GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why so many leasees ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-15, 10:39 AM
randuff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been a Finance Director for a car dealership for many, many years. I think a good word of advice is to buy things that appreciate and lease things that depreciate. I think JP Getty said that.

That being said, it isn't the same for any 2 people and I think the situation depends on many contributing factors. I have a lot of clients who come in unwilling to lease simply because they don't understand it. Many vehicles simply do not lease well but most Lexus vehicles do. Also sometimes the manufacturer incentivizes the dealers to push their product and you get overinflated residuals and ridiculous money factors that make it hard to say no.

I think you just need to weigh your options and ask questions. Hopefully you will get an Finance Manager who is willing to help out. And by the way, I purchased my 2014 GS 350 opposed to leasing it
Old 05-05-15, 12:22 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by randuff
I think a good word of advice is to buy things that appreciate and lease things that depreciate.

Bingo

I think many people dont understand leases. For example try talking to your parents (or any other older car owners) about leasing a car instead of owning, theyll give you the most perplexed look

For me I just cant see myself
A: putting major money down to purchase something that depreciates
B: paying $800 a month for 5-6 years

MEAHT
Old 05-05-15, 12:22 PM
jaime1982
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been a Finance Director for a car dealership for many, many years. I think a good word of advice is to buy things that appreciate and lease things that depreciate. I think JP Getty said that.

That being said, it isn't the same for any 2 people and I think the situation depends on many contributing factors. I have a lot of clients who come in unwilling to lease simply because they don't understand it. Many vehicles simply do not lease well but most Lexus vehicles do. Also sometimes the manufacturer incentivizes the dealers to push their product and you get overinflated residuals and ridiculous money factors that make it hard to say no.

I think you just need to weigh your options and ask questions. Hopefully you will get an Finance Manager who is willing to help out. And by the way, I purchased my 2014 GS 350 opposed to leasing it
I didnt lease my 15 Gs either. I dont like rules and restrictions plus I like to do what I want to my car without things like penalties or over mileage charges. We live out in the Houston burbs so Its easy to put 100+miles on the car per day when Im off and we get to go out (our first tank only lasted 4 days). I bought it on the 30th and needed to fuel up yesterday.

We also like to travel to visit family and friends in San Antonio and South Texas. Those miles can and do add up quick.

Last edited by jaime1982; 05-05-15 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-05-15, 12:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

budget can be an issue but it wasn't my issue. lexus has great lease deals on the gs so there is little reason to buy. the car depreciates faster than the lease payments.
Old 05-05-15, 06:44 PM
ITDude
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lexus throws most of its incentive money at leases. They seem to be pushing a program where they want you back for a new car every 3 years. Unfortunately, I am a high mileage driver, around 25K miles a year, so a lease is not a good option for me. I just bought a 2015 GS 350, even though I know with my mileage I should be buying something used. I rationalized that I'm in a car enough that I could justify purchasing a new GS!

I'm hoping in a year or two that I can get my mileage down and start leasing cars instead of purchasing. I like to get into the mode where I just make car payments, without high maintenance cost, and drive a car a new car every three years. Lexus had great resale/residual values, so I would think for most a lease would be the better option.