suspension in addition to the transmission. Suitable for sporty driving.
When the driving mode select switch is turned right while SPORT S mode is selected,
the “SPORT S+” indicator comes on in the instrument cluster.
Yes. Cars without Adaptive Variable Suspensions have Eco/Normal/Sport S. No Sport S+.
Old 03-18-15, 03:19 PM
kevinm123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
You can feel the steering difference in sport+ the most at higher speeds. You'll find yourself having to correct the car more frequently as the steering is much sharper. The trade off though is that it goes around bends like a dream.
When you say sharper steering, you don't necessarily mean stiffer. Right?
Old 03-18-15, 03:20 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Yes. Cars without Adaptive Variable Suspensions have Eco/Normal/Sport S. No Sport S+.
Does the Luxury package come standard with AVS?
Old 03-18-15, 03:22 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Forget about the F-Sport - because the topic is about a GS 350 Luxury Package and the difference(s) of Sport mode versus Sport+ mode. Also, forget about the engine throttle response and also the transmission shift characteristics because both Sport mode and Sport+ mode provide exactly the same for those two things. That said, the only things that remain are the suspension and the steering. We already know that only Sport+ mode changes the suspension. And, we already know that the Sport mode changes the steering response. All that said, the only question that remains to be answered is - in a Luxury Package GS 350 does Sport+ mode 'further' change the steering in some way (e.g. even heavier feel over what Sport mode provides or a change in ratio, etc.) beyond what the Sport mode already changes the steering?
The difference between sport and sport + in the transmission shifting is very different. That I can 100% assure you. I do agree that the suspension only changes in the sport + mode. BTW, I'm referring to the Luxury as that is what we have.
Old 03-18-15, 03:23 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

AVS is part of Luxury package.
Old 03-18-15, 03:25 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

The Luxury Package comes with the Adaptive shocks - which I assume is what AVS is (sorry that I don't feel like looking it up).
Old 03-18-15, 03:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

correct, in my premium version, putting it in sports tightens the steering. but for cars with avs (fsport and luxury), sports only affects the throttle i think. s+ does the steering + suspension

and yes, the steering tightening is very noticeable. when i first got my car, i thought the steering was very loose and i thought steering tightening is only available on luxury or fsport. then few days later i turned on sports and i immediately thought to myself "how come the steering got tighter?" that's when i found out sports mode tighten the steering. then by turning sport on and off, i felt the changes clearly
Old 03-18-15, 03:27 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kevinm123
When you say sharper steering, you don't necessarily mean stiffer. Right?
To me, it feels stiffer. Feels more connected to the road and less power boosted. Smaller steering wheel movement for the same amount turn of vs. standard setting (but this is more due to the VGRS).
Old 03-18-15, 03:27 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

AVS is part of Luxury package.
That explains the difference. In my GS 350 Premium when I go to Sport mode the steering response changes whereas with a Luxury package or F-Sport the steering response does not change...and to change the steering response requires going to Sport+ mode.
Old 03-18-15, 03:28 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
correct, in my premium version, putting it in sports tightens the steering. but for cars with avs (fsport and luxury), sports only affects the throttle i think. s+ does the steering + suspension
Correct...
Old 03-18-15, 03:29 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

That explains the difference. In my GS 350 Premium when I go to Sport mode the steering response changes whereas with a Luxury package or F-Sport the steering response does not change...and to change the steering response requires going to Sport+ mode.
OK, no biggie.

So for the OP, have a friend drive your car. You sit in the passenger seat and adjust the settings. Try it in different speeds. See if your friend(s) can tell a difference.

It's electric power steering so it is possible yours is not getting the right signal. Or, maybe you're just not feeling the difference.

Quick Reply: Luxury package: Sport vs Sport+