Operation replace the 4GS...or don't...the search begins

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-15, 04:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I shall start another thread
i found your new thread before seeing this one woohoo!!!!!!!!
Old 05-11-15, 07:52 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

I thought I'd respond your question here as it may help others when it's time to change. I should not use the word "lack" but rather say there are things from the GS that I would miss.
Your other thread was so constagious that I decided to check the car out for a few days to see if it's the next right car for me. They gave me a LS460 with a few hundred miles on the clock. It's a base model with added 19" Michellin Energy. I had this thing the last few days and here are my thoughts.

1. Exterior: Except the chrome handles and black buttons, it's a beautiful car even with the std light. Definitely worth the upgrade. Walk to it and one can immediately appreciate its beauty.

2. Interior:
The first thing I noticed was the sound quality. I stream from my iPhone 6 and I noticed the bass is a lot weaker and the sound was more scattering. I checked the settings and made sure it's the same as in my GS. Same feeling. The sound quality seems more clear but definitely weaker and more scattering. Maybe it is due to larger interior room. Maybe I need to go up to ML to get better sound quality.
The second thing I noticed was the seat is not as comfortable as the GS seat. It doesn't hug me regardless how I adjusted. Not sure if the missing features are upgradable but I do not like the seat.
The third thing I noticed was the light running along the doors. They decided to have it in the dash and the door opener. Not sure why but I thought running light along the door looks nicer.
The rear shade: why did they do this way? I thought it looks nicer without the side bars. Kind remind me the E and ES.
No more pockets in the door handles. I'm sure the reason behind this. Maybe because now they have a place the the sunglasses?
A few nice added little features like the lighted seatbelt latches, more DPI fonts in the odometer, sunglasses holder (!), bigger stick, head light for rear passengers, additional controll buttons for the passenger's seat. The door closing is also a nice feature.
3. On the road: as I started to drive, I can immediately appreciate the luxurious ride. Nice and quiet. As I speed up and get onto the freeway and going through some turns, I immediately noticed it doesn't handle like the GS. The lacked features from the seat made me feel like I'm being thrown around when going into curves. It's nice and quiet but I could feel the wind very well and the car felt like wobbling. It's more like an airplane feel. I prefer the GS feel more. It feels more planted.

There are a few more things but I can't remember at the moment. Overall IMO it's a beautiful luxurious car but if I were to get it, it would be because of the image and the want of driving a flagship car. All was confirmed when I got back into my GS again. I decided to give her a nice wash. She has been abandoned for a long time For now I decided to keep the GS until the refresh comes.

Last edited by 1111GS; 05-22-21 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-11-15, 08:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by 1101GS
The first thing I noticed was the sound quality. I stream from my iPhone 6 and I noticed the bass is a lot weaker and the sound was more scattering. I checked the settings and made sure it's the same as in my GS. Same feeling. The sound quality seems more clear but definitely weaker and more scattering. Maybe it is due to larger interior room. Maybe I need to go up to ML to get better sound quality.
Interesting, because I made note of how much better the standard audio system sounds vs the standard audio on my GS. Also streaming from an iPhone 6. I did find that the audio settings needed to be tweaked a little differently than I had them on the GS.

The second thing I noticed was the seat is not as comfortable as the GS seat. It doesn't hug me regardless how I adjusted. Not sure if the missing features are upgradable but I do not like the seat.
This is true, and the features are not upgradable. Even the F Sport doesn't have a seat like the GS Luxury seat. I find the seats comfortable, but they aren't as supportive as the seats in the GS, and what I miss the most is the articulating backrest.

The third thing I noticed was the light running along the doors. They decided to have it in the dash and the door opener. Not sure why but I thought running light along the door looks nicer.
Yep. I like it on the dash, but would also like to see it on the doors. I think this is because essentially the door panels are the same as they were in 2007, just the trim is different.

The rear shade: why did they do this way? I thought it looks nicer without the side bars. Kind remind me the E and ES.
I think its because the interior dates back to 07, and doesn't have the new shade design.

No more pockets in the door handles. I'm sure the reason behind this. Maybe because now they have a place the the sunglasses?
Actually none of our LSs have had pockets in the door handles. Not sure why.

As I speed up and get onto the freeway and going through some turns, I immediately noticed it doesn't handle like the GS. The lacked features from the seat made me feel like I'm being thrown around when going into curves. It's nice and quiet but I could feel the wind very well and the car felt like wobbling. It's more like an airplane feel. I prefer the GS feel more. It feels more planted.
Mine's very stable on the highway, doesn't wobble or waft with the wind. Your demo had the 19s, mine has the 18s, wonder if that could be why?

Overall IMO it's a beautiful luxurious car but if I were to get it, it would be because of the image and the want of driving a flagship car.
Not really about image for me, more its just that I love the way the LS rides and drives. To me thats the ideal for the way I want a car to be, but can totally respect how someone could feel differently. Not a sporty bone in the car's body lol.
Old 05-11-15, 08:26 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by 1101GS
I thought I'd respond your question here as it may help others when it's time to change. I should not use the word "lack" but rather say there are things from the GS that I would miss.
Your other thread was so constagious that I decided to check the car out for a few days to see if it's the next right car for me. They gave me a LS460 with a few hundred miles on the clock. It's a base model with added 19" Michellin Energy. I had this thing the last few days and here are my thoughts.

1. Exterior: Except the chrome handles and black buttons, it's a beautiful car even with the std light. Definitely worth the upgrade. Walk to it and one can immediately appreciate its beauty.

2. Interior:
A few nice added little features like the lighted seatbelt latches, more DPI fonts in the odometer, sunglasses holder (!), bigger stick, head light for rear passengers, additional controll buttons for the passenger's seat. The door closing is also a nice feature.
3. On the road: as I started to drive, I can immediately appreciate the luxurious ride. Nice and quiet. As I speed up and get onto the freeway and going through some turns, I immediately noticed it doesn't handle like the GS. The lacked features from the seat made me feel like I'm being thrown around when going into curves. It's nice and quiet but I could feel the wind very well and the car felt like wobbling. It's more like an airplane feel. I prefer the GS feel more. It feels more planted.

There are a few more things but I can't remember at the moment. Overall IMO it's a beautiful luxurious car but if I were to get it, it would be because of the image and the want of driving a flagship car. All was confirmed when I got back into my GS again. I decided to give her a nice wash. She has been abandoned for a long time For now I decided to keep the GS until the refresh comes.
Yes I agree with the rear shade design, that's the one thing I don't like about the LS. The GS rear shade design is better. Maybe that design is ok for the ES but definitely not on a $70K+ LS cause it looks cheap! And it floats more than the GS, even the FSport in S+ mode. But it's still a nice highway cruiser.
Old 07-02-15, 10:16 PM
s9211
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SW15LS: How did you change your nick name?
Old 07-03-15, 06:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by s9211
SW15LS: How did you change your nick name?
Theres a sticky thread at the top of the Site Suggestions and Problems forums (down at the bottom of the main forums page), you can post your desired new handle in that and once a month or so Dave goes on and makes the requested changes to nicknames.
Old 07-03-15, 09:28 AM
s9211
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Theres a sticky thread at the top of the Site Suggestions and Problems forums (down at the bottom of the main forums page), you can post your desired new handle in that and once a month or so Dave goes on and makes the requested changes to nicknames.
Great! Thanks for the information!
Old 07-06-15, 08:26 AM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Received 187 Likes on 73 Posts

Don't leave the Lexus family... I did and switched to few cars and I came back to Lexus again. When I came back to Lexus, i felt like I am home again.
Old 07-06-15, 08:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 08sgmis350
Don't leave the Lexus family... I did and switched to few cars and I came back to Lexus again. When I came back to Lexus, i felt like I am home again.
Not to worry, upgraded to an LS
Old 07-06-15, 08:36 AM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Received 187 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Not to worry, upgraded to an LS
Nice pick up!!! LS460 is badass ride! Congrats
Old 07-06-15, 10:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic