A Little Unhappy with F Sport AWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 03:43 PM
antonios32
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeller
^^^^^
think your right about the difference in wheels, 18 inchers vs 19 now on 2015.
lol u know u could just quote right?
Old 06-18-15, 05:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I'm somebody who quotes a lot, but I don't see the need to quote a post when its right above your post.
Old 06-18-15, 08:12 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCanada
The ECU can tell when you are driving aggressively, and it will keep the RPM's up when you are. If you drive normally in sport mode, it will shift normally.
But from what I understand, OP's car is not working this way. And what I was saying is that my GS is my first car that will shift normal in sport mode.
Old 06-19-15, 09:37 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCanada
If you drive normally in sport mode, it will shift normally.
Originally Posted by sick21
And what I was saying is that my GS is my first car that will shift normal in sport mode.
I believe what the OP is saying is - when in Sport Mode 'automatic' (not manual) when he goes WOT for maybe one or two upshifts and then he lifts off the gas, the transmission will remain in the last gear and not upshift to a higher gear for a period of a few [long] seconds. This is in contrast to how Normal or ECO Modes operate in 'automatic' (not manual), which is - when the driver lifts off the gas from WOT the transmission will upshift right away to a one, two or three gears higher based on ground speed.

Of course, (what the OP does not know/understand is) when in Sport Mode 'automatic' (not manual) the transmission is supposed to automatically remain [for a period of time] in the last gear the driver was in when he was at WOT even though he lifts completely off the gas. The reason why is because remaining in this same lower gear aids the driver when aggressively driving - such as a road course...as the driver will be at WOT on a 'straight' section of the course prior to approaching his next turn, and he will lift off the gas (and likely brake too) as he goes into a turn, and then he will apply a bit of throttle to 'set' or 'load' the suspension in the early part of the turn, and then he will get back on the throttle near the apex of the turn as he comes out of the turn going into anther 'straight' at WOT again. As you can see - the driver wants his transmission to remain in the last gear he was in as he goes through the turn so he has maximum HP and torque to come back out of that turn. If anything, the road course driver will need to brake hard and will want to downshift to an even lower gear as he goes into a sharp turn after just being at WOT in a higher gear on the straight'. The last thing he wants is for the transmission to automatically upshift one or two or three gears because he lifts off the gas as he goes into a turn. Plus, the driver has the ability to downshift with the steering wheel paddle shifter if need-be...and on the road course's 'straights' the driver knows the transmission will automatically upshift to the next higher gear at each redline when at WOT. This is the beauty of the Sport Mode's 'automatic' shifting parameters.

And, like has been said - 'If you drive normally in Sport Mode, it will shift normally (at a higher RPM to a higher gear).' But, if you have been at WOT (and lift) the transmission will remain in that same gear you were in for a period of time...on purpose (for the reason stated above).

Last edited by bclexus; 06-19-15 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-22-15, 05:37 AM
luvdalexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the responses. I am glad to hear that the transmission holding on to the gear a little longer is normal and it makes sense.

I will definitely look into the intake.

No way on the ES.

Maybe I should have spent some more time test driving.

Thanks again for the responses.
Old 06-22-15, 06:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts
Default A Little Unhappy with F Sport AWD

In general, when you see the word "sport" in a trim line of a vehicle it means that smooth and quiet operation is going to take a backseat to sharper handling and a more connected feel to the car. If you want the smoothest, quietest car possible as you do...and as I do...never buy the "sport model"