GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

60k service

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-19, 10:18 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,051 Likes on 665 Posts

Seems like a waste of money. Cabin and engine filters can be had for less than $100 and takes 5 mins to swap both. Do they really replace the spark plugs at 60K? I thought they're good for over 100K miles. And tire rotation does not apply to FSport RWDs.

And there is the brake fluid. But $600??
Old 02-09-19, 03:28 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,166 Likes on 753 Posts

I get all my maintenance done a la carte. I never ask for the 15, 30 or 60,000 mile service. The 60,000 mile maintenance is brake fluid changed, oil and filter changed, tire rotation and cabin and air filters replaced. The spark plugs can't address because I don't know how much. The rest is a bunch of inspection that is not needed IMO. This service will be about $600. The filters are about $20 each and takes five minutes to replace. Oil change $75, tire rotation $20, brake fluid changed $120. These total $215. The filters are about $20 each and takes five minutes to replace. Total $255. I take my jug of Mobil 1 bought at Walmart for $24 and my $5 oil filter bought on line to my Lexus dealer. This total cost including their labor for the oil change is $59. This lower the total cost down to $239. Every spring and fall Mobil gives a $12 rebate on the five quart jug. All done on line. Upload pic of receipt. This lowers the over all cost down $12 to $227.
Old 06-27-19, 06:38 AM
spiveyb
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I just received a quote from my local dealership of 980.00 for the 60k service. I know I could save money by performing some of the tasks myself, but there's value of being worry-free about dropping your car off at the dealership. I had a minor issue with taking my car to a independent shop a while back getting tires changed. They broke all my tire sensors, and tried to replace it with aftermarket sensors without my knowledge. The saving grace was the car started throwing error codes, and they came clean about it. Whether this incident was a one time deal or not, I feel more comfortable paying for reliability. Not to mention the convenience of having a loaner car of my choosing until the next day is always a big plus to me.
Old 06-27-19, 08:07 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,174 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by spiveyb
I just received a quote from my local dealership of 980.00 for the 60k service. I know I could save money by performing some of the tasks myself, but there's value of being worry-free about dropping your car off at the dealership. I had a minor issue with taking my car to a independent shop a while back getting tires changed. They broke all my tire sensors, and tried to replace it with aftermarket sensors without my knowledge. The saving grace was the car started throwing error codes, and they came clean about it. Whether this incident was a one time deal or not, I feel more comfortable paying for reliability. Not to mention the convenience of having a loaner car of my choosing until the next day is always a big plus to me.
@spiveyb Thats one of the cheaper prices i've heard for a dealership 60k service on the 4GS. Does that price include spark plugs and brake fluid change?
Old 06-27-19, 08:16 AM
spiveyb
Driver

Yes it does. Another factor is I decided to skip the 55k service (more like checkup). So the 980 won't feel too bad in my opinion.
Old 06-27-19, 09:40 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Your getting gouged and overpaying to be "worry free". $980 is ridiculous for this service which is mainly just fluids and filters plus much of it is not necessary. Spark plugs don't need to be changed anywhere near 60K miles on a modern car, brake fluid does not need to be changed. You can change the filters yourself for less then $40, skip the plugs, skip the brake fluid unless there is a issue, just do the oil and tire rotation. Should be less then $200.
Old 06-27-19, 09:47 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,051 Likes on 665 Posts

It looks like for FSport RWD model we can skip all that except oil change plus cabin and engine filters. FSport RWD tires can't be rotated anyway. So total should be about $170 ($100 oil change + $40 Cabin Filter + $30 Engine Filter). U can save the rest for new tires.

They don't even touch the brakes for that service right? So brake pads are still out of pocket?
Old 06-27-19, 10:03 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,174 Likes on 865 Posts

$980 (from the dealership) is pretty good if it includes spark plugs and brake fluid flush plus the loaner car perk. You can definitely get it done cheaper elsewhere but you've already mentioned your dicey experiences elsewhere so as long as you're comfortable with the price and trust the dealership, that's what matters most.
The following users liked this post:
spiveyb (06-27-19)
Old 06-27-19, 10:52 AM
spiveyb
Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
Your getting gouged and overpaying to be "worry free". $980 is ridiculous for this service which is mainly just fluids and filters plus much of it is not necessary. Spark plugs don't need to be changed anywhere near 60K miles on a modern car, brake fluid does not need to be changed. You can change the filters yourself for less then $40, skip the plugs, skip the brake fluid unless there is a issue, just do the oil and tire rotation. Should be less then $200.
I get it, I'm all about saving money at times to. But I'm also a believer of not taking shortcuts all the time. It's certain things you sign up for when you get a luxury car (every once in a while high service charge). Case in point tires,, we all knew buying this car would hit the pockets hard because of the non-square set up. Does that mean you buy cheaper tires or do you still pay more for a reputable brand?
Old 06-27-19, 03:53 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

I get it, I'm all about saving money at times to. But I'm also a believer of not taking shortcuts all the time. It's certain things you sign up for when you get a luxury car (every once in a while high service charge). Case in point tires,, we all knew buying this car would hit the pockets hard because of the non-square set up. Does that mean you buy cheaper tires or do you still pay more for a reputable brand?
Owning a Japanese luxury car should not have to be painful or expensive. I don't consider DIY and skipping un needed services to be taking shortcuts, I treat my car better when I work on it better then any mechanic and I try to put the best fluids I can. Buying your own filters and changing them saves a lot of money and takes less then 5 min to do, there is just no reason to change spark plugs at 60K miles on these cars, I think that is just to try to get a extra expensive service in and probably trying to do every little thing to squeak out the most they can from fuel economy/emissions because of pressure from regulators. The loaner car is a perk of getting it done at the dealer, changing your own oil while not that difficult but can be a PIA when bolts, filters are stubborn to loosen but I still do it, if the oil change was only maybe $20 or $25 more then doing it myself then I would probably get it done at the dealership more but at over $100 which is over $50 more then DIY it is just too pricey for my taste.

I have a Luxury so I don't have a staggered setup, if I got a F Sport RWD I would replace either the sets of front or rear wheels to make them all equal size, it will save a lot of money in the long run. I don't skimp on tires but I don't buy really expensive ones either, I buy Continental, Kuhmo, Michelin(if there is a good deal), Pirelli, etc. I would never get a cheap Chinese tire. The Dunlop All Seasons that were on my GS are universally hated, thought I would be changing them out shortly after owning the car reading reviews but I don't think they are bad at all or maybe because I have not felt the difference between them and a better tire I am unaware they aren't good, who knows but I will keep them until it is time to change them based on my experience so far.
Old 06-27-19, 04:22 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,301 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Yes it does. Another factor is I decided to skip the 55k service (more like checkup). So the $980 won't feel too bad in my opinion.
I get it, I'm all about saving money at times to. But I'm also a believer of not taking shortcuts all the time. It's certain things you sign up for when you get a luxury car (every once in a while high service charge).
While the 'service interval' may be 60k miles for replacing the spark plugs, there is no harm in not replacing them...unlike other service items like engine oil, filters and various fluids that if not replaced can cause unnecessary wear or make your car wear out sooner. Your consideration of whether to replace the spark plugs doesn't even matter how long you plan to keep the car. You can get rid of the car twelve months from now, or 12 years from now, and it won't make one iota of difference in how the car will perform or drive during your ownership.

If you want to follow the recommended service intervals for spark plugs, that's perfectly fine...but those OE spark plugs will still be performing just like new ones far beyond double the recommended service interval. Iridium spark plugs will last well over 200,000 miles with no (repeat NO) diminish in fuel mileage or performance.

Your car's basic warranty has ended except for the Emission Control Warranty. Replacing the spark plugs at 60k miles is 'Required under the terms of the Emission Control Warranty'. That is the only reason why the spark plugs are to be replaced. Therefore, if you are not concerned with voiding the Emission Control Warranty, then there is no need to replace the spark plugs. You are essentially paying money (to replace your spark plugs) to insure (e.g. insurance policy) that your Emission Control Warranty remains in intact through 100k miles. If your gut tells you that your Emission Control might need expensive repair work sometime before you put another 40k miles on the car, then you might want to flip a coin to see if you should spend a sizable amount of money on replacing your spark plugs. I personally would not replace the spark plugs.

There is also no need (zilch) to replace the brake fluid. Toyota (owner of the Lexus brand) does not ever (never) list in their recommended maintenance service to replace brake fluid. It is not needed, and worthless to do so.

Your 60k service should include changing the engine oil and oil filter, and replacing the engine air filter and cabin air filter, but only if needed. (The two air filters can be bought for $70 and replaced in five minutes...or you can pay the dealer $170 for the filters and an hour of labor.) All other items on the 60k service are merely checks or inspections.

The dealer will charge you ~$100.00 to change your oil and oil filter. Add for the two air filters (if needed)... If you want to spend $980 with your dealer - so be it, but it's totally unneeded.

Last edited by bclexus; 06-27-19 at 07:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ItzFilyO (06-27-19)
Old 06-27-19, 07:03 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Originally Posted by pacmanmmc
20K a year on on 13 GS.
I'm 500 shy of 60k
I'm at 92k on 13 gsh
Old 06-29-19, 03:57 PM
dwayne4lex
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is really good information as usual. I to am a person who would rather go to the dealership for peace of mind, but I have been seriously debating on when to switch to a cheaper maintenance option. I will more than likely switch to a local mechanic after the basic warranty expires. I’m fairly handy so I can do the simple maintenance like filters and oil changes, but won’t even attempt changing spark plugs. Maybe I will start doing al la carte maintenance at the dealership until the basic warranty expires.
Old 06-29-19, 06:27 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dwayne4lex
This is really good information as usual. I to am a person who would rather go to the dealership for peace of mind, but I have been seriously debating on when to switch to a cheaper maintenance option. I will more than likely switch to a local mechanic after the basic warranty expires. I’m fairly handy so I can do the simple maintenance like filters and oil changes, but won’t even attempt changing spark plugs. Maybe I will start doing al la carte maintenance at the dealership until the basic warranty expires.
Spark plugs are actually very easy to change in these cars.