GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Convertible Car Seat in the Center?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-15, 08:02 PM
gs3andahaf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Car Seat in the Center?

Hi folks,

My daughter has been installed in the center rear of my 2015 GS350 for a couple of months now, and is in there firm and tight. We use a new Peg Perego convertible car seat. That said, my wife was advised by a website that the GS350 does not have center latch anchors, and is therefore unsafe for center install. My thoughts on this are:

1- My daughter's seat is tightly, and carefully installed in the center.

2- Center installs are known to be safer due to more space for a side impact.

3- I believe that the car does not have a center latch due to width requirements to do so.

4- The inner latch bars from the left and right latches appear to be the same width as the left and right.

5- This car has deeply scalloped seats for the left and right that prevent a good install. The center is relatively flat permitting a better angle between seat and back.

6- As long as I do not install multiple seats and share the four anchors I do not see the problem.

Help Club Lexus people!
Old 03-29-15, 10:27 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have two of these seats in my car. If you check your owners manual, latch anchors only support up to a certain weight. Our children will eventually outgrow that weight while still in the Peg Perego. It is safe to only use a seat belt. Also the instructions to the seat said so.

I'm pretty up to knowledge on this. We had a '13 Explorer Sport that had inflatable seat belts. The seat belt would not fit through the car seat. We could only use LATCH. Which is fine, until your children get so big that it exceeds what the LATCH anchors support.

Btw, every vehicles LATCH supports a different amount of weight.
Old 03-29-15, 11:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by gs3andahaf
My daughter has been installed in the center rear of my 2015 GS350 for a couple of months now, and is in there firm and tight. We use a new Peg Perego convertible car seat. That said, my wife was advised by a website that the GS350 does not have center latch anchors, and is therefore unsafe for center install.
This is a common misconception about LATCH anchors, I just went through this with my wife when installing the carseats in her Jeep for our 6 week old twins. We have one in the passenger side seat, and one in the center. We're both tall and installing one behind the driver doesn't work for us, plus somebody can still sit there which is a plus. The center seat in the Jeep has no LATCH anchors either.

LATCH anchors are not there for safety...they are there for convenience. There is nothing less safe about installing the seat using the seatbelts properly vs using the LATCH anchors, the LATCH anchors simply make it easier to install and uninstall the seats and they're more "dummy proof" meaning its easier to install them correctly.

I have confirmed with the manufacturer of our seats (Cybex who make some of the safest seats in the world) and my local rescue squad that is is true and the kid is 100% safe in the center without the LATCH. In fact, the center is safer overall, the rescue squad always recommends installation in the center vs the outboard when possible.

So now we put whichever kid is behaving best that day in the center and motor on down the road.
Old 03-29-15, 02:44 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
So now we put whichever kid is behaving best that day in the center and motor on down the road.
LOL best thing I've heard all week. Love the logic.
Old 03-29-15, 03:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yardie876
LOL best thing I've heard all week. Love the logic.
"Mommy and Daddy want you to live today!" LOL
Old 03-29-15, 04:43 PM
inramana
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can adults sit in the rear seat after the child seat is put in the center?
Old 03-29-15, 06:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You could. Don't know if you'd want to.
Old 03-29-15, 07:27 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,498 Posts

The GS 350 does not have the center seat Latch system. There is a center seat belt and even though the center seat is raised and not comfortable for an adult it can be used with seat belts - it just doesn't have the Latch system latch hooks. Latch hooks have required spacing, and Lexus has installed them in the left-hand and right-hand rear seat positions. However, a car seat can be installed in the center position using the seat belts...where it has been determined to be the safest place for a car seat.

Most car seat's Latch connectors (e.g. Chicco KeyFit) will not reach the inboard left-hand Latch hook and the inboard right-hand Latch hook in order to install the car seat in the center position because of the [two inboard hook] spacing is a few inches too far apart, and also because the center seat is raised. The car seat's web straps that have the Latch connectors on the ends are about 1" shy of being able to connect to the two inboard Latch hooks. However, if you want to use a car seat in the center position (without using the seat belt to strap the car seat in-place), you can add a heavy duty chain link to the left-hand Latch hook and the inboard right-hand Latch hook so the car seat's Latch connectors will then reach and latch to the added links, thus not requiring the car seat to be strapped in with the seat belt. The chain links are rated at a higher tensile strength than the Latch hooks.

Last edited by bclexus; 03-29-15 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-29-15, 07:54 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by inramana
Yes, there is the normal seating width for adults to sit in the left-hand and right-hand rear seats when a car seat is in the center position.
Old 04-02-15, 07:16 AM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bclexus

Most car seat's Latch connectors (e.g. Chicco KeyFit) will not reach the inboard left-hand Latch hook and the inboard right-hand Latch hook in order to install the car seat in the center position because of the [two inboard hook] spacing is a few inches too far apart, and also because the center seat is raised...

However, if you want to use a car seat in the center position (without using the seat belt to strap the car seat in-place), you can add a heavy duty chain link to the left-hand Latch hook and the inboard right-hand Latch hook so the car seat's Latch connectors will then reach and latch to the added links, thus not requiring the car seat to be strapped in with the seat belt. The chain links are rated at a higher tensile strength than the Latch hooks.
Great idea! I'll check out the chain link solution over the weekend.
Old 04-02-15, 08:13 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
The GS 350 does not have the center seat Latch system. There is a center seat belt and even though the center seat is raised and not comfortable for an adult it can be used with seat belts - it just doesn't have the Latch system latch hooks. Latch hooks have required spacing, and Lexus has installed them in the left-hand and right-hand rear seat positions. However, a car seat can be installed in the center position using the seat belts...where it has been determined to be the safest place for a car seat.

Most car seat's Latch connectors (e.g. Chicco KeyFit) will not reach the inboard left-hand Latch hook and the inboard right-hand Latch hook in order to install the car seat in the center position because of the [two inboard hook] spacing is a few inches too far apart, and also because the center seat is raised. The car seat's web straps that have the Latch connectors on the ends are about 1" shy of being able to connect to the two inboard Latch hooks. However, if you want to use a car seat in the center position (without using the seat belt to strap the car seat in-place), you can add a heavy duty chain link to the left-hand Latch hook and the inboard right-hand Latch hook so the car seat's Latch connectors will then reach and latch to the added links, thus not requiring the car seat to be strapped in with the seat belt. The chain links are rated at a higher tensile strength than the Latch hooks.
Originally Posted by blacksun
Great idea! I'll check out the chain link solution over the weekend.
Just make sure the car seat's Latch connectors will latch to the chain link you choose. In other words, you do not want to choose a chain link that is made with a diameter that is too large in which the connector will not fit, or latch to it. It works like a charm!
Old 04-02-15, 08:16 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by inramana
Depends. How wide is your mother in law's ****??