GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Loose Door Panels

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-15, 08:21 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. Don't walk out of the dealer until it is fixed. Even a beginner tech can fix this. It was probably the tint tech that did it the first time. A lexus certified tech will fix this in 5 minutes.
Old 07-09-15, 08:25 AM
jarabanos
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds good. I appreciate the faith!
Old 07-09-15, 09:07 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by jarabanos
Congrats! I'm a little afraid to tackle this. I have an appointment setup on Sautrday to have this fixed but if they don't do it right then I may have to get in there and do it myself. So I'm understanding right, the clips you had to hook in are behind the panel right? So in order to tighten this up you need to take off the door panel? Where did you buy new clips? Excuse my lack of knowledge. I"m new at this.
U can buy the clips at the dealer and yea all the clips are behind the door panel.

The problem is not how quick can the tech do this, it's how careful they are with ur car. The steps requires prying parts off the panels and if ur not careful u can bend, scratch, and crack stuff.
Old 07-09-15, 10:44 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

My point was not the speed, but more the fact that this is super easy and can be done quickly by someone who has done it before. Obviously a good dealer won't tear up your car. Maybe we are lucky here to have a good dealer who treats the cars carefully.
Old 07-09-15, 12:17 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Yes very lucky cause every time I got my car back there is always new scratches on the interior panels. These are just for oil changes, imagine if u have them take apart the panels. So I'm sorry if I'm being paranoid cause of my OCD and bad service experiences.
Old 07-09-15, 03:15 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Yes very lucky cause every time I got my car back there is always new scratches on the interior panels. These are just for oil changes, imagine if u have them take apart the panels. So I'm sorry if I'm being paranoid cause of my OCD and bad service experiences.
I couldn't agree with you more and feel the same way about my stuff...
Old 07-11-15, 11:27 AM
jarabanos
Driver

Welp... Bad news. Took it to Lexus today and they confirmed broken clips on both the door panel as well as the window switch panel. Total cost of parts and labor $400+. They blamed the tint shop and said this is not covered under warranty since it was the result of aftermarket modifications. I called the tint shop and they said they do not touch the window switch when they do tint work but he did say its possible they pulled back the plastic panel near the window glass. He offered to check it out and fix it today so let's see what happens. At least I know why the rattling is happening.
Old 07-11-15, 04:06 PM
jarabanos
Driver

Update: Went back to the tint shop to have them take a look and they confirmed broken clips and a few plugs, all of which they replaced free of charge and in less than 30 minutes.. And to think I could have spent $400 for the same repairs.... Lol. Below is how my doors are looking now!

If anyone else has this issue its worth taking it in to have fixed but beware If Lexus tries to pin the blame on your tint installer as they will not cover this under warranty. Best to go back to the installer and have them take care of it if you trust them.
Old 07-11-15, 04:26 PM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Nice work!
Old 07-11-15, 05:05 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,176 Likes on 1,559 Posts

So...your tint installer left you with multiple loose panels, broken clips and missing plugs. Sounds like they did a pretty crappy job that irritated you and cost you time, effort and money. And another trip back to visit them, which they fixed for you at (wait for it) no charge. Why didn't they fix it right to begin with?
Old 07-11-15, 05:27 PM
jarabanos
Driver

I wish I would have been done right from the start but it is what it is. I'm just glad it was fixed and that I didn't have to come up with any cash.

One thing that was interesting is that the Lexus tech showed me the driver side power window switch panel (since I complained about it rattling) and it too had a broken clip. But my tint installer doesn't remove this assembly when he does his work. I can verify that. I got my car as a pre-owned lease so I'm wondering if this happened at some point before I took possession of it. This led me to wonder if all of the damaged clips and plugs had been there from the get go and I just never noticed it before. The shop I go to is very reputable but hey, mistakes happen. As long as they are remidiated then I'm happy.
Old 07-11-15, 06:31 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,176 Likes on 1,559 Posts

I wish I would have been done right from the start but it is what it is. I'm just glad it was fixed and that I didn't have to come up with any cash.

One thing that was interesting is that the Lexus tech showed me the driver side power window switch panel (since I complained about it rattling) and it too had a broken clip. But my tint installer doesn't remove this assembly when he does his work. I can verify that. I got my car as a pre-owned lease so I'm wondering if this happened at some point before I took possession of it. This led me to wonder if all of the damaged clips and plugs had been there from the get go and I just never noticed it before. The shop I go to is very reputable but hey, mistakes happen. As long as they are remidiated then I'm happy.
I'm glad you got it fixed too, and at no cost to you. I suspect you are right - something took place with your car prior to you buying it that caused [at least] the window switch panel clip to get broken...and maybe all the clips and missing plugs for the door panels. Still though - I am more than a little surprised that this was not brought to your attention by the tint shop if they removed the panels to tint your windows.
Old 07-12-15, 07:53 AM
SSTG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I missing something here? The window switch panel does indeed have to be removed to remove the screw behind it so that the door panel can come off. The WSP was firmly in place on my car when I removed it and I could very easily see where it could be broken if not removed carefully.
Old 07-12-15, 12:32 PM
jarabanos
Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
I'm glad you got it fixed too, and at no cost to you. I suspect you are right - something took place with your car prior to you buying it that caused [at least] the window switch panel clip to get broken...and maybe all the clips and missing plugs for the door panels. Still though - I am more than a little surprised that this was not brought to your attention by the tint shop if they removed the panels to tint your windows.
The more I'm looking into this, the more I'm thinking they did not know how to properly remove the door panel to prevent damage to the clips. Funny thing is the shop owner has a 4GS and after my gap was fixed and pins/clips were replaced, I pointed out the same issue on his car and he is having his installers fix the issue on his car.

Originally Posted by SSTG
Am I missing something here? The window switch panel does indeed have to be removed to remove the screw behind it so that the door panel can come off. The WSP was firmly in place on my car when I removed it and I could very easily see where it could be broken if not removed carefully.
From what I saw, they pried apart the panel from the top portion of the door assembly in order to do their work... Now I'm starting to see where maybe they did not do this properly. Especially considering my above comment about the shop owner's 4GS with the same gap issue.

Yikes...

Well at the very least, all the clips and pins were replaced, gap and rattles are gone, and I'm satisfied. I doubt I'll be doing anymore business with them though. This was my first experience with this kind of issue and now that I know what to look for in the future, I'll make sure the tint installer removes the door panel properly if they do that. From what I'm hearing, most installers are not removing door panels as part of the tint process.