GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Very Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-15, 08:01 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Do u have a bigger resolution pic? cause that one is so tiny.
Old 06-28-15, 08:07 PM
KJD3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Do u have a bigger resolution pic? cause that one is so tiny.
Yeah, hopefully this is better. I also included another one where the fender and the hood don't really match right above the head light. I mean I might be grabbing at straws here but it doesn't look right to me.

Old 06-28-15, 09:19 PM
kmm
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I saw my car while still covered with the plastic wrap the car carried from Japan and the hood was slightly misaligned from the fender. Adjusted the rubber stops under the hood and it lined right up.
Old 06-30-15, 04:28 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by KJD3
Thanks!

I think what I've decided to do is give corporate two options.

1. Replace the vehicle with one equipped the same or with one with more options.

2. Repair my vehicle (dealership still honors the clear bra), and take $10,000 of my residual when I go to buy it out. Yes, the vehicle is leased, which shouldn't matter to the dealerships or corporate, but I plan on buying it out regardless, and yes, $10,000 is a lot, but you always start high then come down, unless they agree to $10k

I'm willing to negotiate a fair outcome.
I think that if you had specified that this was a lease at the start of this thread, you would've gotten some different answers. Lexus should never deliver a repaired/damaged car as new without disclosure either way. So, if you buy the car at lease end, you'll want them to lower the residual, but if you walk away, you'll need them to raise the residual. Good luck with that.
Old 06-30-15, 05:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts
Default Very Disappointed

You'll also find that they'll reference "it's just a lease right?" During the negotiation. This occurred with my situation as well. The implication being that because it's a lease you should be willing to accept a less preferable repair. Obviously that's silly, and once I pointed that out they dropped that line of thinking.
Old 06-30-15, 07:17 AM
silguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i didn't read 5 pages of post, but I understand your frustrations. I've had similar situation w/ my first new car. But the truth is, you're not going to get a PERFECT car regardless of price. If you go to ANY car forum, people will complain about something. I'd say, look at the overall picture and enjoy the car for what it is. There's always going to be something whether you find it after you bought it or someone will ding your door while you're parked. What I was actually disappointed in, was the features in the car for a $50k car. I felt Lexus could've offered more. Not to mention the navigation sucks, IMO. Overall, I love the car and handles beautiful. Car feels bigger and roomier than what it is once you sit inside.
The only thing you can do is look for these things before you buy the car so you don't buy it and be at this stage. When I bought my first car(wasn't a lexus), i noticed bunch of scratches on the paint around the side mirrors AFTER i bought the car. I realized it was from the dealer putting balloon's on the car for advertisement. It was the strings that the balloons were tied to that kept rubbing the paint off when it's windy. I tried to take it back 5x and they wouldn't take it.
Anyways, good luck to you.
Old 06-30-15, 07:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Another idea. What about them swapping the factory painted front bumper off of another white F Sport on the lot? That way you have a factory painted bumper and the dealer doesn't have to take the car back.

They scratched the console in mine when they replaced the nav unit. They swapped the console top off another one on the lot.
Old 06-30-15, 07:30 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Another idea. What about them swapping the factory painted front bumper off of another white F Sport on the lot? That way you have a factory painted bumper and the dealer doesn't have to take the car back.
I like this idea AND it's reasonable enough that the dealer may do it.
Old 06-30-15, 07:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swfla
I like this idea AND it's reasonable enough that the dealer may do it.
This I know they can and will do. There's a member here who they did that for after the dealer damaged the bumper. I was going to try and get them to do that with mine but I was happy with the repair.
Old 06-30-15, 09:45 AM
user420
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW15LS

They scratched the console in mine when they replaced the nav unit. They swapped the console top off another one on the lot.
Sounds reasonable and plausible to me. Much more so than a new car. Who knows, but I am curious as to how this all turns out.
Old 06-30-15, 01:22 PM
KJD3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I just got home from the dealership and body shop, so here's the update.

My car is still at the body shop, they were in the process of painting it. I talked with the shop owner about what he thought had happened. He said that he thinks the transporter may have been in a rush to load the truck and may have accidently scrapped the bottom of the bumper while loading the car, or one of the dealerships parked too close to a curb and scrapped the bottom of the bumper. Whoever repainted it the first time left the bumper on the car and just taped off the section that needed to be repainted resulting in over spray and a shoddy job. My dealership ordered a new bumper, which is probably curing right now and should be put on the car tomorrow morning and returned to the dealership. After talking with the shop owner I do feel much better about the whole situation. Asking for a replacement car was an over reaction on my behalf as well as $10k off, but I still feel justified in asking corporate for compensation for mod money, I mean deminished value.

I'm hoping to get my car back Thursday or Friday at the latest, and to have a resolution with corporate tomorrow.

On a side note a couple of people were right when they said that damage is all too common during transport, the shop owner confirmed it. He said that my dealership brings cars to him all the time, it's usually nothing major like mine, but it does happen and all of his work is covered under Lexus's warranty.
Old 06-30-15, 01:54 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

I'm going to bring a magnifying glass and check every inch of the vehicle the next time I pick up a new car so stuff like this won't happen.

It's better to find this out before signing the papers than after.
Old 06-30-15, 01:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Glad to hear you feel better, and I hope that the finished job is perfect for you. The finished job on my bumper is perfect.

Originally Posted by KJD3
but I still feel justified in asking corporate for compensation for mod money,
You should, you deserve some sort of compensation for being without your new car and having to go through this instead of enjoying what you're paying for. They should give you something and I bet they will.

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I'm going to bring a magnifying glass and check every inch of the vehicle the next time I pick up a new car so stuff like this won't happen.
You really should.
Old 06-30-15, 01:59 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Jiminy Cricket here,

Glad its working out so far, but asking for a replacement car was not an overeaction, simply a natural defense against dealers, which 99% of the time come out on top. Asking for a replacement car means you mean business. It also happens to be THE NUMBER 1 RULE OF NEGOTATION! Ask for more than what you're expecting, so that when they do come back with a counter-offer it fits right into what you need to be satisfied.

And remember, no matter how successful you are, no matter how many companies you've sold before age of 22, never, ever ever lay down for any company or coorporation. Fight for what you think you deserve, ALWAYS. You're spending your hard earned money and deserve better. Always demand excellence.

Keep us posted.
Thanks

Jiminy Cricket
Old 06-30-15, 02:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MEAHT
And remember, no matter how successful you are, no matter how many companies you've sold before age of 22, never, ever ever lay down for any company or coorporation. Fight for what you think you deserve, ALWAYS. You're spending your hard earned money and deserve better. Always demand excellence.
Do you really want to go down this road again?

Lets look at the results. They offered to repaint the bumper and offer him a clearbra as compensation. He asked for a new car or a $10,000 reduction in the residual after your advice. He subsequently comes on and posts that his repainted bumper should be ready tomorrow...the response to his request for a new car was clearly no.

Asking for a new car changed absolutely nothing, the result he's accepting is the same resolution offered by the dealership from the get go. I said repeatedly, asking doesn't hurt, its really being willing to accept only that as an outcome...which you and others said was the only outcome he should accept.

Asking for a replacement car means you mean business. It also happens to be THE NUMBER 1 RULE OF NEGOTATION! Ask for more than what you're expecting, so that when they do come back with a counter-offer it fits right into what you need to be satisfied.
Unless the opening offer you give them is so ridiculous it alienates them to the point where you can't reach as positive an outcome for yourself as you otherwise would. Depending on the manner in which you ask and present the option of a new car, IMHO demanding that too forcefully would have that effect in this situation.

i.e. walk into the dealer and offer them $30,000 for a new GS. The chances of getting a serious offer from them at that point are greatly diminished.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-30-15 at 02:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Very Disappointed