GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4th Gen GS 350 longevity

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-19, 06:34 PM
uibalnme
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

2013 GS350 F-Sport RWD. Bought it in ‘16 with 75k on the clock. Shortly after, I drained and refilled the transmission fluid and differential gear oil, changed the spark plugs, installed RR Racing front lower control arm bushings, and added a front strut tower bar. Since then, I just change the oil, oil filter and air filter every 6k.

Now, at 120k, there are no major issues to report. The only issue was a minor one. The moonroof rattle, which was solved with a new seal.

Even though it’s high mileage, I still push the car hard sometimes and it’s never skipped a beat. It still drives like new.
Old 06-15-19, 07:04 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No, he WAY over maintains his car. Changing the oil with synthetic every 3k miles is obsessive maintenance and isn't at all neccisary.

Just follow the manufacturer's schedule and you will be fine. Diff stands for differential.
If you’re worried about extending the life of your oil, consider switching to synthetic oil. It costs more, but lasts longer and performs better than traditional petroleum-based motor oils.

The 3,000-mile oil change is a myth that should be laid to rest. Vehicles are so sophisticated that oil is one of the last things that customers can have a direct influence over. Part of the blame for this over-servicing lies in our insecurities about increasingly complicated engines that are all but inaccessible to the average driver. Pop open the hood of a modern car, and a mass of plastic covers wall off the engine. On some vehicles, the only thing an owner can easily access is the oil cap. Vehicles are so sophisticated that oil is one of the last things that customers can have a direct influence over. There's maybe some feeling that they're taking care of their vehicle if they change their oil more often. Who knows....
Old 06-15-19, 09:38 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryJG
If you’re worried about extending the life of your oil, consider switching to synthetic oil. It costs more, but lasts longer and performs better than traditional petroleum-based motor oils.

The 3,000-mile oil change is a myth that should be laid to rest. Vehicles are so sophisticated that oil is one of the last things that customers can have a direct influence over. Part of the blame for this over-servicing lies in our insecurities about increasingly complicated engines that are all but inaccessible to the average driver. Pop open the hood of a modern car, and a mass of plastic covers wall off the engine. On some vehicles, the only thing an owner can easily access is the oil cap. Vehicles are so sophisticated that oil is one of the last things that customers can have a direct influence over. There's maybe some feeling that they're taking care of their vehicle if they change their oil more often. Who knows....
It's because there's an entire (likely many millions or billions of dollars) industry around getting people to waste money on oil changes and other services they didn't need. When such things exist they tend to get reinforced by the people that profit the most from it. Eventually because of stuff discovered by Joesef Goebbels, a "lie repeated often enough becomes the truth." I think most high profit service centers/dealers/ etc operate off of George Costanza's logic when it comes to stuff like oil changes, brake fluid changes, coolant flushes, etc... These an entire likely billions of dollars in the auto industry based off getting people to buy services they don't need....

Worse yet various myths about cars persist far beyond oil changes......

-Mike

Last edited by drgrant; 06-15-19 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-15-19, 10:28 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

Oil volatility is at its greatest in the first 3000 miles after an oil change. After that the volatility reduces and the oil stabilises.

Volatility is particularly bad for a DI engine because all of the lost fractions exit via the PCV system. Much of it goes out through the rocker cover vent, into the intake, through the turbo compressor and intercooler, then puddles in the bottom of the inlet manifold where it combines with the stuff coming through the PCV valve to coat the inlet valves and combustion chambers in gunk.

By changing your oil at 3000 miles, you are subjecting your engine to oil that is almost always in the initial boil-off phase. It's contaminating and filling your engine with gunk. Contrary to popular and uninformed opinion, oil that is 10,000 miles old is not likely to be harmful, and would certainly be less harmful than fresh oil.

Due to high detergent action and surface competition fresh oil will show much higher wear for the first 1000 miles on a hard driven engine. (detergent v. ep/aw/fm)
Old 06-18-19, 07:34 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryJG
Oil volatility is at its greatest in the first 3000 miles after an oil change. After that the volatility reduces and the oil stabilises.

Volatility is particularly bad for a DI engine because all of the lost fractions exit via the PCV system. Much of it goes out through the rocker cover vent, into the intake, through the turbo compressor and intercooler, then puddles in the bottom of the inlet manifold where it combines with the stuff coming through the PCV valve to coat the inlet valves and combustion chambers in gunk.

By changing your oil at 3000 miles, you are subjecting your engine to oil that is almost always in the initial boil-off phase. It's contaminating and filling your engine with gunk. Contrary to popular and uninformed opinion, oil that is 10,000 miles old is not likely to be harmful, and would certainly be less harmful than fresh oil.

Due to high detergent action and surface competition fresh oil will show much higher wear for the first 1000 miles on a hard driven engine. (detergent v. ep/aw/fm)
Lol this car doesn't have turbo and I bet if you put a catch can on the PCV on a 2GRFSE or FKS, under normal conditions (eg not dragging it or running it on a race track) you're going to end up with hardly anything in that can at 3000 miles never mind 5000. These cars do not "burn/use oil" much at all unless placed under serious duty. In 10K I would be surprised if the cars are even down a whole quart. Also these cars are not typical DI, there's ALSO port injector on every cylinder as well that helps keep the valves you just talked about clean.

Changing oil at 3K is basically insane but more because it's a gigantic waste of time/money (eg, setting cash on fire) however, I find the argument that it would hurt the car to be kind of absurd. Otherwise we'd be hearing about it more often and tribologists would be using it as marketing pap/schlock all the time EG: "did you know? changing your oil too early can be harmful?" etc. This argument just doesn't pass the sniff test, or at least it sure as hell doesn't with regards to most current Lexus/Toyota V6 or V8 mills. Maybe it does with the few turbos they have? (old 2JZ, etc?) Or the 2.0 liter in the 200T etc? /boggle.
Old 06-18-19, 09:26 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I change my oil around 10k miles, sometimes more, use mobile1 high mileage oil and factory filter, never an issue. Sometimes i end up running to 12k miles when I actually get around to the oil change, again not a single issue, 92k miles on the car motor runs great. Gotta love Lexus/Toyota. Of course if they recommend 10k mile oil changes there is plenty of margin to go longer because Toyota/Lexus underestimate the intervals for the oil changes on purpose.
Old 06-19-19, 03:56 AM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

oil change intervals depend on your usage. ive been sending my samples to terry dyson for thorough in depth analysis and i can tell you, based on the data, i would NOT run the oil out to 10k miles. he has come up with a maintenance routine to help me fix some issues and get the contamination and wear levels optimal. the fuel dilution in my samples have been high and you dont want high levels of gas in your oil for extended periods of time.
Old 06-19-19, 06:55 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Agree the manufacturers are conservative. Had a BMW 330i for 11 years. They recommended oil change every 15000 miles. I used to change on average 16000-17000 miles. Had the car to 211000. No engines issues. I did the same on the IS350. Used to change the oil every 11000 to 12000 miles (recommended 10000). No issues after 86000 miles. Also tend to drive my cars very hard.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (06-20-19)
Old 06-25-19, 07:36 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

I had a 2GS that is still running great at over 250k, a 3GS that is also running great with 0 problems at around 120k. The problem one has been the 4GS at 120k which is basically same engine as the 3GS and maybe unlucky but something happened where the car will no longer start and I could not figure out the problem either for the first time. Will lose connection with OBDII and Techstream after 15 seconds or so. Car is going to get towed to Lexus soon. Surprised because I have had amazing reliability in my Lexus cars and usually could repair them with ease but this recent problem fares even more difficult to diagnose than my Gallardo.
Old 07-18-19, 03:31 AM
rayjazz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG24
I’m about to cross 105k. Car is 2013 purchased certified with 30k. I recently had radio replaced under warranty for a ticking sound it would make, after it was turned off, but while still driving. Biggest disappointment is the paint on the front bumper. Too many chips too count. Should have purchased the protective film. Second disappointment are the second set of tires. It came with the Dunlop’s but they were so poorly rated on tire rack that I switched. I managed to get 50k miles out of those tires. Purchased the new Bridgestone RE980AS. Supposed to be a 55k mile tire. Most recent service visit, dealer says I need new tires, and it’s only 20k miles. Yikes. The Bridgestone encourage sport mode and I think that’s the problem. All in all a great car so far. Since I drive so much I’m doing service every 10k and not 5k.
Hi,
I have the same radio issue. Did you fix that with the extended warranty? I purchased the extended warranty and if it covers the radio issue, I would love to give a try.
Old 07-18-19, 03:45 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by rayjazz
Hi,
I have the same radio issue. Did you fix that with the extended warranty? I purchased the extended warranty and if it covers the radio issue, I would love to give a try.

I fixed the issue on my GS a couple years ago:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post9825783

The problem was a single 40mm fan inside the head unit. I just replaced it with one I got on Amazon and problem solved. There is a lot of disassembly involved with taking apart the radio. Taking pics along the way helps, also bagging and tagging the parts.

If your not interested in that, you can get a radio on on eBay or car-part.com for several hundred dollars and swap them out.
I found this one at a junkyard in Canada for $160 USD

But then again if it's a 2013 Radio there is a change the used one has the same problem or will develop it later on.
Old 07-18-19, 08:20 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 251 Posts

Moving parts are always the weak link in electronics, esp fans, had a very similar issue w my 2GS ML Amp.
Old 07-19-19, 10:31 AM
crashman
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
Anyone here have a 4th gen with high mileage on it? Wondering about long term observations. I am planning on getting a GS 350 and I'm the type of person who keeps a car at least 6+ years on average. My dad owns an ES 330 thats about 10 now (with at least like 176K on it) and the thing still runs great,, I imagine similar longevity is possible with a GS 350 without too much drama. My main goal is that I can get it to last at least till about 225K or so. Car will be used 80% highway driving 20% city on avg.

-Mike
I have a 2014 AWD GS, and I'm coming up on 100,000 miles with no complaints. Still feels solid and I do keep up on all of maintenance.
The following users liked this post:
drgrant (07-22-19)
Old 07-19-19, 06:27 PM
KenCan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all.

I have 215k miles on my 2013 4GS awd.

i can definitely say this is a long lasting and reliable vehicle. No major issues.

currently dealing with headlights blinking and turning off. Trunk latch had to be replaced.

Other than that it has only been regular maintenance on wear and tear items.
Old 07-20-19, 02:02 AM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by KenCan
Hello all.

I have 215k miles on my 2013 4GS awd.

i can definitely say this is a long lasting and reliable vehicle. No major issues.

currently dealing with headlights blinking and turning off. Trunk latch had to be replaced.

Other than that it has only been regular maintenance on wear and tear items.
damn thats high mileage!

Quick Reply: 4th Gen GS 350 longevity