GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

iPhone 6, how did I do that with Google maps?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-15, 06:15 PM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default iPhone 6, how did I do that with Google maps?

Just had to go pick someone up and rather than use the cars navi I used Google maps on my phone. I entered the address into Google maps and started driving. I was surprised by the voice guidance coming through the system via the iPhone, which I've never heard before.
On the return trip I put my address into Google maps, but no voice guidance came through the car or the iPhone ?
How did I get Google maps voice guidance to come through the vehicles speakers in the first place, and I wonder why it didn't work on the return trip?

Thoughts anyone?
Old 06-25-15, 08:35 PM
Hockeyjock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have your audio source selected to Bluetooth I believe the guidance along with most other apps on your phone with audio will play through the cars speakers.
Old 06-26-15, 07:52 AM
jamodeo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hockeyjock
If you have your audio source selected to Bluetooth I believe the guidance along with most other apps on your phone with audio will play through the cars speakers.
This, and if you have the usb plugged into the car and the phone, and playing music it should also come through. That being said, if you have it plugged in, and are listening to the radio, you may have to change the audio source from dock connector to bluetooth. The audio can also be muted in the google maps app so make sure that isn't the case. To change audio destination, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and hit the button on the right that says "Dock Connector" and choose "CAR MULTIMEDIA" or whatever your bluetooth is called in your car.

-Joe
Old 06-26-15, 08:01 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Any way to turn up the volume on google maps aside from the volume buttons?

The Apple maps volume levels can be adjusted from the settings. It helps to have a louder guidance when ur playing music through the Bluetooth stream. I found that google maps guidance voice to be too soft to hear when a music is on. The apple maps is better for navigation.
Old 06-26-15, 09:13 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

If you're paired, it should work. I've discovered that the Google Maps on my iphone is less of a hassle than the GS's Nav system.

When I start the car, the iPhone pairs almost immediately (it shows on the BT tab on the screen). I can use Siri (with the car's mic), play Spotify, including the turn-by-turn voice from Google Maps.
Old 06-26-15, 11:23 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Google maps works significantly better than my GS's Navi and is much easier to use, not to mention being up to date!
Maybe I'll try apple's product again, but the last few times I used it in our major cities (this year) it got confused and gave me improper directions

So I played around with G.M. to find out how/why I started getting the voice in the first place and what caused it to stop working. It was already paired and the phone and music worked fine.

- I had turned on message notifications the other day, to get message notifications as per another thread.
- After closing the G.M. app, no voice in car or on iphone. BT is still showing connected though and dialing out on the ph. via the vehicle still works.
- Turning BT off on the phone and back on, I loose the BT connection in the car, so no BT at all.
- Tell the car to re-connect with the phone and voila everything works again.

So there seems to be a glitch when G.M. app is closed then re-opened, but at least I have a work around now.
I'm going to try Apple Maps to see if it does the same thing when closed and re-opened after BT has already established a connection.
Old 06-27-15, 11:19 AM
99alta
Intermediate

It appears as though the iPhone uses the cars message system to communicate to the cars BT service when the Info. system is set to play music on anything but BT.

So if I have FM selected as my music source, I have to have Google Maps up and running when I start up the car for sound from GM/iphone to the vehicles message system. Each prompt from GM causes the info display to show receiving message and you hear the voice.
If you shut down GM while the car is running and start it back up I don't get anymore voice commands from the car or iphone? And have to reconnect BT on both on the phone and car?

Yesterday I switched the ML system's source to BT when GM voice quit coming through the cars speaker and the voice now came through the cars speaker again. However I noticed it the message system screen doesn't flash on and off anymore?
So it looks like BT is using a different profile to communicate to the car when the iPhone and Google Maps is running. Then gets confused when it loses it signal from that BT profile and can't reconnect unless rebooted?

I have no idea if this is a glitch in the phone/car or just normal behavior?

How about you guys are you always able to hear voice commands from google maps (or other apps I assume) when your music source is something other than BT?
Old 06-28-15, 04:25 PM
mikenj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by islandbeef
If you're paired, it should work. I've discovered that the Google Maps on my iphone is less of a hassle than the GS's Nav system.

When I start the car, the iPhone pairs almost immediately (it shows on the BT tab on the screen). I can use Siri (with the car's mic), play Spotify, including the turn-by-turn voice from Google Maps.
And how do you use SIRI with the car's mic? With my iphone 6 connected via bluetooh when I press the voice button on the steering wheel I get the Lexus voice control instead

-Mike
Old 06-29-15, 09:46 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikenj
And how do you use SIRI with the car's mic? With my iphone 6 connected via bluetooh when I press the voice button on the steering wheel I get the Lexus voice control instead

-Mike
Press and hold the off-hook button instead, and Siri will be happy to talk with you
Old 06-29-15, 11:17 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Originally Posted by mikenj

-Mike
Press the iPhone button and Siri will be speaking to you via the car speakers, talk back to her via the car's mic. Since the mic quality sucks (due to AC vent or wind noise), be sure you check your phone for spelling and grammar errors (for hands free texting).
Old 06-30-15, 04:56 PM
99alta
Intermediate

Why not use the hands free feature islandbeef, why **** around with the phone?

Siri will read back what she thinks you said, and then you confirm it and she sends it. From my experience it works well.
Old 07-01-15, 03:36 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Originally Posted by 99alta
Why not use the hands free feature islandbeef, why **** around with the phone?

Siri will read back what she thinks you said, and then you confirm it and she sends it. From my experience it works well.
I have a 2013, perhaps the tech hasn't been perfected yet. Thus, the workaround and having to ***** with my phone?

/shrugs
Old 07-01-15, 04:46 PM
99alta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by islandbeef
I have a 2013, perhaps the tech hasn't been perfected yet. Thus, the workaround and having to ***** with my phone?

/shrugs
Islandbeef, we probably won't be around by the time they perfect it ! LOL

Unless someone develops and builds everything in the car (which isn't going to happen anymore) there are going to be glitch's as one company TRIES to integrate different companies technologies, which are then built by yet another company..... It's frustrating but not limited to vehicles.

You should see the resources and $$ we spend in a Petrochemical plant TRYING to Integrate new technologies that are specifically designed to work together but all to often don't !
It's flipping insane, and these aren't your regular consumer type items!