GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Loose Door Panels

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-15, 07:54 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Who did Park Place use to tint your car?

ProTint in Plano removed my door panels, and they're back just like before. I watched him for a few minutes and it's no big deal to remove them. ProTint has a guy in their shop that is an ex-Lexus body man who knows exactly what he's doing.
Park place has their own tint shop
Old 07-02-15, 08:01 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,176 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnier6
Park place has their own tint shop
I didn't know that, but it doesn't surprise me since the Park Place Plano dealership is so new and the biggest in the U.S.. I wanted Huper Optik tint anyway, which I suspect they don't use.
Old 07-02-15, 08:07 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I didn't know that, but it doesn't surprise me since the Park Place Plano dealership is so new and the biggest in the U.S.. I wanted Huper Optik tint anyway, which I suspect they don't use.
I don't know what brand it was, but it is a ceramic tint....I went 20 on all the rear windows and 30 up front
Old 07-03-15, 08:14 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Here's how mine looks.

My driver's side is a bit loose and I've tried pushing it all the way in and it won't budge. It's not loose like it's going to fall off, it's still tight as hell if u try to pry it open. I think it's like that from the factory cause I don't see any clips unhook when peeking with a flashlight. I'm just going to leave it like that cause dealer will most likely screw it up even more anyway and I won't even know it.
Old 07-05-15, 06:43 PM
jarabanos
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Here's how mine looks.

My driver's side is a bit loose and I've tried pushing it all the way in and it won't budge. It's not loose like it's going to fall off, it's still tight as hell if u try to pry it open. I think it's like that from the factory cause I don't see any clips unhook when peeking with a flashlight. I'm just going to leave it like that cause dealer will most likely screw it up even more anyway and I won't even know it.
Thanks for posting these. Yea yours look pretty good and agree not worth it to risk them messing stuff up more than it is. Glad I have something to compare to now cuz mine are way worse!
Old 07-06-15, 03:50 PM
SSTG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just tinted my windows today...

There are (2) Blue push pins and (1) White push pin that have to come out of the door and be placed back in the panel to get the panel to sit flush against the door in that area.
I bet most installers try to just push the door panel back into place and that is where the problem is. My panels are 100% flush again and no noises.
Old 07-07-15, 07:28 AM
jarabanos
Driver

Originally Posted by SSTG
I just tinted my windows today...

There are (2) Blue push pins and (1) White push pin that have to come out of the door and be placed back in the panel to get the panel to sit flush against the door in that area.
I bet most installers try to just push the door panel back into place and that is where the problem is. My panels are 100% flush again and no noises.
This is really helpful information. Thank you! Where on the door are these push pins located?
Old 07-07-15, 09:12 AM
SSTG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jarabanos
This is really helpful information. Thank you! Where on the door are these push pins located?
The two Blue push pins are in the middle and lower areas of the door panel. The White pin is towards the top section. All (3) are along the outer portion of the panel in the questioned area.

I'm sorry, I wished I would have taken pics, but I was to worried about making sure nothing got damaged.
Old 07-07-15, 12:54 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Does anybody know how to remove the door panel? I may have to remove it first to get the stuck pins out.
Old 07-07-15, 03:15 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Yes. Fairly simple

3 screws to remove (behind the door lock/handle, under the door handle used to pull the door shut, under the window controls)
You will have to use a panel remover or screwdriver tip (covered with electrical tape) to remove the plastic cover from the door handle
Pop the window controls up from the front (curved) part. Pull up.
Remove the cloth liner in the bottom of the door handle use to close the door.

Then you can pull from the bottom to loosen the panel, remove the cable connections, there are 5 or 6 include the door cables, and the door is free.
Old 07-07-15, 03:22 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

here are some instructions I found by searching. Perhaps we should make this a sticky.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3P...enc/edit?pli=1
Old 07-07-15, 11:34 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
here are some instructions I found by searching. Perhaps we should make this a sticky.

Hey thanks a lot man! Really needed that picture instruction.

Well boys, looks like I've got work to do! I'd rather fix this car myself than letting a dealer touch it!
Old 07-08-15, 01:56 PM
jarabanos
Driver

Yes. Fairly simple

3 screws to remove (behind the door lock/handle, under the door handle used to pull the door shut, under the window controls)
You will have to use a panel remover or screwdriver tip (covered with electrical tape) to remove the plastic cover from the door handle
Pop the window controls up from the front (curved) part. Pull up.
Remove the cloth liner in the bottom of the door handle use to close the door.

Then you can pull from the bottom to loosen the panel, remove the cable connections, there are 5 or 6 include the door cables, and the door is free.

Thanks for this!
Old 07-08-15, 07:05 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Okay! I finally did it and yes it's much tighter now and no gap!!!

The tint shop really screwed it up, it was not hooked back properly. It's harder than it looks though but doable with lots patience and energy. I ended up replacing some clips too cause some are worn out already and 1 is missing.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 07-09-15 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-09-15, 08:15 AM
jarabanos
Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Okay! I finally did it and yes it's much tighter now and no gap!!!

The tint shop really screwed it up, it was not hooked back properly. It's harder than it looks though but doable with lots patience and energy. I ended up replacing some clips too cause some are worn out already and 1 is missing.

Congrats! I'm a little afraid to tackle this. I have an appointment setup on Sautrday to have this fixed but if they don't do it right then I may have to get in there and do it myself. So I'm understanding right, the clips you had to hook in are behind the panel right? So in order to tighten this up you need to take off the door panel? Where did you buy new clips? Excuse my lack of knowledge. I"m new at this.

Quick Reply: Loose Door Panels