GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Very Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-15, 12:25 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by KJD3
Definitely a very interesting read. Thank you! I had no idea about any of that.
You are very welcome. Now you know. Knowledge is power!
Old 06-26-15, 01:00 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS

Its not a question of "taking" the car. He has the car, he took delivery, the deal is done.
Yea but the dealer did not disclose it, so its not over. Isnt a new bumper + paint + install over $1000? If I walked in there and asked for my perfectly new bumper to be replaced a dealer would probably charge me more than $2000. If you can go somewhere to spend $60k on a car and it can be sold to you with this damage with no repercussions then theres definitely an issue with the car buying system.
Old 06-26-15, 01:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

What my dealership is willing to do was replace the bumper and repaint it. For my troubles they're going to clear bra the front bumper (after 45 days and the paint cures), the hood to the top of the wheel well, the fenders also to the top of the wheel well, and the mirrors.
Thats a very reasonable thing for the dealer to do, I would take them up on that.

Originally Posted by MEAHT
Yea but the dealer did not disclose it, so its not over. Isnt a new bumper + paint + install over $1000? If I walked in there and asked for my perfectly new bumper to be replaced a dealer would probably charge me more than $2000. If you can go somewhere to spend $60k on a car and it can be sold to you with this damage with no repercussions then theres definitely an issue with the car buying system.
They don't have to disclose it.

1. They didn't know, it was done by the previous dealer.
2. How does one determine "$1,000"? it doesn't cost the dealer $1,000 to repaint the bumper. A new bumper is about $450 retail, what do you think it is wholesale? Labor to paint it from the dealer is free.

I've had a lot of bumpers repaired and replaced on cars, including Lexus cars. Never anywhere close to $2,000, thats absurd. If the bumper was replaced and completely repainted it might cost $1,000-$1,200 from a quite expensive shop. Thats retail, doesn't cost them that because its their shop.

I spent $80,000 on a car and it had a damaged bumper, they repainted it at no cost to me and that was that. What "repercussions"? Its a car...its not a donated kidney. They get damaged, they can be fixed.
Old 06-26-15, 01:20 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

The problem I see with this (pertaining to the KY statute) is that the dealer will simply state that their (the dealer's) repair cost was under $1,000, therefore they had no duty to disclose the damage to the buyer.

The threshold in the amount of damage that must be disclosed to the seller is the amount that was (past tense) spent by the dealer to make those repairs. It is not what it would cost a customer to have those same repairs done. However, to actually satisfy the customer (if the dealer is even willing to do so) a second-pass at making repairs may indeed cost in excess of the $1,000 threshold figure, which could be a point of contention between customer and dealer...and that new, higher repair figure could be used to the buyer's advantage in contesting whether it was fair to the buyer not to disclose the damage.

Last edited by bclexus; 06-26-15 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-26-15, 01:22 PM
user420
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swfla
I'd be disappointed too. Just like when I found out that women commonly fake an orgasm. It was a perfect ride until I found out the truth Then I realized it was still a good ride, no matter.
Very well put sir, very well put......
Old 06-26-15, 01:23 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

1. They didn't know, it was done by the previous dealer.
-dont they inspect before taking delivery? if so (as all dealers do) then it was known.

2. How does one determine "$1,000"? it doesn't cost the dealer $1,000 to repaint the bumper. A new bumper is about $450 retail, what do you think it is wholesale? Labor to paint it from the dealer is free.
-You determine this by how much it costs..simple. The bumper is 450$ retail, another 300-500 to paint and another 2 hours to install it. Come on on we all know dealers dont charge at cost or "free to paint" as you say, theyre going to charge 300% of what it really cost. I can put on a bumper in about 10 minutes, dealers will charge 2 hours for this! And paint for free? Id love to see a dealer say this...

If the bumper was replaced and completely repainted it might cost $1,000-$1,200 from a quite expensive shop. Thats retail, doesn't cost them that because its their shop.
-Again, all logic and good math go out the window, these are dealers we are talking about, where servicing cars is where the profit is at.

I spent $80,000 on a car and it had a damaged bumper, they repainted it at no cost to me and that was that. What "repercussions"? Its a car...its not a donated kidney. They get damaged, they can be fixed.
-I understand you copped an expensive car, If i would have paid 80k for a car with a messed up bumper I would not sleep till something serious is done beside "trade bumper with another". It can be fixed but if this ended up in your car fax, you just paid 80k for a car thats now worth 75k because of a previous bumper replacement, and that's before depreciation.

Let me be the angry consumer for a sec...without thinkin of the absurd car dealer laws an regulations!

MEAHT
Old 06-26-15, 01:26 PM
KJD3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Disappointed

I also forgot to mention that the dealership had already repaired 2 wheels for curb rash which I found during the prepurchase inspection. The dealer had to send it out to one of their contractors to have them fixed, which could possibly add to the "damages" but that may be pushing it.

I called the dealership and told them to hold off on repairs till they hear from corporate on Monday, and to let them make the final decision on which route to take. Both the dealership and corporate are both aware of the KY statue that bclexus posted about. Again I'm not going to raise hell, it's up to them to decide what to do, they know what I'd like for them to do, and are now aware of the KRS.
Old 06-26-15, 01:35 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Diminished Value is a real number. The OP may want to make himself aware of DV Rule 17c. His insurance company/agent may offer some insight and assistance with a written statement - keeping in mind that 17c favors the insurance company.
Old 06-26-15, 01:37 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I also forgot to mention that the dealership had already repaired 2 wheels for curb rash which I found during the prepurchase inspection. The dealer had to send it out to one of their contractors to have them fixed, which could possibly add to the "damages" but that may be pushing it.

I called the dealership and told them to hold off on repairs till they hear from corporate on Monday, and to let them make the final decision on which route to take. Both the dealership and corporate are both aware of the KY statue that bclexus posted about. Again I'm not going to raise hell, it's up to them to decide what to do, they know what I'd like for them to do, and are now aware of the KRS.
Why are you taking the position that it is up to them to make the final decision? You are the one that has been damaged!
Old 06-26-15, 01:54 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

These cars already have a bad resale value, u add that to the list.

If I'm paying a brand new price, I demand a brand new product that's still in the plastic wrap!
Old 06-26-15, 02:04 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Have you created a Lexus Drivers account and entered your car's VIN to see what entries were made to the Service History for your car (e.g. wheel repairs, repaint bumper, detailing, etc.)?
Old 06-26-15, 04:23 PM
KJD3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Disappointed

Originally Posted by bclexus
Have you created a Lexus Drivers account and entered your car's VIN to see what entries were made to the Service History for your car (e.g. wheel repairs, repaint bumper, detailing, etc.)?
Not yet, I'll do it as soon as I get home from work.
Old 06-26-15, 05:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

-dont they inspect before taking delivery? if so (as all dealers do) then it was known.
He had the car for two weeks and didn't notice the issue. They inspected it at PDI but didn't notice. Same with my car.

-You determine this by how much it costs..simple. The bumper is 450$ retail, another 300-500 to paint and another 2 hours to install it. Come on on we all know dealers dont charge at cost or "free to paint" as you say, theyre going to charge 300% of what it really cost. I can put on a bumper in about 10 minutes, dealers will charge 2 hours for this! And paint for free? Id love to see a dealer say this...
It has to cost the dealer more than $1000...and the dealer is always going to say its less than $1000. The dealer doesn't charge themselves for their own work...thats my point. What it costs a consumer is meaningless.

-Again, all logic and good math go out the window, these are dealers we are talking about, where servicing cars is where the profit is at.
I don't understand your point. I just had a bumper repainted and replaced on the Sedona by my shop, one of the best and most expensive in the area and it cost $1,200. Had the front bumper repainted and replaced on my 2010 ES and the cost was $1,100. It doesn't cost $2,000 to repaint and replace a bumper. I'm not estimating or guessing here, these are the actual costs.

-I understand you copped an expensive car, If i would have paid 80k for a car with a messed up bumper I would not sleep till something serious is done beside "trade bumper with another". It can be fixed but if this ended up in your car fax, you just paid 80k for a car thats now worth 75k because of a previous bumper replacement, and that's before depreciation.
Quite frankly...then you need to find some perspective in your life. Seriously...its just a car. You wouldn't sleep? Seriously? Bumpers are repaired and replaced every day, its not on the Carfax (I have never had a bumper replacement show up on a carfax) and as far as resale, most Lexus dealers repaint bumpers as a part of CPO. Theres no diminished value from a repainted bumper.

Let me be the angry consumer for a sec...without thinkin of the absurd car dealer laws an regulations!
Being an angry consumer gets you nowhere. The dealer will NOT give you a new car because of a damaged bumper. They're just not going to do that, its an unreasonable request and quite frankly your business isn't worth the loss they would take. So you can rant and rave and refuse to sleep all you want...its not going to happen. All you're doing is tormenting yourself by even considering that as an option.

They're replacing and repainting his bumper and he's getting a $700 value clear bra out of the deal. There literally isn't anything more the dealer can do or should do.
Old 06-26-15, 05:07 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

I'd also be worried about the curb rash messing up the alignment or suspension...
Old 06-26-15, 05:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95bat
I'd also be worried about the curb rash messing up the alignment or suspension...
Because every time somebody scuffs a wheel it damages the alignment or suspension? Come on...quit trying to invent problems guys.

Quick Reply: Very Disappointed