GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Luxury package: Sport vs Sport+

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-15, 03:31 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
The difference between sport and sport + in the transmission shifting is very different. That I can 100% assure you. I do agree that the suspension only changes in the sport + mode. BTW, I'm referring to the Luxury as that is what we have.
Are you saying that the transmission shifting characteristics are different between Sport and Sport+? I thought they were the same. How is it different?
Old 03-18-15, 03:33 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Are you saying that the transmission shifting characteristics are different between Sport and Sport+? I thought they were the same. How is it different?
Transmission shift logic is same between Sport S and Sport S+.
Old 03-18-15, 03:36 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

The difference between sport and sport + in the transmission shifting is very different. That I can 100% assure you. I do agree that the suspension only changes in the sport + mode. BTW, I'm referring to the Luxury as that is what we have.
Originally Posted by rijc99
I think the transmission shifting characteristics for Sport and Sport+ are the same too.
Old 03-18-15, 05:14 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kevinm123
When you say sharper steering, you don't necessarily mean stiffer. Right?
In your case specifically (with a GS 350 Luxury package model) going to Sport+ drive mode alters the steering responsiveness by increasing steering effort. I recall reading that steering effort (needed to turn the steering wheel) is increased by 20%, which makes the steering feel heavier, but more desirable at higher speeds when taking turns/curves.
Old 03-18-15, 07:22 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Absolutely different between those two modes. I 100% guarantee it. It holds lower gears much longer and downshifts much more eagerly. Don't forget I have a Luxury that may be different than the F Sport or Premium.
Old 03-18-15, 07:36 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Absolutely different between those two modes. I 100% guarantee it. It holds lower gears much longer and downshifts much more eagerly. Don't forget I have a Luxury that may be different than the F Sport or Premium.
Overlooking ECO mode - are you saying that your Normal mode has one set of transmission characteristics, and your Sport mode a different set of characteristics...and your Sport+ mode has yet another entirely different 3rd set of characteristics that is different from the Sport mode?

That's a new one on me!
Old 03-18-15, 07:44 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Overlooking ECO mode - are you saying that your Normal mode has one set of transmission characteristics, and your Sport mode a different set of characteristics...and your Sport+ mode has yet another entirely different 3rd set of characteristics that is different from the Sport mode?

That's a new one on me!
Yes it does.
Old 03-18-15, 07:49 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Yes it does.
I've never heard or seen that mentioned anywhere before...
Old 03-18-15, 07:56 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Yes it does.
I'm with bclexus on this. Because what you are describing is contrary to all Lexus literature
Old 03-19-15, 03:20 AM
jjscsix
Racer

I'm with bclexus on this. Because what you are describing is contrary to all Lexus literature
The difference is actually greater from Sport to plus than it is from normal to Sport. Ya'll can question me all you want, but it's not a subtle difference. Maybe it has something to do with the learning mode....I don't know. But I'm not dreaming this.

I just got rid of a BMW 550 with the Sport transmission, and I now have an A7 Audi with Sport package. I'm in and out of the sport modes on my cars all the time, every time I drive them based upon traffic conditions so I'm very tuned into the difference in responsiveness of how the hold gears and downshift more aggressively.
Old 03-19-15, 09:28 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

The difference is actually greater from Sport to plus than it is from normal to Sport. Ya'll can question me all you want, but it's not a subtle difference. Maybe it has something to do with the learning mode....I don't know. But I'm not dreaming this.

I just got rid of a BMW 550 with the Sport transmission, and I now have an A7 Audi with Sport package. I'm in and out of the sport modes on my cars all the time, every time I drive them based upon traffic conditions so I'm very tuned into the difference in responsiveness of how the hold gears and downshift more aggressively.
It's perception...

There are 3 throttle response modes. Eco, Normal and Sport S.
Transmission shift characteristics have 2 modes. Normal and Sport S.

Sport S+ is basically Sport S with "additions"
In addition to the Sport S changes of throttle and shift, the "+" adds the following changes:
-Higher damping force
-Increased steering feedback
-VGRS ratio change
-DRS enhance
-VDIM control intervention change

I understand you may feel Sport S+ adds additional throttle or shift change but that's just your perception and not what the car is doing. NO technical data or literature support that and in fact state otherwise.

Lexus new model technical training handbook:
http://assets.cobaltnitra.com/teams/...146efa6b30.pdf

Last edited by rijc99; 03-19-15 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-19-15, 09:37 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Clearly this is something that you personally notice, observe, feel and experience. But, as you probably already know, there is no indication (written or verbal) from Lexus or any reliable third-party source (that I am aware of) that professes what you declare to be accurate. It would certainly be helpful if there was something tangible to support your assertion. Do you have any suggestions on where such information can be obtained?
Old 03-19-15, 09:41 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

It's perception... There are 3 throttle response modes. Eco, Normal and Sport. Transmission shift characteristics have 2 modes. Normal and Sport. In addition to the Sport S changes of throttle and shift, the "+" adds the following changes: -Higher damping force -Increased steering feedback -VGRS ratio change -DRS enhance -VDIM control intervention change I understand you may feel Sport S+ adds additional throttle or shift change but that's just your perception and not what the car is doing. NO technical data or literature support that and in fact state otherwise. Lexus new model technical training handbook: http://assets.cobaltnitra.com/teams/...146efa6b30.pdf
Been too lazy to look this up.

Side note: This confirms that trac is dialed back in sport+. Obviously still not enough though lol...
Old 03-19-15, 09:50 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

I can honestly say there is a noticeable difference in throttle response and transmission shifts in ECO, Norm and S/S+ Mode. Suspension settings in S+ though, it is tough for me to tell. I just haven't pushed the car hard enough or noticed.

I do know that S and S+ mode puts a bi smile on my face. LOL
Old 03-19-15, 09:53 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by praetor
I can honestly say there is a noticeable difference in throttle response and transmission shifts in ECO, Norm and S/S+ Mode. Suspension settings in S+ though, it is tough for me to tell. I just haven't pushed the car hard enough or noticed.

I do know that S and S+ mode puts a bi smile on my face. LOL
You just need to try it on the crappy freeways we have here in So.Cal.

Quick Reply: Luxury package: Sport vs Sport+